Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Noah Gundersen Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,760 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,791 reviews
VINE VOICEon February 26, 2014
Clean picture, vivid colors. 2001 is an interesting movie. I'm not sure it's even science fiction. Certainly not a 1950s type of space opera or monster movie. The wordless scenes with the apes is classic, and the real sci fi meat of the excursion begins on a shuttle from Earth to a double-wheel space station shown under construction. There's a scene with some Russian astronauts or business people which bored the pants off me when I was a kid, but which I think is brilliant now that I'm an adult and realize what was being said in the exchange. Then onto another shuttle to the moon. The use of the then-thriving Pan Am airlines as a commercial carrier for Earth-to-the-Moon travel was brilliant, having their logo on the spaceships. The last bit of glorious sci fi hardware is when the shuttle lands on the moon in an underground base. Awesome stuff.

Then off to another meeting, which I could not comprehend as a kid, but which, again, makes all too much sense to me as an adult -- the cover story promoted by the US after they find an obleisk buried on the Moon. From there on we meet the HAL 9000 unit and it's more of a suspense story, with their computer going insane and trying to kill the astronauts. Or perhaps acting to keep humans from meeting whatever the scenes on Jupiter were supposed to mean.

Was the final third of the movie Kubrick's idea of what an LSD experience was like? Keir Dullea is excellent throughout. The best part of the movie, really. Inspired casting.

Overall? I've been collecting sci fi movies for 20+ years now, and only last week got around to buying a copy of 2001. So maybe it's not great science fiction, but it does have some awesome sci fi hardware, and shown not as speculation, but as if it were actually functioning, which was revolutionary for sci fi up until 2001. Compare and contrast 2001 with Dark Star from 1974 or 1975. And then Aliens, and the Space Marines ("I hate this job.").

You've gotta see this, if only because it's a great movie. Just maybe not great sci fi.
on February 19, 2014
Stanley Kubrick's science fiction masterpiece is so slow paced it takes nearly 20 minutes before someone utters the first line of dialogue: "Here we are, sir." In fact, dialogue in this movie is almost non-existent. There are long periods containing only music, or the breathing of astronauts in spacesuits, or sometimes no sound at all. The widescreen compositions are surprisingly detailed and dramatic. As a result, many people who have seen 2001 only on television don't think much of it. That's because its impact can only be appreciated on a theater screen where, paradoxically, the movie's periods of utter silence can be overwhelming. Despite all the improvements in special effects over the years, this remains the only movie that really does seem to take place in outer space, and space seems like a terribly cold, lonely, alien place. Much has been made about the end sequence, in which the last surviving astronaut of a deep-space mission is taken on a journey by unknown hands across undetermined distances to an unidentifiable destination. It is perhaps the one part of the movie that shows its age - that and the hairstyles of the women - but it is a minor complaint. After nearly half a century, it remains the zenith of the genre. Phil's Favorite 500: Loves of a Moviegoing Lifetime (2014 edition)
on March 29, 2015
One of the most inspiring Science Fiction movies of all time, and for a good reason. There are many memorable scenes to 2001 that make it great. The characters are developed perfectly and you feel bad for them when they are in trouble. HAL 9000 is a perfect villain for the movie and shows that sometimes artificial intelligence can get the better of its creators. HAL's monotone voice and emotionless state as being a computer and only having the one red "eye" makes him a creepy and memorable villain, even as he's "dying", it's creepy as ever. The soundtrack is perfect and memorable, sometimes atmospheric and creepy at some points. 2001 has an ominous ending that's very atmospheric.

The whole movie is classic and well made. Any Science Fiction fan should buy 2001 A Space Odyssey for being one of the most inspirational movies of the genre and it's re-watchable. 2001 has so much great things about it that it's just a good movie all around.
on October 18, 2014
I first watched this as a kid. I don't remember how old I was, maybe 10 or 11. 2010 had already been released. I don't remember which one I saw first but I'm pretty sure it was this one. What I remembered the most was how mind blowing it was.

I just watched it again after nearly 30 years. Since then I've watched all 50 years of Doctor Who, all the Star Treks and Star Wars movies and shows, Aliens, Predators, Firefly, you name it. Knowing this movie came out in 1968, and being able now to compare it to other movies and shows that came out in the years before and after, 2001 is truly a masterpiece.

It's not completely timeless, there's definitely a late 60's pastiche throughout the whole thing, with the hairstyles, the furniture, the some of the clothing and costume designs. But when it comes to the shots, angles, panoramas, and overall package, this movie was 10-15 years ahead of its time.

You have to get into a certain, almost Zenlike frame of mind to be able to sit down and watch this movie. It is slow, very slow. The word "meditative" was used in one description. As it starts out, you see nothing but blackness on the screen for several minutes, with this ethereal, otherworldly soundtrack droning in the background. I didn't remember this from when I watched as a kid so I skipped ahead a little to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the playback. But it's okay, just go with it.

After a while you start getting used to the pacing and it slowly pulls you in. But then, almost as soon as you think you start getting in sync with the rhythm, things start getting weird. Really weird. By then end you're left with nothing to say but "This is art."

I loved it. Even though you could argue it's not for everyone, it really is. I think everyone should see this movie. Whether you're a sci-fi fan, geek in training, or just someone who wants to become culturally educated, this movie is essential viewing. There's nothing too scary or disturbing in it for a young child, although getting a kid to sit through this might be a challenge. In a landscape of movies and shows with their breakneck pacing, fast cuts, and adrenaline pumping soundtracks, 2001 stands tall, silent, beautiful, and mysterious.
on October 19, 2016
2001 is arguably the best movie ever made. It's also arguably the most important movie ever made. And Kubrick is arguably the best director of all time. It's in my top 5 films for certain. Everything about it is epic and awe inspiring. Its ability to be interpreted from almost infinite directions allows it to never get old. Every time I watch it, I like it more and more. I do think it's a tough film to watch, at times, for the first time. It is more of a journey really. And one I think every movie watcher should experience.

I also recommend watching 'Jupiter and Beyond' to Pink Floyd's 'Echoes'. And I recommend reading the novel version of 2001 which was co-released by Arthur Clark with Kubrick around the same time 2001 came out in theaters.
on March 6, 2013
Beholding this science fiction, philosophical epic again--after many decades--provoked much thought and commentary, both concerning aesthetics and worldview matters.

Aesthetically, the film was pioneering in its special effects, the most dramatic of which come near the end of the film. This was done before computer graphics. The pace of the film is slow and contemplative until some of the final scenes. How refreshing that was, given the hyperactivity of most video today. It gives one time to think and simply enjoy the scenes.

The film's music is also compelling, as it reaches back to classical themes for space flight and for dramatic encounters. But for the monolith's appearance, we hear a large choir of human voices--singing without words. It is cogently creepy.

Philosophically, two ideas stand out. First, the film tries to explain the uniqueness of human beings by invoking something unknown, but intelligently placed: the monolith. It sparks ape-like creatures to become tool-users, and weapon bearers. It then shows up on the moon, where it sends a signal to Jupiter. When scientists attempt to explain the enigma on the moon, they use a "design inference": it could not be what it is and be placed where it was by merely natural forces (natural laws and chance). It was consciously put there. This is the same inference used by philosophers and scientists in the Intelligent Design movement. This struck me for the first time when I watched in a few days ago.

However arresting this monolithic mystery may be, it ultimately explains nothing. The author of the book, Arthur C. Clarke, was an atheist; but he seemed to know that we cannot explain human uniqueness through mindless nature. Something, someone, else is needed. But where did they come from?

Second,"2001" is a cautionary tale about technology, although created before personal computers and the Internet. The Discovery, Jupiter-bound, is run largely by HAL, a talking computer (who also gives interviews to the press). Yet HAL, for all his (artificial) intelligence, has no conscience. He puts the mission above the lives of the astronauts, only one of whom survives and outsmarts him in a poignant scene one cannot forget. "Dave, I am losing my mind....I can feel it..." Are we now losing our minds to technology? Has HAL landed on earth and in us?

For those accustomed to rapid-action, computer-graphical, mindless films, "200!," will come as a slap in the face: slow down, think, consider the meaning of life and our place in the universe.
on December 27, 2016
One of my personal all-time favorite movies. If you like sci-fi or have an appreciation for masterful filmmaking (or even if you don't) this is a must-see. The acting leaves a little to be desired, but that's more or less par for the course for Kubrick's films, give or take a Nicholson, Sellers, or Ermey. In any case, the acting is far from the main event in this film. Despite being made in 1968 without the benefit of a computer even remotely close to the power of HAL 9000 (or any computer at all, as far as I know), the visual effects Kubrick was able to achieve amazingly still hold up to this day. But I'm no film critic, so I'll shut up. Bottom line: WATCH. THIS. MOVIE.
on June 21, 2015
This is the 3rd of 27 movies that ever received my unconditional 5 stars, and the 1st that I wish there was 6.
I can not think of a time in my life that I did not know this movie since it came out when I began to understand movies as a 8 yo boy.
To this date except the telephone keypad and the handheld cameras in the spaceship, everything this movie introduced holds to be most accurate, and this movie was made at the time the computers were the size of a room that only calculated at the level of 2+2. The innovations this movie introduced have never been proven inaccurate. If Ronald Reagan did not turn the space program from exploration to lunatic star wars, by 2001 we would've been in the position this movie predicted and by now perhaps would have had humans exploring Mars and on the way to Jupiter.
In addition to all the amazingly mind boggling futuristic images of the inside of spaceships, the computers, touchscreen controlled machines 40 years before the first ones ever introduced, it is also amazing that the storyline begins some 200.000 years ago with almost precisely accurate evolutionary steps mankind has taken between being an ape like creatures and space dwellers.
With the monolith symbolizing the never ceasing quest of mankind to find the answer to question of WHY ARE WE HERE? And the first TOOL our ancestors learned to use that brought about humans we are today.
on April 6, 2015
What's there not to love about this classic. What I find provocative about the entire plot is that its based on moderate facts. We as a species tend....jump ahead when it comes to cognitive thinking and problem solving. The Egyptians are an example of this in that at one point in history they had NO fundamental knowledge of hydrodynamics and then suddenly BOOM they're masters of hydraulics, using water as a means to irrigate crops. Another example is the Indo-European whose knowledge on megalithic structures was modest at best and again a huge leap forward making monuments like Stone Henge possible. It does make one think about why do we make unusual leaps every few thousand years. Even in todays modern society we see that a lot. Not more than 15 years ago we could make computers that could only house one maybe two core processors and then like a kick in the teeth, in little over a year, we were making multi-core processors.

Is it simply our own ingenuity? Or is it something more? 2001 A Space Odyssey does make you think and even more-so today; a manned mission to Mars is already in the works and slated for a 2030's launch. That's little more than a decade and half away. Either we are extremely intelligent (which on occasion I doubt; just look at the Right Wing Republicans) or we got a boost from an unknown source. This film does make you contemplate it.
on August 16, 2013
Having always loved this film, I had heard (and read on Bluray.com) that this Blu Ray was beautiful, and couldn't wait to get one for myself. When I got mine and viewed it, I was NOT disappointed! It's the BEST blu ray quality I've seen on over 100 blu rays that I own, period-- and it doesn't need any allowances for being a 1968 film, it beats TODAY'S blu rays head to head!!

Well, the picture is simply OUTSTANDING--just beautiful. Sharpness, pretty colors--color hue and strength, overall "newness" to the look . . . this is how this movie should always have been. You can see every bit of detail on each actor's face, and the fleshtones (and other colors) are exactly accurate. The color is so vivid and the sharpness so unbelievable, it's incredible that this is a 1968 film; from the amazing blu ray picture quality, one would have thought it was made TODAY. It has simply amazing picture quality and crystal-clear audio quality.

In regards to the film/story/acting/script itself, I love it, always have, and frankly, I DON'T think it is "dated." On the contrary, it is quite fresh, to me. The photography is simply mesmerizingly beautiful, the classical music playing at many times just so powerful, melodic, and pretty. I never watched this film for the acting and so I can't comment on it; I watched it for its visual beauty, the incredible music, and the futuristic feel (and please note: I'm not a science fiction fan generally).

A landmark film, it was very contemporary then AND now, and still completely relevant . . . this film has it all, to me, providing a "100" "experience" (on a scale of TEN) for a futuristic look at the earth and the universe.

Perfectly mastered on Blu Ray? YES!! The most visually compelling blu ray I've ever seen.

GREAT job on this great film's transfer via beautiful Blu Ray remastering. Just a beautiful, pristine blu ray.