- File Size: 20075 KB
- Print Length: 385 pages
- Publisher: Michael O'Mara (March 9, 2015)
- Publication Date: March 9, 2015
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00U7DD4F8
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #533,580 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
17 Carnations: The Windsors, The Nazis and The Cover-Up Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
It was fascinating to learn more about prewar Germany and Europe, and surprising to learn that most European royal families were related to the Windsors or Prince Philip. I learned a little more about the American and British Prime Ministers of the time, as they were also involved after the abdication.
I expected to have a clearer picture of the Duke and Duchess after reading "17 Carnations". Perhaps when the reign of Queen Elizabeth II ends more will be revealed. The 17 carnations were never explained. Surely, after all these years, someone has cast some light on their constant arrival.
But Morton, in his slightly tabloidy style, brings some new aspects to how Edward and his divorcee wife were wooed by Hitler in the decade leading to World War II and during its first few years.
Yet, nothing is made certain. There is still room for the palace spin doctors to try to discredit the idea that someone from the British royal family could be so disloyal.
It's a fascinating read for those interested in the complexities of European politics of the 1930s, well-referenced, racy in style.
It is made all the more intriguing by recent publication of photographs purportedly showing the future Queen Elizabeth trying a Nazi salute when she was a child.
There may be more yet to reveal from what amounts to a very long-term and successful campaign to bury embarrassing history.
Most recent customer reviews
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical > Europe > Great Britain
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Royalty
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain
- Books > History > World
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Royalty
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Europe > England
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Europe > Western
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > World