2001 - A Space Odyssey
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
EDITOR'S NOTE: According to a Warner Home Video technician involved in the production of The Stanley Kubrick Collection, Kubrick authorized all aspects of the Collection, from the use of Digital Component Video (or "D-1") masters originally
- Includes the original overture, entr'acte and exit music
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
Then off to another meeting, which I could not comprehend as a kid, but which, again, makes all too much sense to me as an adult -- the cover story promoted by the US after they find an obleisk buried on the Moon. From there on we meet the HAL 9000 unit and it's more of a suspense story, with their computer going insane and trying to kill the astronauts. Or perhaps acting to keep humans from meeting whatever the scenes on Jupiter were supposed to mean.
Was the final third of the movie Kubrick's idea of what an LSD experience was like? Keir Dullea is excellent throughout. The best part of the movie, really. Inspired casting.
Overall? I've been collecting sci fi movies for 20+ years now, and only last week got around to buying a copy of 2001. So maybe it's not great science fiction, but it does have some awesome sci fi hardware, and shown not as speculation, but as if it were actually functioning, which was revolutionary for sci fi up until 2001. Compare and contrast 2001 with Dark Star from 1974 or 1975. And then Aliens, and the Space Marines ("I hate this job.").
You've gotta see this, if only because it's a great movie. Just maybe not great sci fi.
The whole movie is classic and well made. Any Science Fiction fan should buy 2001 A Space Odyssey for being one of the most inspirational movies of the genre and it's re-watchable. 2001 has so much great things about it that it's just a good movie all around.
You will see detail and deep, rich colors like you have never seen in any previous transfer. Highly recommended. I watched this transfer for the first time today and was deeply moved.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Indie & Art House
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Aliens
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Classics
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Futuristic
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Horror
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment