Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 3,181 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,866 reviews
on January 15, 2017
In the 1960's I first read this book. It has been a guiding reminder through these years of how fragile freedom and democracy can be and of how important it is to be vigilant and aware of trends that may destroy them! (2017)
44 comments| 647 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2017
This book is stunning, really makes you think how degraded our government has become.
11 comment| 395 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2017
I read this in high school (I'm 72 now) and at that time it was a prediction of things to come. In some ways it's pretty close. It is interesting that people are reading it more now because of the current situation. I think that if they are alarmed by this book they should try "It Can't Happen Here."

Another worthwhile book is "A Nation of Sheep" by William J. Lederer
0Comment| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2017
I find this work still is applicable if not even more so now than when it was written.
11 comment| 221 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2017
I'd read this year's ago but I thought was a good idea to read it again and brush up on things

Today Kellyanne Conway announced that we were given alternate facts. Shades of changing the past and controlling the present

Get ready to party like it's 1984
5150+ comments| 1,773 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 24, 2017
1984 was a year of some fears. There was the Cold War fear, the fears about the film 'The Day After' that reflected the nuclear fears. But, the 1984 that George Orwell, had predicted, Was not, yet, here.. We went along in the 1980's with those and other fears, but we were mostly happy. I first read this book as a teenager, and there was a great deal of discussion about the book. Did we really think that life would be as totalitarian and regimented in 1984 as the book predicted? For most of us, no. We realized most would be alive in that year, and we had no fear.

Now, in 2017, the fear is here. 1984, the book is in the top ten book sellers this week. Why? Fasicism is upon us. Our rights are being depleted everyday. George Orwell told us, but it took 33 years after 1984 for his predictions to come true. Read on, ye seekers of truth, we need to unite.

Recommended. prisrob 01-25-17
3333 comments| 538 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2017
What can I say here? it's a classic! Many, many others have offered far more intelligent reviews than I am capable of now offering. The circumstance in which we now find ourselves, clearly demonstrates the genius in Orwells vision of the future. The only insight I can offer is that it took a long, very long, time to arrive!
on January 25, 2017
A classic with echoes rippling through time
on January 1, 2016
What can be said about this book that has not already been said? Orwell’s despondent view of an evil utopia hits all the right notes. His vision into a near-possible future is stunning, depressing and all too understandable. A warning, a final prophesy written by a spirited visionary in the final stage of his life.

Many have read this book early in their youth, most likely as part of their educational upbringing. 1984 and Animal Farm are standard, pedantic texts battle ready for disaffected youth to sink their teeth into. This book, among the greats, seems boundless in the echoes and touchstones resounding within its tome. In revisiting the text many years later, one will find that Orwell’s words seem strangely even more relevant than they were at first blanch. Perhaps even more so than they were when original meted out and scratched into paper during the author’s self-imposed exile in the Scottish isle that was his final home so many years ago.

There are so many elements here that have such deep and broad depth that will keep this work of literature relevant for many more years. Orwell invented the terms “Big Brother” and “Thought Crime” and dove unrepentantly into issues of privacy, personal freedom and individualism. All this before the revolution of the internet! He also fretted over the degradation of language (OMG!) and the breakdown and bastardization of society’s communal bonds, family bonds, bonds of friendship and the abolishment of simple love. His vision of a mechanized society (one that even turns books out by machines), is more than a decry by a luddite so much as it concerns the debasement or obliteration of the individual and sense of self.

Orwell’s main thrust seems to be right at the heart of man and the core inner lust for domination and power, simply for its own sake. That ever-present evolutionary tendency to thrive at all costs without purpose or direction, and the ability of that singular impetus to take over and distort all else toward its own end. He digs that up out of the blackest parts of the human heart and disgorges it upon the shoreline of society receding tide as if to say, “This too is what you are. Do not kid yourself.”

For me, this book was rough. The tone was bleak. Throughout. Unflinchingly somber and hopeless. Yet, the story of the protagonist and his struggle amid this world turned upside down, is relatable and believable. Despite the obvious despair and immeasurable odds, we do feel for Winston Smith (the protagonist) and we do root for him. We follow him in his desperation to find something, some way to express himself and make a dent in the impenetrable wall that has become the totalitarian society which he is a part. We feel his constant fear and ever present distrust of everything—almost. The little glimmers of possibilities, even when they are squashed, keep your interest and balance the grim-gray that pervades everything.

One thing that struck me was that the female character Julia, is an interesting addition. She has a good amount of gumption and serves more than just a goal or love interest. She is fleshed out pretty well and adds a lot of dimension to the story by sharing the protagonist’s goals, but also coming from a slightly different more realistic viewpoint.

Another thing I found interesting in reading this book in present time was how insular the story is. We are just as stuck as the protagonist. All news of the outside world and the society is filtered to the reader through the regime in power. We never really know who to trust or when something might be real or made up or mere speculation. Nothing ever really seems certain. The story never ever escapes this – there is never an Oz-like “Man behind the Curtain” moment. Not really. We are told how some things work, and sometimes by sources that are deemed more reliable than others, but we don’t truly find out.

This tight view point, keeps up a claustrophobic feeling that forces the storyline to remain connected to the protagonist’s individual struggle. Even though Winston Smith is concerned with larger concepts and a revolutionary struggle on a society level–the story remains individualistic. However, the tale is not a man’s struggle with himself, it is a man’s struggle to find himself among others; the interrelatedness of things and how important that is. The totalitarian regime in power has distorted this effect and is manifesting control by continually putting up road blocks and pseudo-constructed, societal norms to hamper true progress and growth.

Even still, the individual struggles to find their place in society. As the story goes on, I think it is clear that most of this doomed society continues to struggle with this. And the powers that be, must expend an immense amount of effort and expense to constantly suppress this. In the end, can that really work? Have a care. Big Brother is watching.

Podcast: If you enjoy my review (or this topic) this book and the movie based on it were further discussed/debated in a lively discussion on my podcast: "No Deodorant In Outer Space". The podcast is available on iTunes, YouTube or our website.
on July 4, 2016
I have been using your Old Labs pre-workout, Vintage Build and Vintage Bliss and am very satisfied with all three. Better than all other products I have used before.
review image
33 comments| 607 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse