Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 2012 Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on September 29, 2011
I just received "2012 Children's Writer's & Illustrator's Market", but the "Age Level Index" and "Photography Index" are missing. The chapters "How to use CWIM" and "Book Publishers" both refer to these indexes, but they do not appear in the table of contents and they do not seem to exist at the end of the book. There is a "Subject Index" and an "Editor Names Index" at the end of the book and both of these indexes appear in the table of contents as well.

I am not a photographer, but the "Age Level Index" would have been of use to me (I eventually just compiled the list myself but it took some time).

It is possible that this is just a problem in my copy, however because these indexes do not appear in the table of contents I do not think that this is the case. Has anyone else noticed the problem?

The book is very useful otherwise although it seems like it is geared more towards YA novel writers with less content for picture book author/illustrators, like myself. That hardly comes a surprise, however as it seems the market trends in that direction.

Best of luck to everybody!
44 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2011
This book is essential if you're interested in writing or illustrating for children. That being said, I do think the book is slanted toward YA and middle grade authors. I am a beginning picture book illustrator so the articles in the book aren't that helpful to me. But if you're a YA or chapter book writer definitely get the book! Mainly I will be using it for the agent and publisher listings.
With the purchase, you receive one year of online subscription to Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market.
on January 16, 2012
For an aspiring YA author (or any person who is uncomfortable with internet research), I imagine this book would be very helpful. But for anyone interested in children's picture books, this book has very little to offer.

I did a lot of research online before I ordered this book. I read publisher's websites and looked at book catalogs to get a feel for what they published; I made a list of mainstream publishers who accept unsolicited manuscripts; I read author's blogs and interviews with editors; I browsed websites with articles and checklists for first-time children's authors. Many websites referenced this book, so I finally bought it. But I was severely disappointed.

Overall, I feel that the book is very shallow and targeted towards those who know absolutely nothing about the publication process. All of the information about the publishers is available online from other websites for free. And there are some good publishers that are not listed in the book.
on May 27, 2013
As with the first review I did, I reitterate, I am really upset that I was charged for full postage and packaging indivually on three books I bought, Have they not heard of bulk postage and packaging? I was charged for three seperate P&P, why not combined postage with a rebate! Lousy attitude. The book is super!
on September 8, 2014
Lots of information but most of it is available elsewhere. Information and ideas are general in nature. There is nothing specific to direct you to the right solution
on November 12, 2011
The book is current in content and I supose accurate.My focus is on magazine (pp. 269-305)which is helpful but limited in scope as compared to the "books" section.Other than that, it's helpful.