Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 2,248 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,365 reviews
on August 4, 2012
Who needs an electric kettle? The stove top kind work just fine! I don't need another appliance cluttering up the place!
I thought all of those things too. How wrong I was! I've had this bad boy for a day and I can not tell you how stupid I feel for not only doubting its awesomeness but also for not having bought one years ago.
Let's get into the nitty gritty:
It's fully stainless steal on the inside with the cap up top being the only piece near the water that is plastic. There is no funky chemical or plastic smell with this kettle. The heating element is in the base of the kettle, not the inside.
The water level markings, as someone else mentioned, are on the handle side of the inner chamber which really isn't that big of a convenience unless you want to fill it to the max level.'
*edit: I wrote here about the lid no securing and was corrected! The lid DOES lock into place with a snap.
It will automatically turn off as soon as water comes to a boil. I have a small studio apartment and can hear the "click" of this turning off no matter where I am.
You can set the kettle down any which way on the base and it will work, there is no "secured position" that it needs to be. Handle may face any direction.
Another small feature I really enjoyed was the cord to this can be wrapped up INSIDE the base and secured so that while not in use the cord is completely out of the way. You can wrap it around once for a smaller cord or twice to completely hide it. Such a nice feature since I have such a tiny kitchen!
It heats up pretty quickly, faster than water on the stove.

**Update 1/21/2014** This kettle has brewed its last cuppa. I purchased this August 1st, 2012 and today when I went to unplug it the grounding plug stuck in the outlet. It lasted about a year and half. Don't regret my purchase at all. I used this daily to brew many, many cups of tea. I thought about upgrading to a better one but the price jump is so significant I might just buy another one of these.
review image
44 comments| 183 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2012
The kettle was a replacement for a plastic kind that I had used previously. After my "old" kettle broke down (the water level window popped off) I had decided to aim for something a bit better built without any windows or weaknesses where water could eventually find its way through.

Picked this kettle as it seemed to fit the criteria. No plastic cheap viewing window, won't break easily if dropped (not tested) unlike the glass kettle(s) and reviews seem favorable. Bought the kettle and put it to use as soon as it arrived on June 23rd 2011 (literally minutes after it arrived I had washed it, boiled one max fill and poured it down the drain to prep the kettle).

It has been used on daily bases (multiple times) up until about 3 days ago when I noticed that kettle is displaying curious symptoms, namely I will turn the kettle on and it would not boil water until I turn it off and then on again. Also sometimes it will start to boil the water but then cut out half way through or turn on and off in random cycles. It is still usable, simple turn off and on usually fixes the problem and kettle boils the water as expected.

It has lasted Almost 10 months without any issues, no spills, no leaks and nothing broke off (yet!). For the price I'd say it served it's purpose well enough although product life expectancy might be something to be longed for in this case. Having said that I am giving this product 4 stars out of 5. Others might have had better luck with their orders of this product however, so I would recommend basing your decision on more than one review.

UPDATE (December 3rd 2012): It has been almost a year and a half since I bought this kettle so I believe I can comment on it's performance and life-expectancy a bit better. Since the kettle is still operational (with occasional glitches described above) I have upgraded the rating to full 5 stars.

The kettle still works as well as it did when I wrote the original review. An occasional mishap when the kettle fails to turn on or cuts out during the use before it finishes the job it has survived through is not enough of an issue. It's more of a nuisance that I have learnt to accept. The kettle works as well as expected for a product that was designed by an imperfect being (a human I hope?).

The upgrade of the rating is due to the simple fact that the kettle has not developed any additional issues (no leaks, no broken parts or bits missing) ,it looks exactly as it did when it arrived 12.5 months ago (maybe not as clean I'll admit, since I can never get into little nooks an crannies around the handle).

UPDATE (March 15th 2013): A curious development with the kettle. The issue that I had described before where it would fail to turn on or it would turn off too early etc. has now vanished. Kettle is still performing as when it was when we first got it which actually amazes me as I am one of those people that think companies nowadays tend to design their products to fail within a certain period of time and therefore make us buy products more frequently. The kettle did not develop any new issues after being used every day on average about 4 times (sometimes more often). If I HAD to pick one thing to complain about I'd say that the base is too light which means that the heavy duty cable will move it about depending on how you have it positioned. Obviously this is picking at straws so to say, honestly it has lasted longer than any kettle I've used before (and I've used a few back in the UK). This one's definitely recommended if you want something that will last you.

UPDATE (December 26th 2013): Last time when I used this kettle it was still working as previously no new issues had been noted and no new developments or failures. Unfortunately we have moved onto a different device that's a little faster and more convenient (Keurig B70 Platinum Brewing System), this will likely be the last update. All in all the kettle performed better than more expensive and cheaper ones that we've used before it. I would definitely recommend it!
66 comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2012
I bought this electric kettle after my stove top kettle needed replacement. It is great -- it boils water very quickly and turns itself off automatically which is a great safety feature. I did a lot of research before I purchased this model, I highly recommend this one -- it gets good reviews and there is no plastic inside the kettle -- many of the others have plastic viewers that are immersed in the hot water, I did not want my hot water in contact with plastic. I haven't found any negative aspects to this kettle and have been using it daily for over three months.
1414 comments| 501 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2013
Like many others I was intimidated by the scary California cancer warning label on the box. I'm glad it didn't stop me from buying it. I'm a US Soldier and am deployed right now. My guys and I use the kettle everyday from making soft boiled eggs, Ramon noodles, or most of all, heating water for a good cup of herbal tea. I guess it is made with something that might give you cancer though, so I have to give it 4 out of 5 stars.
review image review image review image
44 comments| 133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2016
Warning!!! Do not buy this kettle. Extreme fire hazard. I purchased this kettle in December 2015. The internal electrical or heating elements in the base of kettle are melting through to the outside. You can actually smell the wires burning. I have owned several similar kettles and have never seen anything like this before in my life. Obviously this model needs a recall before someone's house burns down!
review image review image
on July 14, 2015
I followed cleaning instructions when it arrived (boiling water twice, then pouring it out), then went to boil water in the morning. I then discovered a rust spot at the bottom! Which is bizarre, since it's supposed to be Stainless steel. 2 things:

1) The fact that it rusted so quickly (after 6 hours?) is a bit concerning.
2) My review might be biased because I'm a little cranky from it delaying my oh-so-vital morning coffee.

Dang! I thought I had found that shopping sweet spot (inexpensive product that's still good quality).

I'll have to return it, and plan to spend a little more for its successor (which I hope won't rust). I guess you get what you pay for!
on August 3, 2016
After a couple of weeks daily use, I like this unit. First off its a very nice shape and the stainless looks great. It takes about 6 1/2 minutes to boil the full 1.2 liters. The automatic off switch is in the lid, so by leaving the lid open with the power on it will keep boiling up steam as long as it holds water. The thing I really like, the handle stays cool and provides a good grip at all times. This is a great safety feature and my reason for adding the 5th star. The kettle pours well from top to bottom. It is a great convenience to have in my mud room.

I have read most of the reviews and know that not everyone has been satisfied. My satisfaction is conditioned on an expectation of reasonably long service life for the price.

Update: After just shy of two months, I used it today and the plastic at the bottom of the kettle melted through, rendering the unit unserviceable. A wire can be seen embedded in the melted plastic. I don't think just under two months is a reasonable service life. My recommendation now is to avoid.
on April 13, 2016
I have had this unit for a year now. I use it multiple times a day. Now the temperature sensor just went out so the water keeps boiling and boiling. I have to keep an eye on it after I start it. Other than that its been a great product for the year it worked. For $20 a year I got my money out of it.
Update: I found the issue with the kettle continuously boiling. The coating on the wires melted and made contact with each other keeping the kettle from turning off. You can see the attached image. A bit dangerous. They should have extended the heat sheathing to extend to the full length of the wire.
on February 11, 2016
Black stuff built up inside, small particles (plastic?) floating on water after boiling. Tried cleaning many times, it didn't help.
on July 19, 2015
I bought this Brentwood 1.2 Liter Stainless Steel Tea Kettle for making coffee and tea. Its design, material and capacity are of my taste. I like it very much.
review image review image review image