Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 3,382 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6,441 reviews
on January 15, 2017
In the 1960's I first read this book. It has been a guiding reminder through these years of how fragile freedom and democracy can be and of how important it is to be vigilant and aware of trends that may destroy them! (2017)
33 comments| 635 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2017
This book is stunning, really makes you think how degraded our government has become.
11 comment| 389 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2017
I'd read this year's ago but I thought was a good idea to read it again and brush up on things

Today Kellyanne Conway announced that we were given alternate facts. Shades of changing the past and controlling the present

Get ready to party like it's 1984
5150+ comments| 1,759 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2017
I find this work still is applicable if not even more so now than when it was written.
11 comment| 217 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2017
I read this in high school (I'm 72 now) and at that time it was a prediction of things to come. In some ways it's pretty close. It is interesting that people are reading it more now because of the current situation. I think that if they are alarmed by this book they should try "It Can't Happen Here."

Another worthwhile book is "A Nation of Sheep" by William J. Lederer
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 24, 2017
1984 was a year of some fears. There was the Cold War fear, the fears about the film 'The Day After' that reflected the nuclear fears. But, the 1984 that George Orwell, had predicted, Was not, yet, here.. We went along in the 1980's with those and other fears, but we were mostly happy. I first read this book as a teenager, and there was a great deal of discussion about the book. Did we really think that life would be as totalitarian and regimented in 1984 as the book predicted? For most of us, no. We realized most would be alive in that year, and we had no fear.

Now, in 2017, the fear is here. 1984, the book is in the top ten book sellers this week. Why? Fasicism is upon us. Our rights are being depleted everyday. George Orwell told us, but it took 33 years after 1984 for his predictions to come true. Read on, ye seekers of truth, we need to unite.

Recommended. prisrob 01-25-17
2828 comments| 528 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2017
A very good read; I had to get it for a college class. The book is a very quick read, only like 300 pages.
It was very physiological, without having to resort to using big words. (I had to read some of Faucaut, and I can say, thats a HARD read)

This is a book I could have read without the incepted for the class...
I actually liked the ending, but some wouldn't.
The plot isn't very perdictable, becuase i actually guessed wrong about certain things multiple times. The book also isn't supper unpredictable, becuase I did predict some things (the semi-ending, for example)
on February 9, 2017
Anyone who reads this and is interested in modern political movements is likely to find many things in this text to fear, especially in today's divided political landscape. In times of greatest struggle, when reality itself is beginning to be strategically challenged for a select group's benefit, Orwell's story of a nearly perfect rendering of a fascist state should be a wake up call. Before every facet of beauty and joy is bolted down or burned away, make the world a more loving and lovely place for every human being. There is no rabid army "over there" or careless stream of rocket fire that can completely destroy the human heart. But you have to earn civilization. It will not come to you.
on June 6, 2016
This is one of the best books I have ever read. After reading it is still hard to believe it was published in 1949. It does not feel like an old book. Orwell didn't go into excessive detail about technological advances in 1984 which is great, because the predictions made in his time were so far off (as we all have come to see), that the are comical. Something like that would have ruined this book for me. That would have made it too hard to relate to. All of the things Orwell focused on in the plot of this book are things that could very well still happen in the near future, and it makes one wonder just how much of it is actually happening right now. I finished the book last week, and I still get chills when I think about it. It was that good. This truly is a timless classic. I highly recommend it.
on March 6, 2017
Two things: the book is very dark and I found myself feeling depressed after reading for a few hours at a time. Thought provoking but very depressing. Second, the print is very small. I had the book close to my face and needed good light in order to read without squinting.