Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $49.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

• 19
  • Customer Reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 15, 2011
Note: I also wrote this on iTunes so don't think I stole it or anything, LOL!

Adeles don't come around every day you know. She is a force to be reckoned with right now in the music industry being a great singer, a very solid songwriter and having knowledge on playing a few instruments herself. Right now in late 2011 everyone is rightfully raving about her new album that has brilliantly sold 10 million copies worldwide IN LESS THAN ONE YEAR!!! Flat out astounding if I do say so myself. Back in 2005, most people considered Mariah's "The Emancipation Of Mimi" her comeback album (it is great, BTW) but it took YEARS to get those same sales. Must I say again that Adele did it in less than a YEAR??! 2005 was even a much better time for music than it is now in our stagnant times for quality music and poor sales for even seasoned verterans.

But now let's talk about the album itself. All in all, to shortly describe the record would be to say it's minimally produced with bits of tinkering going on to make it just fancy enough. But the package is made complete with solid songwriting and the gorgeous, R&B-tinged vocals Adele hosts. Some songs are acoustically done, some are R&B-flavored and soulful and others are just offbeat.

"Right As Rain" which pulls all the right stops is by far my favorite (let the song build and then listen to the end vocal work) but other excellent tracks are "Melt My Heart To Stone", "Daydreamer" and "Best For Last". All the tracks are in some way good but "My Same" being the odd man out is slightly average because of the vocal arrangement although I get the sentiment of the lyrics.

4.5 stars.

DOWNLOAD:
"Right As Rain"
"Best For Last"
"Hometown Glory"
"Daydreamer" &
"Tired"
If you have several personalities, everyone will probably like at least one, or some of them, right? This must be the theory applied by Adele and her collaborators when choosing the material and production for these 12 tracks. Avoiding the stylistic consistency of Duffy's "Rockferry" and Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" (Adele's 2 UK soul sisters), they opted for an eclectic variety which left me feeling, after hearing it for the first time, that it was the oddest album I had ever heard. I want to say right off that Adele's talent is not in question here. She has a strong, smoky, supple voice, and she wrote or co-wrote most of the songs on the album, so she's got the goods. It was the lack of consistency that threw me at first, until I stopped expecting it and just listened to what was there.

I don't care for the first track, "Daydreamer". Not at all. I find it too soft and mellow, devoid of any spark. Thankfully, it only gets better from there. The next one, "Best For Last", sounds a little like what a lounge singer might sing. I like that. Then, with "Chasing Pavements", we get something in the realm of normal pop music. It resembles the retro style Duffy has cultivated. "Cold Shoulder", grounded by a basic hip-hop beat and decorated with very inventive vocals and production, is one of the best tracks. "Melt My Heart to Stone" has the general feel and spirit of Macy Gray's "I Try". In "First Love", Adele's vocal blends sweetly with the accompaniment of what can only be (in my head, anyway) a humongous music-box. "Right As Rain" and "My Same" abound in energy and would probably delight a Vegas audience. Adele sings Bob Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love" better than anyone I have heard; her sincerity of feeling for the song is very evident. I think "Tired" could probably be a hit for the current Duchess of Pop, Fergie. And finally, I like "Hometown Glory" for its solid, thick piano sound and the cultural/political implications in its lyrics.

I hope I have given you some idea of this CD's variety. Adele shows a lot of promise. She has proven that she can sing just about anything and do it justice. But I feel that for long-term success, she needs to narrow her focus a little and "define" herself a little, as they say on American Idol. Otherwise, all of those different voices might just blur in people's minds and make her too vague to remember.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 6, 2015
I got this one after having 25 and 21. Pleasant music to listen to anytime. She can kick Miley, Nicky and Taylor's b**t by just doing music without the monkey behavior or the drama that those individuals are famous for. Adele does not even have to give explanations as to why she does not follow the now common music subscriptions or she can't even care less about her physical appearance. Yet, the sales of her music say it all.
on November 29, 2017
Love the music and CD but this one also came broken. The case has several deep scracthes and nicks in it. Thank God the CD came in good condition but it hard to store in the case.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on October 30, 2016
I truly enjoy all three Adele CDs, this was the first of the three I bought, this one's got a few songs that are kinda jazzy and to me it's like a little extra bonus and makes me appreciate her musical talents even more! I love anything Adele. 19, 21, & 25 I purchased a couple months ago...I know I'm late but my money was funny so couldn't get them as I planned last year, but I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.
on December 30, 2013
I will never give a 5 rating as there's no such thing as a "perfect" album. At the end of the day, this is "Blue Eyed Soul" at its best. Her vocal skill set trumps Joss Stone and her approach to the genre is to add, not take away. Compliment, not insult. her style is not for everyone, but if you want to expand you music palette, then this is what you want. I'm a collector, so if I buy an album and like it, I'm going to buy the complete catalog. I personally was not disappointed with this purchase.
on October 9, 2017
I love anything Adele does and have since the first time I heard her sing. I already had the 21 and the 25 so I wanted to complete my collection with 19. She would sound good singing the dictionary, so I'm very happy with my purchase!
on November 17, 2015
I got hooked on Adele via the 21 album and decided I needed more so went for 19, recorded two years earlier when Adele was 19 years old. She came a long way in that two years. Since ripping the CD, I've deleted several tracks that just don't compare. If you are a die hard fan, there are some tracks you will like. If not you might want to pass on this earlier ablum.
on May 10, 2013
Many reviewers have called ADELE 19 "a freshman musical effort" and that her follow-up "ADELE 21" was superior. Personally, I'd call them both a draw. While there are a few more recognizable songs in the 2nd CD, there's a softer musical quality in this musical set.

One afternoon I had a chance to compare both 19 & 21...and found myself wanting to listen to '19' a 2nd time. The selections on ADELE 19 seemed to be easier to digest.

Now that this fantastic artist has gotten an academy award for best song and has become a 'first-time Mom'...it'll be interesting to hear her 3rd studio album once it's released.
on February 11, 2017
A gift for someone that I love who loves the music of Adele.

The songs will always be special to me since I heard them lying next to someone I loved once and still love.