Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on February 7, 2014
Previously to watch movies on my HDTV that I had stored on my computer, I had to first burn them to disk and then play the DVDs on my Home DVD player hooked to TV. I wanted a way to watch these movies on TV by putting them on a flash drive and playing straight from that instead of burning to disk and using a DVD player. Searched around and landed here to see this one. Pretty good reviews and the product looked to be just what I wanted. Ordered this puppy and got it within a couple of days. I wanted something that would play virtually everything as I have stuff on different formats like .mp4, .avi, .mpeg, .mkv, .vob, etc. I didn't want to have to convert to a specific format each time I wanted to watch one. So far I have copied a full DVD movie to flash drive and it played flawlessly on my TV at 1080p (through HDMI cable to TV), though you do have to play the .vob as it will not play from the .ifo. I then copied a .mkv movie to flash drive and again it found it and plays it great. I plan on trying all the formats I have and will post again if there are any issues with them. One thing I will say is the picture of this product here looks nothing like what it actually is. Unlike in the picture, there are no buttons on the unit and the remote is a lot smaller with less buttons than in the picture (and uses a watch battery). Still gets the job done. From the looks of it, I believe it's made by Micca as it's very similar in looks and the menu looks the same. Doing a search here on Amazon for this type of product shows what seems to be a few spin off Micca clones (as this one appears to be). All in all this player works fine and I'm pretty stoked with it.
22 helpful votes
23 helpful votes
on November 22, 2016
I gave this as a gift to my parents so that they could watch pictures of their grandkids on their tv. However, it never worked. The instructions were in garbled English and very hard to understand. The instructions would tell you to press a certain button, but there was no corresponding button on the remote or device. Once I finally got the device to play the pictures in the SD card, the slide show was so slow and there was no way to change the speed. It was also very difficult to find the files to play on the slide show. I was very disappointed, but seeing as I bought it early as a gift, a reasonable amount of time had passed and didn't want to bother returning it. I gave it 2 stars because it did actually turn on and eventually work (although not in the way it was supposed to) and it was delivered on time.
on April 8, 2015
The instructions are nearly impossible to read. It seems like they were wrtiten in another language then translated into English using an online translater. They don't really make sense. Fortunately, it is very easy to setup. I work with digital media at my job, so I'm familiar, but if you can setup a Bluray player or DirecTv box, you won't have any trouble. My unit was defective, however. Although, the image was beautiful HD, audio played with a lot of static, whether using HDMI or the RCA cables. I even tried different audio output modes and they all sounded awful. After about 5 minutes of use, it quit playing video altogether, in any file format. I'm returning this and may try buying another to see if it's any better. For the price, if it works, it's a great deal. I'm giving it 3 stars under the assumption that mine is defective. If my second one is defective, I'll adjust the rating.
on May 4, 2013
This box arrived brand new in box, before promised. It is only slightly larger than a deck of cards... amazing. I hooked it up and hoped for the best.... well after a short time messing with the set-up, its working great and plays everything I tried with it so far. I will say that although the picture is very good to excellent, the sound seems like it should be better... I am hooked up to a 42" Toshiba Regza via an HDMI cable. If the user manual had been written by someone from this planet, it would have been a near perfect purchase. Really the only question remaining is if this little box will last more than a few weeks, and I will certainly update this review either way. One other minor note, which is hardly worth mentioning, (I LOVE it when folks say that and launch into a complaint tirade), the box claims that batteries are included as well as a usb cable, and neither are included... certainly not the sellers fault, because as mentioned the box was new and sealed. Just a bit of Sino-American mumbo-jumbo, much like the owner's manual. All in all, very satisfied with this product so far and feel for the price we paid, a very good deal. I replaced a defective refurb WD TV Live streaming device with this and a Magnavox streaming box, both new, for less than the guy selling the crappy refurb WD boxes was charging.(the Edeals). So hope this continues to work out.
Edit: 4/5/2013: Ok today I tried playing a couple of HD movie files and they were pixelated to the point of being unwatchable. When I went into the set-up to try and fool with the video options, I find that I can't get the selected '720p' checked option to change to any of the 1080 ones. If I try to select another option, the screen goes black and the unit needs to be reset, (powered off and back on), before the splash screen reappears. Anyone have this problem and find a solution. We know how much help the manual is!
on January 15, 2015
I put in a USB drive and navigated through the directory tree of files on my flash drive, however I was unable to navigate where I wanted, either using the remote or the hard buttons on the box. After pressing many buttons I discovered that you must exit the directory tree menu and re-enter the lower levels, only then can you get to the USB drive that you need. Sometimes chinese characters pop up, sometimes not. Does not see MKV files. Will not recognize my external hard drive - only the flash drive. Obviously the programming logic is poorly done.

The Remote
Making the above more frustrating is the fact that the remote has an annoying 2 second delay so you never know if your button press "takes". In addition to the delay, sometimes the signal doesn't seem to reach the box at all. Very poorly designed remote - is it really necessary to have 41 buttons? They are of course non-illuminated, and the markings are very hard to read. Batteries are not included.

Anyway I did manage to get it to play a couple of movies and the picture quality was fine. However the difficulty in getting it to work is a deal-breaker so mine's going back.
3 helpful votes
on December 21, 2013
I went into this purchase having no knowledge, or expectations on this type of product. I have a 750 gig laptop hdd, in an enclosure, that I keep a load of music in flac, and mp3 format, and many movies and videos in a multitude of formats; you know, the things that one accumulates now-a-days. My regular computer is out of commission at the moment. and my stereo is an older Technics, that I like very much, and I run everything through it. Anyway, I began looking for an inexpensive solution to playing, mainly, my music and movies. Being predictably irrational, I didn't choose the cheapest, nor the most expensive, but ended up with the RMVB MKV, and was pleasantly surprised. It has a no-nonsense interface that is easy understand, and use. I didn't bother reading the directions. It was self-explanatory, and was easy to figure out. An added surprise was the file manager. I could browse the hdd, and see everything that was on it. I have not ran into any music, video, or picture format, (that I have,) that it will not open. In fact, since my purchase of the RMVB MKV, I have purchased a Chromebook. Out of the box, it will not open the number of different formats that this media player will, and I sometimes have to use it to play an occasional video that the Chromebook can't open. All in all, this is one of my better purchases, and I think I will use this unit for many years to come. I highly recommend it to anyone in my position.

(I was not paid for this review. I am just a satisfied customer:)

I have to correct one thing I said in the above review. The file browser will not show all the files: only what it will play. It will show all the folders though.
3 helpful votes
on April 28, 2014
This unit was simple to hook up... just plug in (1) power, (2) input devices (a USB disk drive and an SD card in my case) and (3) the output cable (an HDMI cable in my case). The menu system is intuitive so specifying what to do (movie, music, photos, etc.) and finding the specific file(s) was equally simple. Display resolution and color definition are superb and it appears to recognize and play virtually any format of video, photo, etc.

However, after using it 15 or 20 times I have a number of negative comments to make ranging from simple frustration to major concern:

Frustrating: the firmware easily gets "confused" and will not, for example, play an MP3 track that it previously played. The "fix" is to unplug the power supply and plug it back in (reboot).
Minor: the unit seems unable to tell me how much of the currently playing movie has been consumed (it displays a "progress bar" when playing music; a similar bar would be appreciated when showing a movie).
Minor: the unit does not indicate which movie files have been seen already (but it does remember, if you hit the play button, the most recent "stopping point" so "resuming play" will inform you if you were partway through the movie or were rolling the credits when you shut down that particular movie).
Medium: the remote's buttons do not always get you the result you expected (e.g. the "stop/backup" button does not stop a music track from playing) and, worse, there appears to be no way of "backing up" to the "home screen" (even the "home" button does not get you to that screen); ultimately what you "get back to: is a black screen... the only "fix" is to reboot the unit by powering it off/on).
Frustrating: a video taken in portrait mode is shown in landscape and I've been unable to determine how to rotate it (photos can be easily rotated) so you have to tilt your head sideways to make such a video appear "upright".
MAJOR CONCERN: twice in the relatively few times I've operated this unit it has "completely locked up" while showing a movie (reminds me of the "blue screen of death" on a PC running Vista). When that happens none of the buttons on either the remote or on the unit itself have ANY effect whatsoever; the only solution is to UNPLUG the power supply and plug it back in (the equivalent of rebooting a "frozen PC"). Both times the device recovered but it's memory of the conditions at the time of the failure had been wiped out and, thus, it did not remember the 'restart' point for the movie I was watching. In and of itself the lockup/reboot is merely a frustrating and relatively insignificant process... my real concern is that I suspect this failure to be a symptom of an inherent weakness in the electronics. If that is the case then one of these times recovery may prove to be impossible.

My bottom line: knowing what I now know would I buy this unit again? I don't think so. I would look for a product with similar capabilities and pay a little more in the hopes of getting one that has been programmed better, is less prone to acting "erratically".
on July 30, 2015
Perhaps a generous 4 stars, but for the money it is worth it. It supports 1080P, but not at 120hz. Also, I was hoping while routing video to my TV via the HDMI that I could route the sound through the audio/video cable and only use the audio RCA plugs. I was wrong! If you use HDMI, you get NO audio from the audio/video mini jack on the back.

The menu is easy to navigate, but a bit clunky and delayed. When in settings, you use the directional arrows and enter button in the middle of them. But to get out of those options, you have to choose Exit which wasn't obvious because it wasn't in same part of the remote. I know that's just a minor thing....but took me a minute to get out of the menu.

The part that bugs me is it's easier for me to use the TV's USB port and watch TV that way. I didn't have a way to get my sound through my surround sound system and thought this device would be the ticket. But it is not. I may just relocate it to another room that has a TV without a built-in USB port.

Hope this review helps. Cheers!
on April 6, 2015
So I ordered this product along with an extra HDMI cord to play our downloaded movies off a USB drive. Unfortunately, once I hooked the product up to our TV and switched the input mode to the HDMI port, all i was left was my television saying there was no input device found. Alright, no sweat. I checked the instruction manual because I'm sure I did something wrong, right? Well if I did or did not, I'll never know. The instruction manual was written in broken English and for a completely different model media box than what I received. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. It is a cheaply made piece of plastic from a country where English is not the first or second or even third language spoken.
on April 2, 2014
This media player really surprised me. I'm an indie author, humorist and blogger with 160 videos (so far) that I share for free online, including YouTube but I've never been able to watch any of them at home on my own HDTV. Now I can. I put all 160 videos on a PNY 8GB USB flash player and this gem of a media player plays them all on my TV, full screen, and with good to great sound and video quality. I used the HDMI cable and I can watch my WMV and MP4 video files while I sit in my recliner and share them with other people, without using my PC. The remote is great and this device is easy to hook up and use. It makes no noise itself whatsoever and responds instantly to the remote. I would recommend this device for just about anyone. The "ON" button is on the back of the player, not on the front, and it must be pushed in before the remote will work. The remote will not turn the player on or off. A good purchase at a good price.

I might add that ALL of my .jpg photos look great, if not stunning, on my 24" HDTV using this media player and they display in full screen, but only with the PNY 4GB flash drive, not with the PBY 8GB flash drive, which doesn't handle photos the same way, only the videos. Go figure. Another problem I have is with the huge data box that displays on the lower left every time you view another photo and which takes way too long to disappear. I also can't figure out how to watch a slideshow. The manual could be better. Lastly, after you watch a video, the next one on the list starts playing automatically, whether you want to watch that video or not. You have to press the "Delete" button on the remote, which doesn't delete the video but stops it and then then goes back to the video list. But the next time you play THAT video, it will ask you if you want to RESUME or START OVER. Not good but, for this price, I'm still not complaining, just informing. It's sure beats trying to burn DVD-R discs that your PC says aren't there. So it is.