Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 71 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 78 reviews
on October 31, 2014
Not going to return the camera as it is ok for one of my wide angle spots.

If this was not labeled as "Top of the line" I would have given 4 stars for the price, If I could not get a same quality picture from a $59 camera for 1000TVL (Supposedly) 2.8 to 12mm zoom camera it may even be 5 stars for the price, but that considered left me with a 3 star review.

Housing is 5 stars, durable aluminum, very sturdy housing for the price.

Night view is surprisingly impressive

No directions for zoom and focus, had to figure out where the controls are. Directions that are included are useless unless you don't know a bigger round plug is BNC and smaller is power.

Controls look like a twist to zoom and focus, they are actually levers with a flat head screw at the end and knurled body looking like a screw in/out. Do not make this mistake as when I screwed it the lever fell out and it took me 10 minutes to find it in the leaves with a magnet. This would not be an issue if there were usage directions give, not the directions that say plug the BNC to the BNC and power to the power connector. (The front housing screws off revealing the controls)

Controls do note have fine sensitivity, it is hard to focus when zoomed and get a fine adjustment

Daytime colors look washed out, will post again with night pictures later.

Picture is grainy for a "top of the line" camera, again this review would be a lot better if that phrase was not in the title, it is not a top of the line camera discounted down from $800.

NOTE: there are mounting screws with the kit, but no power. This is expected by me and does not reflect negatively in the review but if you are a first timer and not running power you will need a 12v power brick to power the unit.

See pics for yourself.
review image review image review image review image review image
on May 27, 2014
The picture quality is excellent compared to other camera I purchased. The camera is well built, haven't tested the zoom, the night vision is very good. Was little skeptical when they said it was 1000TVL, but when compared to the 700TVL I have there is a huge difference. Going to get me a few more now I know that the picture quality is excellent, I am using them on a Defeway 16 Channel 960H recorder, will be replacing the Q-See (4) and the Lorex (2) camera I have already.

Just ordered another one 27-May-2014
on September 14, 2014
I have a slew of cameras I have bought through various venues on a sixteen camera system. I have bought several cameras that advertised "720 TV lines" and higher only to find they were 480 lines, at best. This camera, however, is everything it is advetised to be. It is of a heavy-duty construction and replaced a camera on the side of my warehouse that has difficult lighting issues (sunrise/sunset/commercial biz across street with trucks/high beams all night). Every camera I'd used previously had dead zones or soon lost their color accuracy (green turned into a weird pink on the Q-See model)but this camera is up to the task. I've had it in over two months now with no problems. It is easily visible on the monitor as the camera with way more clarity than any of my other cameras, but the bigger difference still is the resolution and range after dark. It is hands-down superior to any camera I have installed (I install them professionally) within the same price range.
on October 16, 2014
We have had some other security cameras for several years and had a few instances of things happening at night where when we reviewed the recording we could barely see what had happened. I finally decided that I was going to replace our existing cameras one by one but not until I could find one that really gave us a good night view. Well after reading the reviews on this camera I decided to take the plunge and order one to see if it would fill the need. I was skeptical but after receiving it and connecting it I was very pleasantly surprised. I was hoping to be able to see at night, across our parking lot to the far side of our yard which is about 120 feet away. I had been using an infrared illuminator with the old cameras and could only see about 40 feet with that setup. With this camera, I can see to the far side of our lot and across the street beyond that even without having the illuminator turned on. It almost looks like daylight out there. The other thing that I want to mention is the great color these have in the daytime. Our older cameras look like everything is blue and white during the day or night. This one is full color at day and black and white at night. I will be ordering more real soon!

Update 11/20/2014

I ordered a 2nd camera from the same link although this time fulfilled by Amazon (still sold by GW though). There are a few minor differences that I thought I should mention. The 1st camera that I got directly from GW DID come with a wall wart power supply (even though I don't think the ad says that it does). This 2nd one did not. The camera looks the same externally but the menu is a bit different when you press the button in the cord. I suspect that it may just be a different version of software. The last difference is probably the biggest. When I got the 1st one and looked at it at night, I could not see the infrared LEDs at all. I could see them on my old camera which was still mounted right by it. I concluded at that point that it must be using the 940nm LEDs which was a pleasant surprise. However, when I got my 2nd camera and got it into night mode, I could clearly see the ring of 42 LEDs (most likely 850 nano) glowing red. I suspect that one of these cameras is a bit older than the other and that GW has made some changes. I am not sure which is the newer one but when I ordered the 2nd one that was fulfilled by Amazon, there was only one available.

With the differences that I have noticed it hasn't changed the fact that these cameras still pick up a very good image and it amazes me how well they work in low light. In fact, the one I just installed looks out over our front yard and sidewalk and the light from the streetlamp above is enough that the camera doesn't even need to switch to night mode at night. I actually get a nice color image at night on this one with lots of detail. It did switch to night mode once or twice during a snowstorm so I know that mode is working fine but as soon as it stopped snowing it went right back to day mode (again, this is in the middle of the night).

All in all, still a great camera and again, I will be buying more to replace the last couple of old cameras that I still have up...
on November 4, 2014
I was expecting better quality. I bought this to test it against my other cameras and have noticed no difference. The other cameras are not HD, just regular old security cameras from a couple of years ago. Several things strike me on this camera:

(1) It doesn't have an overhanging "shield" above the lens. My existing camera does and it keeps regular rain (not blowing rain) from getting on the lens.
(2) The mounting shaft is a bit shorter which makes it harder extend down and under an edge for a clear field of view.
(3) The wire is shorter than the other camera, but I had some slack I could let out to make it fit. Note to self: Always tuck away a little extra at the mounting point for this very reason.
(4) The mounting plate is one piece. On the other cameras you screw in a base plate and then the camera screws into that. It made it easier to install.

So, it's an OK camera, but not the best I've ever seen.
on June 25, 2015
I too thought this camera is everything the other reviews said it was. Night , day sunny or pitch dark this camera performs well. For the money I can't think of any other camera that would out perform this one. I have several other Cameras and this is the best. The only reason I gave a 4 Star is there are NO DIRECTIONS FOR THE ZOOM. I had to call tech support (yes... they have tech support) and the woman said "to unscrew the black housing & I would see 2 knobs." She failed to tell me I had to unscrew/unlock the knobs then move them & relock them in place. 1 for zoom, 1 for focus. Had to make several trips up a 20' latter in the heat of the day because it took a while for tech to call me.
on March 9, 2015
Good price. Quality is very good. The attached adjustor for fine settings and some added special features make it worth the money. So far these are working good in temperatures at around 90, but the real test won't happen for a few more months. I will let everyone know how they handle Yuma AZ weather!
on October 15, 2015
was a good camera, only problem was frustration how to adjust anthing, as others said no instructions, was similar to another I found on line printed instructions was able to understand it, access to adjust zoom feature is hiding behind the front black ring I have to unscrew, they say focus and zoom are behind there , didn't get to it yet , delivers good picture day and nigh out of the box , have to adjust zoom next , delivered on wide view
instructions would of saved me a lot of time and ladder time, good construction, value
captain Ed
on December 1, 2016
The item received is not what is pictured. The online description said it had zoom capabilities, but there is no varifocal lens dial (optical zoom) nor in-line control (digital zoom) to zoom in. The camera worked, but I needed zoom. Attached is a photo of what the cable coming from the camera looks like. The two switches you see in the photo are to toggle between NTSC and PAL video output.
review image
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2016
Unit may work fine, however if you need tech support to find out more information because the instructions are so bad, forget it you are on your own. Tech support called me back and I had simple questions, like what did the various menu choices do? and they didn't know. The instructions don't tell you what each thing does either or even how to adjust the menu, you need to figure that out on your own.