- Hardcover: 208 pages
- Publisher: Wiley; 1 edition (May 20, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9781118509234
- ISBN-13: 978-1118509234
- ASIN: 1118509234
- Product Dimensions: 5.6 x 0.7 x 8.6 inches
- Shipping Weight: 12 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 369 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #5,258 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
The 12 Week Year: Get More Done in 12 Weeks than Others Do in 12 Months Hardcover – May 20, 2013
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Inside Flap
A guide to creating results through focus, commitment, andaccountability
The 12 Week Year is a process forged in the field ofsports, used by world-class athletes and transformed for businessand everyday life by Brian P. Moran and Michael Lennington.
This is not a book of theory. The 12 Week Year has beenvetted by thousands of clients and hundreds of companies, and isbacked by years of real life experience. In this groundbreakingbook, the authors unlock the simple secret to help you accomplishmore.
What differentiates truly great performers and organizationsfrom mediocre ones is an ability to effectively execute on whatthey know. There is a gap for most of us between what we know weshould do, and what we are actually willing to do. Thisknowing-doing gap is what keeps most people and most companies fromaccomplishing what they are capable of.
The 12 Week Year incorporates the proven disciplines andprinciples of effective execution into the context of 12-weekexecution cycles. In the book, you'll discover how to developclarity and focus on what matters most and a healthy sense ofurgency to get it done. You'll learn how to:
- Take back control of your day
- Increase your income
- Balance the priorities in your life
- Lower your stress
- Accomplish your goals in record time
The 12 Week Year is a how-to book for both individualsand organizations that would like to accomplish more in the next 12weeks than others will in the next 12 months. Join the thousandswho are already experiencing the benefits of the 12 Week Year. Getthis book and turn the idea of a year on its head, and speed yourjourney to success. Leverage the power of The 12 Week Yearto drive improved results in any area of your life.
From the Back Cover
Praise for The 12 Week Year
"This book takes all the core business principles I believe areso valuablediscipline, consistency, focus, intensity,ownership, accountability, and planningand puts them togetherin a straightforward system that actually works. What more can youask for?"
MATTHEW E. WINTER, President, Allstate Auto, Home andAgencies
"The 12 Week Year is a book you can open to any chapterand find valuable insights and practical actions you can put intopractice today. Read it; study it; apply it!"
TOM IZZO, Head Coach, Michigan State University men'sbasketball team
"Brian Moran and Michael Lennington have persuaded me thatfocusing on shorter time periodsfour 'year ends' instead ofonebrings clarity and urgency to individuals and teams. I'vealready drawn up my own 12-week plan. Exciting!"
SUSAN SCOTT, author of Fierce Conversations andFierce Leadership
"If you are an executive or entrepreneur and you are seriousabout creating a high-performance culture that executes well, thenread this book and have your team read it too."
JOHN VACCARO, Senior Vice President, MassMutualFinancial Group
"The 12 Week Year is a powerful system for achievingextraordinary results both professionally and personally. It's asimple yet proven approach to creating breakthrough results. Ifyou're committed to making lasting changes, this is amust-read!"
TOM BURNS, Chief Distribution Officer, Allianz
Try the Kindle edition and experience these great reading features:
Showing 1-8 of 369 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The main themes of the book were as follows:
1) Shorten your feedback loop on goals that you set. Hence the 12 Week language.
2) Prioritize your time by blocking it off through a weekly plan.
3) Measure your execution regularly, and work to improve it.
4) Focus your goals and join a community for accountability.
The language, the examples, and the constant promotion of their “workshop” was not value adding to the book. Even the examples—which were mostly if not all sales examples—did not have details.
The worksheets examples were dated and lacking detail. Also, the authors repetition of the same concepts watered down the books good nuggets of wisdom.
The negative reviews that say there is nothing new in this book are right, but they are missing the point. The author himself says there really isn't anything new to be brought to the table as far as concepts go. The incredibly VALUE of this book lies in the ideas behind it, the mindset you need to execute it, and the actual process of taking action step by step as outlined.
I accomplished more with this program than I ever would have without it. I am applying this not only to my business, but our homeschool year and my homemaking/home improvement efforts.
- The book gives a lot of good ideas and references for setting up a productive time system.
- Based on what they found working in their company The Execution Company
- Great Price for what is offered in similar courses that cost X20 more.
- Shortens the Cycle to 12 Weeks
- Proposes a system for feedback to see if your on track.
- Mentions Time Blocking
- Has you self grade yourself in 7 areas, on a scale of 1-10.
- Focuses you on a few key tasks.
- Good call outs to more resources.
- Good explanation of Commitments
- Good explanation of common pitfalls
- Link to a free 12 week autoresponder weekly series that sends a pdf with needed forms.
- Good to call out the need for a partner, for the accountability issue.
- Discusses need to focus.
What I am Not Seeing:
- Mention of Scrum. A lot of what they are proposing is basically a scrum or agility based time management system, for the individual.
- No link to free forms for the system. I guess you get that from the free autoresponder system, or pay X Dollars for the workbook. It would be nice if this was explained more at the back of the book
- Matchbook Pricing. I love it when authors when you buy the physical book, offer a Matchbook for the Kindle Edition.
- No monitoring of your energy level. Another system you can buy includes this.
- Continual process improvement - another part of Scrum.
I am guessing if you use the software, small fee needed, it makes setting up the system a lot easier.
Three authors clearly establish WHY the 12-week will help you and more importantly, HOW to implement a 12-week year.
Case studies across verticals show how the concepts can be applied both individually and corporately.
Today is the last day of my first 12-week year. I can say that I have both accomplished more (completed more projects) and earned more in the past 12 weeks than in the 12 that preceded.
My only criticism is that I felt there should have been more for those of us who completed the first 12. The system is the same regardless of your first or twentieth 12. But I felt that there should have been a detailed debrief at the end which would have us examine key successes, difficulties, and adjustments for the next 12. Some of that is discussed throughout, but I would encourage others to perform a similar debrief at the end of the first cycle in order to make the next cycle even more productive than the first.