- Publisher: Pan; Main Market Ed. edition (January 15, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1447286316
- ISBN-13: 978-1447286318
- Product Dimensions: 5.1 x 0.8 x 7.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 7.8 ounces
- Customer Reviews: 2,197 customer ratings
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#526,509 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #102083 in Textbooks
100 Startup Main Market Ed. Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and Amazon Prime.
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you grow your business. Learn more about the program.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought these eBooks
Customers who viewed this item also viewed these digital items
BRAND NEW, Exactly same ISBN as listed, Please double check ISBN carefully before ordering.
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I recommend skipping this and getting books that either have much more substance, eg this Start Your Own Business, Sixth Edition: The Only Startup Book You'll Ever Need, or, a this great book I just found that not only is immensely better written but is also more practical and motivating: The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide to Creating Success on Your Own Terms
Top international reviews
1. It's basic. I mean really basic. It is full of simplistic suggestions such as "every morning, set aside 45 minutes to think about your business. What can you do to move things ahead (p.235)", and "in deciding what to sell, the best approach is to sell what people buy (p.33)". The patronizing guidance it provides almost assumes that the reader is unaware of really, really obvious and sensible things, which is really frustrating.
2. It is full of superficial examples based on random people - Kyle, Gary, Sarah - who are these people? And some of the examples appear unhelpful. For example, the author tells the story of Kyle Hepp, who got fired from her job, but having dabbled in a little photography before, she decided to take up wedding photography with her husband and now they earn $90,000 a year. This is one of many unhelpful anecdotes based on random people and unnamed companies (which by the way, sound completely made up) which add zero value for the reader.
3. All of the case studies in the book are about people who quit their jobs and do microbusinesses that earn them between $40,000 and $60,000 a year. In the greater scheme of things, that isn't too bad a salary, but remember this book is aimed at telling you to quit your job, and note the average salary in the UK is £35,423 (US$46,014). My point is, if you are telling people to quit a comfortable, steady job to start a start up, basing your "success stories" around start-ups that generate just about the same amount of money is not exactly inspiring. In fact, it is quite de-motivating. We need to be realistic. People have families to feed. Who on earth would quit a stable job to start their own business and expose themselves to financial risk (there is actually a chapter on failure in the book) just to end up in the same position financially?
In summary, if you are as good an entrepreneur as this author is a writer of start-up books, don't quit your day job.
- Good motivation to start a business (no excuses)
- Many success stories and business examples
- Easy read although sometimes it is hard to follow the different stories (the author leaves a story pending, tells 10 others and then comes back to it when we already forgot what the original story was)
- Barely any substantial tool or technique to benefit the reader (not like the previously mentioned book)
- I personally had the feeling that I already knew most of what was in the book
But I highly recommend this book for those who want to build their company (even if it is a small or a medium one!) And don't want to work on someone's supervision, want to be the boos of own, this book for you guys. Make sure you complete the book. Even if you don't I am sure you will do something on your own by then!!!
This is my first ever type of "StartUp" book -- read!! And I thoroughly enjoyed it!!
I personally found Chris Guillebeau's -- "The $100 Startup" a very thrilling and inspirational read!! And I would highly recommend this book to ALL who are looking for deep inspiration -- or even to awaken their passion to start-up a business they would love!!
This is one of the books that will definitely need to have your hands on, even if you read it, either to remind you of many things or as reference on your way to becoming your own boss.
This book really helped me go for it. It just makes you realize how simple an online business can be. It's the perfect platform to discover whether your idea will triumph or not in no time (and no cost). I believe there are many people in my situation, wanting to go solo but not having the time or motivation because of your full-time jobs. This book comes in handy because it aso demonstrates that you can start small, very small and just keep meeting people at events, go to online meetups, co-working and networking spaces.
I strongly recommend this book to anyone who desires to change his daily life at least a little bit for the better.
PS: I decided to buy this same book to my father because even though hes been there and done it, a little reminder of how the business world really starts of it's no harm to anyone. Moreover, he absolutely loved it!