Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Back to School
Customer Discussions > Diablo III forum

The 1-star reviews are fringe and distorted.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 267 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 26, 2012 8:38:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2012 1:12:02 AM PDT
FCF says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 9:42:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 9:44:14 PM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
Simply not true.

Metacritic (after almost 6,000 real gamers reviews) rates D3 at...3.9/10 (!).
>>> http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii/user-reviews.

It is only the "professional" reviewers who rate the game according to its hype. Understandably. After all, this is ACTIVISION/BLIZZARD and they would not want their magazine or gaming site blacklisted. Free preview copies of upcoming games and those gaming convention trips are not going to pay themselves.

Thousands gamers here and even more thousands there, they all regret buying the game and some even made the time to publicize their complaints. The game simply failed to deliver and it demands the gamer to keep jumping through hoops in order to play it.

I would call this a very disappointing game.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 10:27:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 10:27:29 PM PDT
lols at "fringe "

try 2-1 ratio , for 1 star reviews to all other ratings on Amazon. nice try . show me one other example .. and I may buy it.

but GJ, you can now tell Jay what you typed on line last night, B4 you both clock in .

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 10:52:53 PM PDT
Shanghaied says:
Clay, my best advice to you is not to worry too much about reviews or "public outcry," especially if you're already enjoying and playing the game.

Despite whatever anyone wants to tell you, Diablo 3 hasn't failed.

If you'd like another example of a game that was bombed and was still relatively successful, head on over to the PC Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 page. 2/5 stars, yet it sold very well and was considered a success. Being multiplat did help, but supposedly the game was going to be a "massive failure" due to the absence of dedicated servers (and in large part, the MP portion of the game remains a hacker infested mess).

I to this day refuse to play it, because of their institution of IW.net. I pleaded with others here and on the Steam forums to not buy the game.

People still bought the game in droves.

People still bought it's sequel, MW3, in droves (which again, received a 3/5 star rating).

The community is consistently challenged to "stand up for it's rights," and consistently fails to do so. That's because people would rather spend their time playing games than protesting crap like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 2:04:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2012 2:53:44 AM PDT
FCF says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 2:29:55 AM PDT
Kruger says:
Lies! We don't bride reviewers!! We kidnap their families and hold them hostage until glowing and positive reviews are created!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 4:30:42 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
Give it some time - and stock market necessity...

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 6:01:03 AM PDT
Red Guy says:
On amazon.de the "fringe" minority is even bigger. Diablo 3 scores there more 1 star reviews than the total number of reviews on amazon.com

The title of a 1 star review from amazon.de is so funny that I have to quote it here for your amusement: "Diablo 3, das neue Farmville"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 9:42:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2012 9:43:09 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
The new FarmVille, indeed!

To quote Arnold: "Das ist ...Faaannny!"

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 11:32:17 AM PDT
David Koppel says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 7:39:14 PM PDT
Greyimp says:
You're deluded if you think the numbers (even from the small portion of the pop reflected on Amazon) are trumped up. 3x the people hate this game compared to the satisfied mouse clickers. It's BORING.
It's too simple.
It's too short.
It's not even a shadow of D2. Take bad WOW farm concepts and combine them with the worst console 2 button masher and there you have it... D3.
What I won't forget is the refund I got. TYVM

Posted on Jun 28, 2012 8:46:09 PM PDT
Impetigo says:
I checked the German Amazon site as mentioned by someone above and found:

4.111 Rezensionen
5 Sterne:
(609)
4 Sterne:
(215)
3 Sterne:
(178)
2 Sterne:
(285)
1 Sterne:
(2.824)

Translated: >4,000 reviews, >2,800 1-star reviews, only 600 5-star reviews, 2-star overall review.

Amazing that the Germans are even more fed up with D3 than the picky, entitled Americans are ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 10:35:28 PM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
And we are talking a nation that enjoys electropop, stiff leather pants and endless quantities of boiled cabbage.

D3 did not make the cut in Baywatch-is-watchable-and-David-Hasselhof-is-Emmy-material country!

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 6:01:59 AM PDT
Duster says:
Neuro that might be just the reason it's bombed there... The Hof wasn't in it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 7:51:11 AM PDT
David Koppel says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 10:25:04 AM PDT
Greyimp says:
I just happen to be a part of the majority. My review is pointed and the reasons I think this game is worthless are listed in my posts. The truth is this game is boring. It's too short. It's either under or overtuned depending on the level you're at. If there's even 1 review by a fanboy or Bliz employee all the 5 star reviews are invalid as well. I've also seen 5 star reviews from people who don't own games and sometimes they're even rabid. Clay F might be one of them.
I've played the whole thing at every level and it pained me to do so. If you're going to tag a game with a franchise name at least copy the old one and improve the graphics. They couldn't even do that.
Money grab.
Weak effort.
WOW farming as a business model is painfully bad and people hate it.
Hey guys! Lets make the cost to repair absurd and watch them scream! Yay!
You like it? Great. But don't go around crying foul because the majority of people are dissatisfied with this product. Check the D3 forums... you might see all the complaints if you check often enough before big brother removes the posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 12:32:49 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
Duster, you are right.
The Hof can make everything look better!

Even Diablo3.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 12:37:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2012 12:40:19 AM PDT
In all honesty from someone who has been watching reviews from day 1 and reading every new wave.

1. Roughly the same amount of 5-star reviews and 1 star reviews are trash proportional to the total reviews of each. The 5 star reviews write worthless unsupported trash just as much as the 1 star reviews.

2. Clay has commented on literally hundreds of 1-2 star reviews using mostly copy pasta questions and responses. As my lunchtime internet at work blows I used one day just lolling at his tenacity.

3. 5 star reviews are actually alot more inconsistent than 1 star reviews. 1 star reviews are very clear about the points they dislike and paint a consistent picture. 5 star reviews range from this is a great game with X, Y, Z problems, to there is no problems, to the problems are over, to the problems don't happen as much anymore. The lack of consistency is striking.

4. 5 star reviews tend to be lies. It take 1-2 game breaking deals to justify a 1 star rating. However it takes near perfection to deserve a 5 star rating. When 5 star ratings are often criticizing several moderate to major flaws in the game then that rating is therefore false. You do not give a perfect 100 to a game with many moderate or any severe flaws. Doing so does a fair amount of invalidation of your opinion when you yourself mention those flaws.

5. Blizzard tried to run all of Asia off of China's servers and the amount they were overwhelmed was LOL massive. The amount of stupid there was amazing.

6. They are not the fringe minority. Customers have risen up across the world. Germany and France have sicked their legal dogs on Blizzard for inexcusably poor service and false advertising, France's version of the FTC alone got over 1,500 complaints within 4 days. Korea actually RAIDED Blizzard Korea and the internet Cafe's there are suing Blizzard since Blizzard was charging them royalties to access a game that was unavailable forcing them to give out refunds to their clientele. Speaking of refunds Korea FORCED Blizzard to issue refunds to any of their general populace seeking them within 15 days or under set level limits (40 for a limited time and 20 indefinitely).

Ironically Blizzard said any server problems after June 2nd was the players fault. France let that and the online only go so they could pursue the fact it violates their fair trade agreement. It's not an MMORPG and does not receive the same stipulations and protections. Germany is pursuing them legally because they violated the consumer laws there. Germany requires the online-only and inability to resale (B-net account tied) be clearly labeled on the box. It was completely absent.

This is not a niche thing, a fringe effort, or just a bunch of whiners who never played the game. Blizzard royally screwed up and they are paying for it. Legally, reputation, and financially. I've never seen so many people disputing charges, pursuing refunds, and blocking charges on their account for a video game. Or the amount of people advising others on how to do so. It's pretty wild, but it's definitely not fiction or "fringe" lol.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 12:57:39 AM PDT
I'd be interested to see how many refunds have happened. Even 10% would be incredibly telling in scale. But the number would have to be wrested out of them, just like the falling WOW subs numbers had to be.

Posted on Jun 30, 2012 3:53:33 AM PDT
AGB says:
Clay, if you love the game, post a 5 star review and let it go.

I gave a lot of consideration to the game before deciding to go one star with my review. I've been very happy with Blizzard products in the past, but there is no excuse for Diablo 3's incomplete state and the corporate money-mongering present in the RMAH (among other things). While you claim the reviews are "distorted" and "fringe", you're downplaying legitimate and well thought out reviews and making yourself look like a Blizzard fanboy who would buy and stand behind anything the studio released, no matter how bad.

This is how the system works. Blizzard releases a bad game and gamers need to push back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 3:53:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2012 3:56:19 AM PDT
FCF says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2012 3:54:46 AM PDT
FCF says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:39:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2012 11:56:08 AM PDT
T. E. Maddox says:
"1. Roughly the same amount of 5-star reviews and 1 star reviews are trash proportional to the total reviews of each. The 5 star reviews write worthless unsupported trash just as much as the 1 star reviews."

I kind of question that statement based on my unscientific observation. Not that the 5-star reviews were not crap (they were since most were just reactions to the 1 star reviews) but that they were equal in number.

I started to tally the number of 1 star and 5 star reviews in just the first 2 days after release, figuring that in most cases these were people with definite opinions before the game was even released. There were literally hundreds of them. Before I got bored with the process the 1-star reviews had large lead.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:54:18 AM PDT
Shanghaied says:
"Germany is pursuing them legally because they violated the consumer laws there. Germany requires the online-only and inability to resale (B-net account tied) be clearly labeled on the box. It was completely absent."

http://lone0001.ca/gallery/Unboxings/Diablo_3_Unboxing/IMG_1648.JPG

Here in the US, you can clearly see all of this information printed on the bottom of the box. Blizzard TRULY must be evil if it's selectively omitting information on boxes in different regions.

"Germany and France have sicked their legal dogs on Blizzard for inexcusably poor service and false advertising, France's version of the FTC alone got over 1,500 complaints within 4 days. "

Get your facts straight. Neither government is "pursuing" them; there are consumer watch groups that believe they can bring suit based on the respective country's laws. In France, the consumer watchdog group Que Choisir is a consumer rights group that is unaffiliated with the French Government. They're threatening to bring suit against Blizzard; whether they have standing or not is the question. In Germany, it's the same with a group called VZVB, except it deals with packaging and advertisement.

General source here: http://www.geek.com/articles/games/blizzard-in-trouble-over-diablo-iii-drm-in-france-and-germany-20120618/

Blizzard can completely bypass all of it by acting within 15 days of the complaints filed by these groups, in both cases.

Personally, I find it hilarious that the crux of the complaint rests on "false advertising." Not only is the info on the box, it's such a huge issue for anyone playing the game that I seriously wonder how anyone could be "misled" and remain unaware of the requirement.

In France, the reason for the potential outages is because of burgeoning demand. Too many people want to play the game and they need additional server resources to handle the demand.

Even so, if the servers are insufficient they should be complaining to someone about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 6:55:39 AM PDT
Shanghaied says:
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Diablo III forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  267
Initial post:  Jun 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Diablo III
Diablo III by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac OS X Intel, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
2.5 out of 5 stars (3,866)