BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 23, 2016
Professor McClurg reveals what it's like to attend and succeed law school before you get there. This book opens your eyes to the good and bad sides of law school. From how to handle the extraordinary amounts of stress, to how to mesh life as a 1L with your normal life--1L of a Ride gives you a great 'what to expect' guide for all of this and more. Backed by empirical evidence as well as student testimonials, you see the real, objective side of what it's like during the first year of law school. I myself am a soon-to-be 1L at the University of Memphis (where McClurg is a prof.) and I found it extremely beneficial to me that the book is backed up by testimonials from many UM students. After reading this book, I feel confident that I know what to expect and ultimately succeed in law school. I recommend this book for any student going to law school. You will see the good, bad & ugly of what to expect, but ultimately you will feel more prepared for the rigors that await you.
on September 10, 2017
Some of the stuff in this book is obvious. Go to class, pay attention, don't use Facebook in class. So skip around. At the same time it made me feel more confident going into my first semester. It gives a good description of briefing and outlining and what to expect. Also it's good at helping you manage expectations. So many people think they are going to get A's and the truth is only a couple people will get an A in your class. A B in law school is worth celebrating! The picture is a quote that I really liked from the book. A little inspiration never hurts.
review image
on May 23, 2017
I am not a lawyer; yet found it informative as to the mindset of the 1L. It has good info for even the high schooler looking for suggestions to do well in undergraduate study of any pursuit. Humor and honesty top notch. I always found the law students congenial and having a large capacity for humor and fun when I was in another professional program and studied in law library; like some of the stories here. I found the stories here are what my lawyer-friends (oxymoron) said when I asked them their law school stories after I read this book. Easily the best book I have come across in years for readings outside of my usual interests of lawn mower and roof repair, anesthesiology journals.
on April 21, 2014
Simply put, it’s the best “what to expect” book on the shelves.

One of the most important things mentioned was it is okay to be excited to go to law school. I often forget to allow myself to enjoy the experience and remember, I didn’t get here by mistake!

After recently completing a law school prep class and reading similar books, I can assure you that this particular book is filled with practical advice. Unlike others, it is layered your text with insight from the students, stories of practice, and overviews and examples, and I believe it makes a large difference. The overview of first year courses, and the emphasis put on the importance completing your own outlines and briefs I have feel has given me a leg up. Understanding what these are, and how to complete and utilize them, is priceless information. This book is definitely staying on my shelf as a reference tool for class and the experience itself. I will certainly recommend it to my colleagues as a source of finding out what other students thought during their first year, what to expect, and getting to know law school. In fact, I have already recommended it to the teacher of my prep course at Blackstone and she’ll be buying a copy to show future students.
on February 20, 2015
I picked this book up after having that: "Oh God, I just got into law school" moment. This book is an amazing read for that period between been admitted and actually starling law school. It addresses some of the most pressing questions and fears everyone has when preparing to start the law school journey. While there are many prep books out there, I myself have read a few, this one in my experience has been the best. It's a very good read and the author makes you feel like he actually cares about helping you get of to the right start in your career. Advice is backed up by examples and anecdotes that help bring them into perspective. It's not only written from the perspective of a seasoned law professor but it also includes many contributions by some of his current and former students. It will certainly be a companion for me throughout my 1L year. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who's about to start, or considering, law school. Amazing!
on November 20, 2015
I love Professor McClurg, and I am a current 1L taking his Torts class. 1L of a Ride is a comprehensive book that gives great insight on what to expect in your 1st year of law school, and also gives great insight on how to prepare before you start classes. I read the book probably three weeks into classes, and my only regret is that I didn't get it the summer before I started. I would have been much better prepared, and would have known some things upfront that it took me a little while to learn on my own. I wasted time getting adjusted and learning things about law school that were explained in this book. Professor McClurg is a thorough teacher, and it's more than obvious that he is committed to helping us continue to flourish and be successful in law school and beyond. I highly recommend getting the book the summer before, or a few weeks before classes starts. You will still need to refer back to the book throughout the semester, but it will definitely help make sure you start law school off right.
on July 18, 2017
A must read before starting law school. As I enter 3L year, I still find myself going back to this book for advice and guidance. Tab the book as you read and even type notes from it. I promise it will help you navigate your first year and even after that.
on June 21, 2014
I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I began law school. I was business major who decided late senior year to go to law school, with no real background or knowledge of anything relating to the legal profession. This book was the most helpful one I picked up the summer before arriving on campus. It addresses the fears, the pitfalls, and the practical knowledge every 1L would want to know.

Understand that each person's needs are different, so you really have to take responsibility for yourself, know how you learn, and devote yourself to getting work done. There is no other way around it. I found that having the mentality of "attacking the challenge" was more beneficial than reacting to situations that came. Good luck, future 1Ls!
on October 7, 2016
I recently purchased this book for someone just about to start law school. I remember my days in law school and remember what it was like not knowing really what to expect. I read this book and thought it was pretty much spot-on. Lots of good advice, especially the section explaining the benefits of the Socratic Method which has come under attack lately for fear of offending young snowflakes.

If you are going to law school or know someone who is, get them this book. If the student follows the author's advice, I betcha that student will succeed!
on December 26, 2015
I start law school in a few months so I can't remark on the accuracy of what he says, but as someone preparing for law school I found it useful. I feel much more prepared and much less nervous about starting, and I have a solid game plan for what to do (and what not to do). I feel very motivated now to start on the right foot by sitting in front, being prepared, volunteering in class, and keeping my notes and outlines updated from week one. I appreciated that he made some difficult concepts easy to grasp and injected a lot of humor and personal anecdotes, and I especially appreciated that he backed up many of his claims with research and statistics. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who is starting law school.