Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 2005 - 2010 Honda Odyssey Cross Bars
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

ASSEMBLY

I have a 2010 Honda Odyssey with the factory installed roof rails. I needed cross bars to go with them and bought these.

Everything about installing the cross bars was super easy, except for one thing. Problem is, that one thing could be the deal breaker for many. I am a woman with weaker than average, skinny arms. Of course, it could just be me; but I googled, and it seems like everyone else has trouble removing the end cap to the rail, which we have to do to install these cross bars.

I spent hours trying to figure out why placing the screwdriver in the hole and pressing wasn't good enough to slide the end cap off. Google told me all about twisting, pulling, prying, not inserting a screwdriver, the bent nail trick. I was on the verge of just bringing it in to the dealer. Let me tell you the trick that did it for me. Once I figured it out, it took me ten minutes on each side to get the end caps off.

First, I needed one of those rubber things we have in the kitchen to open jars. This gave me a good grip on the end cap.

Next, I placed a screwdriver into the hole and pressed. As I pressed the screwdriver towards me, I pushed on the end cap towards the screwdriver and also back towards the trunk. This is not easy to do as they are opposing forces. I did it in quick jerking motions with as much force as I could muster until they came off. I did it myself, but I recommend it be done with two people, if possible.

WHAT ELSE?

The cross bars are very attractive and they don't make any noise when I'm driving around with them. That was a huge concern of mine from reading about other people's experience with cross bars. Nope, no problem with that at all.

SUMMARY

The product itself is very nice. It was the minivan that posed the problem for installation. However, since installation is essential for the use of this product, I will lower the star rating to 3, for tough installation.

If you are wondering whether to buy these cross bars, I recommend you first try to remove the end cap on the rear of the roof rail. If you cannot do it, I don't recommend buying these cross bars, because you would not be able to attach the cross bars without that essential step. Once the end cap is removed, everything else is easy.

___________________________

UPDATE: I've used these crossbars for a few trips: once with a rooftop bag, and twice with saddlebags attached to the crossbars and rails. The bars hold solidly. We haven't had any problems.
on May 19, 2011
There is nothing sexy about cross bars. What I needed was something that was easy to install and could bear the weight of a cargo box. I settled on these bars for my '07 Honda Odyssey and am very pleased. After reading the reviews about difficulty of installation I was a bit nervous, but I actually thought that installation was easy - and this coming from a man who is not handy at all. Whole installation time took me about 30 minutes. The bars are sturdy and look great (almost sexy!). Anyway, highly recommend.
on June 4, 2012
These are robust and easy to install roof rack bars for my 2007 Honda Odyssey. Just read the reviews for hints about getting the roof rack end caps off. Mine came off by depressing the release button with a small screwdriver and a firm tug rearward. Installation was fairly easy, once I realized that the front and rear crossbars are slightly different lengths. Duh, the front one has a sticker saying "front" on it. We will be testing these with a couple of kayaks this weekend.
on January 28, 2012
I thought I would write a review, mainly because so many people were having the same problem with installation. The cross bars I received were easy to install. I do not consider myself to be extremely handy with tools, but I did not have any problems. The hardest part for me, like everyone else, was removing the plastic end covers. I watched a video on youtube (searched for 2006 Honda Odyssey crossbar installation), then took the parts outside to put them on. Here is what worked for me: I pushed the screwdriver into the small hole. I could easily feel the tab being pushed back. I then just started rocking the plasic cover back and forth while also pushing back towards the bumper. It was not easy, but after a few tries, it popped right off. The rest of the install is straightforward. I have given the product 5 stars, because it seems like a quality product and is very sturdy. I haven't actually put them to the test, yet, but if I have any problems, I will get back online and rate accordingly. Hope this helps.
on June 13, 2011
I read all the reviews first and here are my findings:
I tried to take off the end caps before I even ordered. I would suggest the same for anyone thinking about this.
As another review said I had to push with the screwdriver in the hole while pushing the end cap with my other hand toward the screwdriver and to the back of the van. That was the trick (pushing toward the screwdriver).

I also did not find the "holes" to line up the placement of the bars easily...this is because they are NOT holes. They are tiny indents.

Both of those tips are about Honda's actual parts and NOT the crossbars...but they are necessary to the project.

The only thing about the bars is I tightened all the bolts with the alan wrench and one just kept spinning so I think it stripped. I would say just don't tighten too much on those.

Edit - Couple months in I fixed the stripped screw with JB Weld but the damn things whistle at 60mph and up.
Gonna have to just throw them out. Waste of money.
on June 6, 2011
Quality:
Quality seems good and solid. Time will tell for sure. I had to hit the hardware store to purchase the 4 standard and 4 locking washers that were all left out of mine for some reason. A day later I also ended up purchasing the 4 longer mounting screws (around 1.5" instead of 1" - metric btw) so they'd actually extend through the mounts a bit instead of terminating somewhere unknown inside. These give me much more confidence that they are secure. Grabbed them in stainless steel.

Installation:
It all goes pretty easy once the rear end caps are off. Thanks to the other reviews here I had some good ideas to work with. I found inserting a blunt 3" screw into the hole and forcing the cap backwards did the trick on one side with some serious muscling (inserting something into the hole does help some as it spreads the retaining spring from a stop block on the cap). The other side was way more stubborn and couldn't muscle it off, so I tried the suggested strategy of popping it loose with a hammer and piece of wood. This worked very well. A few small taps and the cap popped right off. Definitely no damage - I wish I'd done it on the first side as well - was too easy. Also, yes, the dots indicating where to place the mounts are tiny. They're there though, just search with good light. When mounting the actual bars, pay attention to front/back orientation as described in the instructions. The leading edge of each rack has a skinnier band in front of the bumper that runs the length of the bar. Finally, after tightening the 4 main screws, make sure to use the included allen wrench to tighten the bolts on the underside. They will be loose on one side.

For the price I would buy these racks again. I'll be using them intermittently with 100 lbs max so I'm sure they'll work fine.
on June 11, 2011
I ordered these a while back. The box was received torn and the crossbars and end caps looked worn.. When I looked at the instructions I soon found out I was missing the necessary hardware to install. Company was quick to send hardware but when I tried to fit the cross bars I found the front crossbar to be about 2.5 inches too long. They say the front is supposed to be slightly longer than the back. Mine is 3 inches longer. Took it to the dealer to compare their crossbars and sure enough the back one was right on but the front not even close to being the right length. Am in the process of trying to get a refund right now...
on July 24, 2011
Thes bars are very good.The directions fail to tell you that ther are no screws to remove, instead there are clips that need to be pushed in with a flat edge screw driver while you pull back out the part of the roof rail that needs to come off. Besides that the rails are great ,strong and a perfect fit,not to mention a great price.
on June 27, 2013
I installed this myself in about 30 minutes. Hardest part is getting those end caps off. Used a screwdriver in the slot and a hammer to "knock" them off. (I am a small, middle-aged woman.)

Once those were off, very easy to screw on the holders and attach the bars. Have used these on a couple trips with my Sears rooftop carrier with no problems. Glad I did it myself and saved the $$$.
on June 9, 2012
The cross bars are of decent quality but the bolts that were include were very low quality. The threads on two of the four bolts were stipped and I ended up having to buy longer bolts to secure the cross bars. Also the caps on the end of each cross bar were not attached but they included the bolts so that was strange since the directions didn't mention needing to attach the end pieces to the cross bars. Overall, it was a decent purchase but having to get extra bolts was a small hassle.

See 1 answered question