Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

Brentwood KT-1780 Tea Kettle Silver
Size: 1.5 L|Color: Silver|Change

on August 4, 2012
Who needs an electric kettle? The stove top kind work just fine! I don't need another appliance cluttering up the place!
I thought all of those things too. How wrong I was! I've had this bad boy for a day and I can not tell you how stupid I feel for not only doubting its awesomeness but also for not having bought one years ago.
Let's get into the nitty gritty:
It's fully stainless steal on the inside with the cap up top being the only piece near the water that is plastic. There is no funky chemical or plastic smell with this kettle. The heating element is in the base of the kettle, not the inside.
The water level markings, as someone else mentioned, are on the handle side of the inner chamber which really isn't that big of a convenience unless you want to fill it to the max level.'
*edit: I wrote here about the lid no securing and was corrected! The lid DOES lock into place with a snap.
It will automatically turn off as soon as water comes to a boil. I have a small studio apartment and can hear the "click" of this turning off no matter where I am.
You can set the kettle down any which way on the base and it will work, there is no "secured position" that it needs to be. Handle may face any direction.
Another small feature I really enjoyed was the cord to this can be wrapped up INSIDE the base and secured so that while not in use the cord is completely out of the way. You can wrap it around once for a smaller cord or twice to completely hide it. Such a nice feature since I have such a tiny kitchen!
It heats up pretty quickly, faster than water on the stove.

**Update 1/21/2014** This kettle has brewed its last cuppa. I purchased this August 1st, 2012 and today when I went to unplug it the grounding plug stuck in the outlet. It lasted about a year and half. Don't regret my purchase at all. I used this daily to brew many, many cups of tea. I thought about upgrading to a better one but the price jump is so significant I might just buy another one of these.
review image
44 comments| 190 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 24, 2012
I bought this electric kettle after my stove top kettle needed replacement. It is great -- it boils water very quickly and turns itself off automatically which is a great safety feature. I did a lot of research before I purchased this model, I highly recommend this one -- it gets good reviews and there is no plastic inside the kettle -- many of the others have plastic viewers that are immersed in the hot water, I did not want my hot water in contact with plastic. I haven't found any negative aspects to this kettle and have been using it daily for over three months.
1414 comments| 502 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 7, 2017
I had my Brentwood kettle for about 2 or 2.5 years. It was good while it lasted. The auto-shutoff never failed me a single time, and a fully filled kettle would go from room-temperature or slightly cool to a rolling boil in about 2-3 minutes. Throughout the two years, I've only had a few rare occasions where the water tasted a little off after coming through the kettle, but a thorough washing of the interiors usually took care of the problem. The inside of the kettle is completely metal (with the exception of the lid), so there's no need to worry about less heat-resistant plastic coming into contact with the water during the boiling process. My kettle did eventually die of an electrical failure. The connection point is exposed, so there's a chance it might come into contact with water if you aren't careful. I think a little water either got on the bottom of the kettle or onto the base in my case. Either way, there was a pretty dramatic electrical spark that accompanied my kettle's death. Didn't set anything on fire, but it did startle me a bit. But for a more careful user (because I'll admit, I always get water on everything), the kettle should last a good long time.
on March 5, 2015
I purchased this kettle on January 2014 and have been using it daily since. I use this kettle at least once a day to heat up water for tea. The kettle has seen extensive usage over the past year and is still in excellent cosmetic and functioning condition.

POSITIVES:

• The kettle boils water extremely fast
• Neutral water taste, no leftover plastic or metal taste like other products
• Turns off automatically
• Compact and portable
• STAINLESS STEEL (I cannot stress the importance of purchasing a stainless steel kettle over a plastic kettle!)

NEGATIVES:

• The only real negative is the three prong plug. I live in an older apartment and have to use an adapter in order for this kettle to work with my two prong outlets.

OVERALL:

• Aside from the minor inconvenience of a three prong plug, this is an absolutely perfect kettle and a complete steal for the price.
on June 27, 2012
The Brentwood KT-1780 is an excellent kettle. It holds 1.5 liters of water, heats it quickly, has automatic shut-off, and is aesthetically pleasing.

After a friend of mine introduced me to the wonders of using a French Press to brew coffee, I decided that I need to get my own French Press. In addition to the press, I wanted a counter top electric kettle to heat the water. My parents have used one for years to heat water for tea and instant coffee, and I have always been impressed with how well theirs works. I would have purchased the model they use, but it only comes in white, which doesn't match the black granite and stainless steel of my kitchen. A search on Amazon lead me to this one.

The price was reasonable, shipping was fast, and the product arrived undamaged. It is made of a decent gauge stainless steel, has no plastic that touches the hot water or imparts unpleasant taste or odor, and has a nice appearance. It works very well, and boils 1.5 liters of cold water in about three minutes.

I am pleased with both the kettle and the Amazon merchant, My1StopShop. Recommended.
on May 19, 2016
Typical American households purchase the 2 Liter version of a water pot, this 1.5 Liter version actually turned out to be much smaller than I was anticipating, basically you're going to be able to boil enough water for only 1 French Press for example. My purpose was originally to boil water for health reasons and then to pour from it as a pitcher. However I realized as a single person in a small apartment this actually turns out to be just enough for what I usually need and I'll just pour out the rest in a separate pitcher and reboil water if needed.

But suffice to say what American knows what a Liter even looks like? The picture is accurate but obviously without context it's not a good judge of size. Beware!

Pros: Boils fast as a smaller pitcher, it's pretty much all stainless except cap. Has light indicator and easy to use button. Auto shut off. Wrap up internal cord.

Cons: Would prefer the underside of the cap be stainless or other material. The water is condensing on the plastic and dripping down, so there goes avoidance of BPAs. You could always boil it without the cap over it.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on August 27, 2012
Update (9/12/2012): we're in the process of returning this and already have received an Aroma as its replacement. My wife, usually not picky about these things, complained about the smaller capacity and also the slower heating time, which I also found annoying as time went on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got this to replace the Aroma AWK-115S Hot H20 X-Press 1-1/2-Liter Cordless Water Kettle which had died after 33 months. I thought this ridiculous. My wife thought otherwise: "What do you expect these days? Appliances from the 50's?"

However I went ahead and ordered this instead. We've had it two weeks now. It's smaller (doesn't matter for us) and doesn't heat as fast. Doesn't make as strong a click when it shuts off so a few times I've missed it when I've stepped out of the room. Not a big deal. There's no outside water gauge though it was often hard to see the level in the Aroma and I'm getting used to judging by looking at the amount when I add water. The Brentwood has a dull stainless steel sheen which we like better and matches that of our fridge.

IOW it's OK and the question for me is its durability.
on August 17, 2012
This is very fast and efficient for boiling water for my iced tea. I love this tea kettle very much, and will admit that I labored over this for weeks on end prior to electing to purchase this particular kettle. (I take my tea VERY seriously!!) (smile) What is so cool about this is the fact that the kettle sits on a little black plate with the heating element in the center of the plate, which also has the electric cord attached to this plate. The tea pot itself is completely cordless, with the on / off switch on the handle in a very convenient location. You sit the kettle on top of the hot plate to heat your water, so there is absolutely ZERO exposure of your water to any plastics or heating element at all. The only plastic is the lid. There is a water guage on the back under the handle, and I have not quite figured out how this works, because you cannot see the water guage on the inside of the kettle itself, so it is not exposed to your water either, which I like. I worry about the plastics with boiling water, but that is really not an issue in the slightest with this kettle. I love it, and would buy it again. I wish I had purchased it sooner. The only difference I could see is that I would probably purchase a larger tea kettle next time because I drink a LOT of tea every day. I am really a stickler about my water being exposed to the plastics and the electrical unit, etc. There is nothing but pure brushed stainless steel inside this kettle. Love it,and I am sure you will too. Just be careful you do not fill it to the spout, or it will boil over if you are not watching it. It does turn itself off too, by the way! What more could you want in a tea kettle. I love mine!!
on October 13, 2014
I bought my Brentwood KT-1780 in March, 2013, 19 months ago. My housemate and I have used it at least once or twice a day since then. It finally bit the bullet yesterday. I'm disappointed that it didn't last longer, but I figure that it gave us close to a thousand pots of hot water and so I won't complain.

Pros: heats very quickly, easy to clean, all stainless inside (except for the lid). Easy to fill and easy to pour boiling water from it without a spill. The cord is attached to the base and the pot lifts off the base to pour, so the cord never gets in the way.

Con: I always added water to the pot after emptying it, but my new housemate would empty it and then leave. This should be fine, but twice in the past month I came home to find the pot hot and empty and the button in the "on" position. Our best guess is that the automatic shut-off didn't work when the pot was empty. So now we both check for that.

So it's not perfect but it's darned great and I don't expect to find something better in this price range. I'm ordering a replacement KT-1780 today.

UPDATE: I received my new KT-1780 and it's working great. I was curious to see whether it was the pot or the base that failed in the first one, so I planted the old pot on the new base. It worked! Then just out of curiousity I plugged in the old base and put the new pot on it. It worked, too. In fact, the old pot and base now work together.

I noticed in the little manual that we should never pour water into it when it's sitting on the base, as getting the base wet is a bit no-no. I had gotten the base around the time it failed, and I'm guessing that maybe once it fully dried out it started to work again. So I'm taking the old pot to work and have increased my review to 5 stars.
on September 8, 2016
I loved my original electric tea kettle (GE brand) that looked very similar to this one. This particular model that I just ordered took forever and ever to heat, and the lid had to be pried open - it kept getting stuck. the off/on switch is on the handle, in a spot that seemed like it would be a problem; also, there was no clear see-through window for the inside water level, like my old one. I stood and waited to see how long this one would take to heat up the water for several fillings; the element seemed to be straining to heat. Who has time to watch for water to boil?! I won't buy this same model again. Thankfully, dear old Amazon is being good about picking up the reboxed order, via UPS, and refunding my money. Thanks, Amazon. I do love you, but not the kettle!