Industrial Deals HPC Trade in your textbooks Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

• 19
  • Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 29, 2017
Love the music and CD but this one also came broken. The case has several deep scracthes and nicks in it. Thank God the CD came in good condition but it hard to store in the case.
review image review image review image review image
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
If you have several personalities, everyone will probably like at least one, or some of them, right? This must be the theory applied by Adele and her collaborators when choosing the material and production for these 12 tracks. Avoiding the stylistic consistency of Duffy's "Rockferry" and Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" (Adele's 2 UK soul sisters), they opted for an eclectic variety which left me feeling, after hearing it for the first time, that it was the oddest album I had ever heard. I want to say right off that Adele's talent is not in question here. She has a strong, smoky, supple voice, and she wrote or co-wrote most of the songs on the album, so she's got the goods. It was the lack of consistency that threw me at first, until I stopped expecting it and just listened to what was there.

I don't care for the first track, "Daydreamer". Not at all. I find it too soft and mellow, devoid of any spark. Thankfully, it only gets better from there. The next one, "Best For Last", sounds a little like what a lounge singer might sing. I like that. Then, with "Chasing Pavements", we get something in the realm of normal pop music. It resembles the retro style Duffy has cultivated. "Cold Shoulder", grounded by a basic hip-hop beat and decorated with very inventive vocals and production, is one of the best tracks. "Melt My Heart to Stone" has the general feel and spirit of Macy Gray's "I Try". In "First Love", Adele's vocal blends sweetly with the accompaniment of what can only be (in my head, anyway) a humongous music-box. "Right As Rain" and "My Same" abound in energy and would probably delight a Vegas audience. Adele sings Bob Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love" better than anyone I have heard; her sincerity of feeling for the song is very evident. I think "Tired" could probably be a hit for the current Duchess of Pop, Fergie. And finally, I like "Hometown Glory" for its solid, thick piano sound and the cultural/political implications in its lyrics.

I hope I have given you some idea of this CD's variety. Adele shows a lot of promise. She has proven that she can sing just about anything and do it justice. But I feel that for long-term success, she needs to narrow her focus a little and "define" herself a little, as they say on American Idol. Otherwise, all of those different voices might just blur in people's minds and make her too vague to remember.
44 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 10, 2017
I'm not a fan of this CD, but it's okay! I should have listene to some of the songs before buying it! I love her other CD's though!
on December 8, 2017
Adele has one of the great voices of all time and knows how to "sell" the song!
on May 15, 2017
This CD was a disk for my boyfriend. It came on tie and was reasonably priced, I cannot complain.
on August 1, 2017
The album is flawless, but my CD case was broken, but the Amazon team was really quick on replacing it, and the shipping was really quick too! So it's alright. Also, you get the entire album free on MP3 so you can have it on your phone as well! That was really amazing. 5/5 recommend it.
review image
on January 13, 2017
Love, love, love! To have the Adele vinyl albums mean so much to me because they have their very own unique sound when playing.
on October 30, 2016
I truly enjoy all three Adele CDs, this was the first of the three I bought, this one's got a few songs that are kinda jazzy and to me it's like a little extra bonus and makes me appreciate her musical talents even more! I love anything Adele. 19, 21, & 25 I purchased a couple months ago...I know I'm late but my money was funny so couldn't get them as I planned last year, but I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.
on April 26, 2017
Great addition to my collection! I'm struggling though! To open or not to open??
on July 5, 2010
Hi,
I discovered Adele by listening to my local public radio online, KCRW, which streams Eclectic 24, a remarkable radio station giving the public a rare opportunity to hear artists & music we may never be exposed to.

I am blown away with Adele, her emotion, vocal control, flawless enunciation, and raw feelings which come across strongly on most of this CD.

I haven't researched her much yet, but have to believe she does at least some of her own writing & composing.
Several songs have only one or two instruments, but is works so well, her voice is so powerful, but almost delicate at the same time.

She carries the melody effortlessly, with sensitivity & character, I feel she's lived what she sings about.

The words strike that rare balance between a powerful, expressive message, with a straight forward delivery, true poetry.

From the soft & tender Melt My Heart to Stone, to the kickass beat of Right as Rain, (I can't sit still during this tune), to the amazing Daydreamer, which pulls hard at my heart.

Adele has definitely become one of my all time favorite artists.

ss