Samsung S8 Launch whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess GNO Libros en Español
Customer Discussions > Sony Playstation 3 160GB System forum

160GB VS 320 GB - Is the bigger hard drive really necessary?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2010, 3:42:01 PM PST
C&C's Mommy says:
Hey all you PS3'ers out there..I"m looking at getting a new PS3 system but not sure if I really need the larger 320GB system. Need some good advice from experienced die hard PS3 fans. Let me know folks!

Thanks!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2010, 9:09:25 PM PST
Kami says:
I used to have the original PS3 60GB and it was filled fast with game demos, movies, videos, pictures, game saves, songs, etc. Now I have the 320GB PS3 and I'm very happy. I guees it depends of how you're gonna use it. Just for playing games and no downloadable content 120GB may be enough.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010, 3:03:42 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 9, 2011, 1:30:35 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 6, 2010, 8:28:35 PM PST
Austin says:
It all just depends on you. If you are a die hard gamer who plans on getting 100 games, a bunch of DC (down loadable content), and store music and stuff than you should consider paying $30-$60 more for the 250 ($325) or 320 GB ($350). But if you're a casual gamer who just wants to play around 10 games (or more, just an example) and leave the movies for DVD or Blu-ray than 160 GB is more than enough. Most games have less than 1 GB of space required. So probably 160 GB is even enough for 50 average games. Hope this helps.

Posted on Dec 14, 2010, 7:33:35 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011, 8:13:31 PM PST
why not add a bigger HD?

Posted on Nov 27, 2011, 11:44:15 PM PST
It all depend on your need if you plan on buying movies and games on PSN either get the 320 model or buy the 160 and invest 100$ on a serious Hard Drive upgrade immediately. Seagate Momentus 7200 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 16 MB Cache 2.5 Inch Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive ST9750420AS

If you don't plan on buying HD movies off psn you could setup a media server just to stream all your video and music files to your ps3 from your home network.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011, 2:08:27 PM PST
Captain Kidd says:
I have an original launch 60GB. I use mine for gaming and watching BluRay only. I don't store any video, music or pictures. I have minimal DLC. I still ran out of room. If you keep up with all the current firmware updates they take tons of memory. I upgraded to a 320GB HDD this summer. After formatting, I only had 30GB available on the original HDD, which means the firmware updates alone took about 30GB.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012, 10:29:18 AM PST
Vylsith says:
If you're going to get the 320 GB system, get it for Uncharted 3, not the larger hard drive. For an extra $50 you can upgrade to a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive that actually will slightly increase performance as opposed to the 320 GB 5400 RPM drive that will not. If you need a bigger hard drive you're better off buying one seperately and installing it (it's as easy as unscrewing 5 screws and bending back a couple tabs, well you also have to install the PS3 OS on a flash drive, but it's very painless and there's a ton of instructional videos). The real deal with the 320 GB is Uncharted 3 which goes for $60 currently thrown in for an extra $50. The upgraded hard drive size is just a bonus.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012, 10:36:00 AM PST
Vylsith says:
The OS does not take up 30 GBs. It's only a 200 MB download from the PS3 site. The system automatically allocates part of your HD for use by programs. It works similarly to virtual memory in Windows. It allows for development practices such as hard drive streaming which significantly reduces the lag with read times of the lower speed bluray drive. So yes, the 30 GB is being reserved by the system, but the OS itself is actually fairly small. The firmware updates are just that, updates. They build onto the existing code by overwriting it. They are not cumulative. Same idea as game patches. They don't add to the total size of the game (well not significantly anyway).

Posted on Jan 22, 2012, 8:34:03 AM PST
ericksol96 says:
YOu can buy a 160 gb slim, and buy a 1 tb Samsung Spinpoint hdd, I have one in my PS3 (Phat) and it makes even less noise than stock drive, which means that it produces less heat.
40 gb = 10 mins and fan at high speed
1 tb = fans havn't even turned on ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012, 3:34:03 AM PST
Vylsith says:
The hard drive should have no influence over the fan whatsoever. The fans exist to cool down the CPU and GPU. Hard drives are magnetic and enclosed. They release almost no heat. I do agree that buying a 160 GB and upgrading is the way to go though.

Posted on Feb 1, 2012, 12:24:00 PM PST
Dwayne Hicks says:
Upgrading the first time took me like a half hour cause I was very gentle and slow making sure I didnt miss anything 2nd time I did it was breeze took me like 15 mins tops.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012, 7:08:19 PM PST
ErgoProxy says:
old post but its SSD times!! games just load thattt much faster.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Dec 5, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about