Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Get $5 off book purchases over $20* Use promo code GIFTBOOK17 Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

• 19
  • Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 10, 2017
An excellent entry if your just discovering Adele for the first time, a true example of what a soulful and powerful singer this woman is a absolute must have for any music lovers collection.
If you have several personalities, everyone will probably like at least one, or some of them, right? This must be the theory applied by Adele and her collaborators when choosing the material and production for these 12 tracks. Avoiding the stylistic consistency of Duffy's "Rockferry" and Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black" (Adele's 2 UK soul sisters), they opted for an eclectic variety which left me feeling, after hearing it for the first time, that it was the oddest album I had ever heard. I want to say right off that Adele's talent is not in question here. She has a strong, smoky, supple voice, and she wrote or co-wrote most of the songs on the album, so she's got the goods. It was the lack of consistency that threw me at first, until I stopped expecting it and just listened to what was there.

I don't care for the first track, "Daydreamer". Not at all. I find it too soft and mellow, devoid of any spark. Thankfully, it only gets better from there. The next one, "Best For Last", sounds a little like what a lounge singer might sing. I like that. Then, with "Chasing Pavements", we get something in the realm of normal pop music. It resembles the retro style Duffy has cultivated. "Cold Shoulder", grounded by a basic hip-hop beat and decorated with very inventive vocals and production, is one of the best tracks. "Melt My Heart to Stone" has the general feel and spirit of Macy Gray's "I Try". In "First Love", Adele's vocal blends sweetly with the accompaniment of what can only be (in my head, anyway) a humongous music-box. "Right As Rain" and "My Same" abound in energy and would probably delight a Vegas audience. Adele sings Bob Dylan's "Make You Feel My Love" better than anyone I have heard; her sincerity of feeling for the song is very evident. I think "Tired" could probably be a hit for the current Duchess of Pop, Fergie. And finally, I like "Hometown Glory" for its solid, thick piano sound and the cultural/political implications in its lyrics.

I hope I have given you some idea of this CD's variety. Adele shows a lot of promise. She has proven that she can sing just about anything and do it justice. But I feel that for long-term success, she needs to narrow her focus a little and "define" herself a little, as they say on American Idol. Otherwise, all of those different voices might just blur in people's minds and make her too vague to remember.
on March 10, 2017
I'm not a fan of this CD, but it's okay! I should have listene to some of the songs before buying it! I love her other CD's though!
on May 15, 2017
This CD was a disk for my boyfriend. It came on tie and was reasonably priced, I cannot complain.
on August 1, 2017
The album is flawless, but my CD case was broken, but the Amazon team was really quick on replacing it, and the shipping was really quick too! So it's alright. Also, you get the entire album free on MP3 so you can have it on your phone as well! That was really amazing. 5/5 recommend it.
review image
on January 13, 2017
Love, love, love! To have the Adele vinyl albums mean so much to me because they have their very own unique sound when playing.
on October 30, 2016
I truly enjoy all three Adele CDs, this was the first of the three I bought, this one's got a few songs that are kinda jazzy and to me it's like a little extra bonus and makes me appreciate her musical talents even more! I love anything Adele. 19, 21, & 25 I purchased a couple months ago...I know I'm late but my money was funny so couldn't get them as I planned last year, but I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.
on April 26, 2017
Great addition to my collection! I'm struggling though! To open or not to open??
on August 22, 2017
Gift. No comment other than recipient liked it.
on May 11, 2017
Bought this for my sister-in-law - she loves it!