Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 135 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 156 reviews
on July 16, 2009
Exactly what I was expecting, over 16 hours of old television commercials from the '50s, '60s & '70s . I would have given this product 5 stars but the picture quality on many of the commercials isn't that good-- I guess that's to be expected. Nothing here has even remotely been digitalized or enhanced in any way. These commercials have been sitting on dusty shelves in a basement somewhere since the last time we saw them, some over 50 years old. For the price it's definately worth it. I bought another series of old commercials last month and paid $25 for only 3 hours. Those exact same commercials are on these DVDs PLUS 13 MORE HOURS!!! One bit of advice if you buy this product...buy two sets. If you lend this out to a baby boomer you'll never see it again.
0Comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2009
The commercials on this disc are of varying quality, but that's to be expected - no one ever thought there'd be a demand for old commercials when they were made, so I imagine they weren't archived very well. Still, there are hundreds of commercials on this disc that'll transport you back to your childhood and make you point at the screen while shouting, "Hey! I remember that!!!" A lot of fun, but best taken in small doses.
33 comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2009
I've been buying disks and tapes of old commercials for about a decade now. This three disk set will likely contain a fair number of the ads that regulars to public domain and retro media sites already have bought before now. But one nice plus this collection has, which the others I have had definitely do not, is a chapter break for each commercial. It's not a complete index of every commercial. It's the ability to hit your remote's chapter advance button and move to the next commercial, one ad at a time, through each disk. This makes cueing specific ads up, or skipping items of less interest to you, much easier than any other collection I've seen. (Most disks on the market seem to be made up of bulk transfers of old ads in 30 to 50 commercial chunks. Much of this material came straight from an online archive of public domain material in this form, and until now, no one has troubled to break it up for easier use.)

The video quality is of a very wide range, and some of the images are a mess. But anyone with a passing-to-serious interest in old commercials, or pop culture from the 50s to the 70s, should pick one of these up for general purposes. It pretty much "retires" about half the commercial sets I have bought up until now.

Note: There's also a section of Drive-In movie promotional films ("Come by our snack bar..."; "Enjoy our mouthwatering hot buttered popcorn...") at the end of the third disk. That was a pleasant surprise.
44 comments| 218 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2010
Even after reading several other reviews about the poor quality of the video, I bought the collection to see them anyway.
I'm glad I did because of the memories many of these commercials bring back. Although I didn't find any indication of what years are covered it looked to me like the 1950's to the early 1970's. It is a 3 DVD set with each disk covering groups of different topics. Some topics have just a few and others have many commercials on the disk. The box says 16 hours of commercials and I won't dispute that. Even I couldn't sit through that many commercials at one time so I've just been watching here and there.

And yeah, the video quality isn't the greatest on many of the commercials. But the viewer needs to keep in mind that like so much from that era of time, most (if not all) of the commercials were on film and not made with the idea of lasting and becoming the cultural significance they'd ultimately become. And to be honest, if you're of my age group (53) and mainly looking for the memory factor this is a great collection and for the Amazon price.
If you want to show family (grand kids) what things were like in the eras represented in the commercials, I think this collection and the commercials included are an excellent snapshot of the clothes and culture of those times!

I grew up in the "Greater Los Angeles area" and do recall quite a few of the commercials, especially the toys and games. And although I never smoked, I think I'd take cigarette commercials again over the medicine commercials shown nowadays!!
I do recommend this collection.
on October 8, 2014
I purchased this for.two older commercial comedies of "Charmin" & "Mister Wifflel"s quote of "Please, don't squeeze the Charmin!" that was so well acted by Dick Wilson 40+ years ago! & expired "Chiffon" margerine's closing line of "It's not nice to fool "Mother Nature!" quote, by Dina Dietrich, back in the early 1970's decade. 63x927is58401.
on December 12, 2011
The numerous commercials contained in these DVDs provide hours of unexpected enjoyment. You'll soon forget that you're watching commercial after commercial as you delve deeper and deeper into a history of popular culture as expressed by the very raison d'être of American television: commercials, after all, finance the shows that stations air to draw audiences that watch the commercials in the first place. The commercials are very well organized on each disc, and the collection of PSAs are both fascinating to watch as well as enjoyable. The quality of the commercials varies from decent to quite poor, but this can only be expected, considering the fact that commercials are generally considered disposable by the industry and are rarely preserved in the same way as television series are.
on January 19, 2013
My 14 yr old boy likes them too so I bought this for his enjoyment. It's great to see how different products were advertised over the years. I still remember a lot of them!

These DVDs arrived on time and seem to work just fine. Thank you so much!
on March 9, 2017
very fun dvd of old commercials
on April 6, 2017
As advertised.
on October 8, 2015
Film quality is variable; some of these I remember well, some I don't.