Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Carrie Underwood All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Echo Dot Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

1984 (Signet Classics)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on January 15, 2017
In the 1960's I first read this book. It has been a guiding reminder through these years of how fragile freedom and democracy can be and of how important it is to be vigilant and aware of trends that may destroy them! (2017)
55 comments| 689 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 30, 2017
I read this in high school (I'm 72 now) and at that time it was a prediction of things to come. In some ways it's pretty close. It is interesting that people are reading it more now because of the current situation. I think that if they are alarmed by this book they should try "It Can't Happen Here."

Another worthwhile book is "A Nation of Sheep" by William J. Lederer
0Comment| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 24, 2017
This book is stunning, really makes you think how degraded our government has become.
22 comments| 411 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 19, 2017
I find this work still is applicable if not even more so now than when it was written.
11 comment| 234 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 23, 2017
I'd read this year's ago but I thought was a good idea to read it again and brush up on things

Today Kellyanne Conway announced that we were given alternate facts. Shades of changing the past and controlling the present

Get ready to party like it's 1984
5150+ comments| 1,801 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 3, 2015
I originally read this book back in high school and actually finished it within a day. The story keeps you engaged as well as having a good plot. George Orwell describes the characters very well as well as details of other things within the story such as the structure of the totalitarian party as well as other characters. At points, I swear I could feel what the main character Winston was going through. Even though I will not spoil the story, I will tell you that this is not a "happy story" with a kind of "hero saves the day" ending. This book brings up what was believed to be a genuine concern from the past in a very descriptive, yet depressing way. I don't know how Orwell pulled this off, but this turned out to be a very good book that kept me engaged the entire time.

Also, if you do happen to run across the movie, I would definitely recommend watching it. The movie is becoming exceedingly rare, however shouldn't be too hard to track down. It is spot-on with the book and gives you more of a visualization of the story. I would recommend!
on March 11, 2014
This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I'm glad he did. It is a very dark story, but it definitely gives you some things to think about. The "Big Brother" concept is something that most people don't think can happen. Reading a book like this, even though it's fiction, gives rise to the idea that it actually could happen. Today, with the liberal thinking of some, we are all in danger of this futuristic idea that left unchecked could become a reality. Security systems that people are putting into their homes right now, are very much like the ones installed in the homes of the future in this book, where everything you do is watched by Big Brother. There is a lot of truth in fiction. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in futuristic stories about a government out of control.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 1, 2017
Great book to read anytime... gets you a bit paranoid but it's a good read for sure
on March 29, 2017
What can i say? This book is maybe something everybody should read or re-read along about now.
on January 28, 2017
Read it again....it's like a vote of no confidence using the Amazon sales meter.