Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on October 18, 2012
I have ordered the FLylady calendar for several years now and I love it. This year I decided to check if I could find something comparable on Amazon. While browsing I found Amy Knapps Big Grid Calendar & decided to give it a try.

When the calendar arrived, I felt that it was very comparable. The height of the page is about the same. The page on the Amy Knapp Calendar is wider. The box for each day on the calendar is very close in size with the exception that on the Amy Knapp Calendar there is a blue section at the bottom of each day that says "Dinner Menu" & leaves room to write in what you have planned for dinner that night. (This takes up the equivalent space of 1 1/2 lines of the Flylady Calendar.)

Each month does have a suggested list of to do's for that month called "Monthly Projects".

On August the "Monthly Projects" lists has:

Sort and Inventory Fall/Winter clothing, coats and boots
Update your address book and/or Christmas card list
Make your holiday shopping list
Talk to your kids about their Halloween costumes
Research and discuss spring vacation plans
Make sure your family's eye exams are up to date
Make sure your family's immunizations are up to date.

Instead of the name of the month being centered on the page like the flylady calendar has it, the Amy Knapp Calendar has the name of the month on the left side of the page & the "Monthly Projects" list is to the right, so the list does not eat up actual calendar space.

The pages on both Calendars seem to be the same type of paper and a comparable thickness. The pages on the Amy Knapp Calendar may be slightly thinner, but I don't think it's by much.

I noticed that holidays for the UK, Aus, ACT, NSW, SA, SCT, NZL and others as well as US & Can were listed on the Calendar. I'm not sure if the list of holidays is all inclusive.

The only "con" that I noticed is that the Amy Knapp calendar does not have the pocket in the back that the Flylady calendar has.

All in all, I feel like this calendar has the same features that I love about Flylady's & I am pleased with the product.
11 comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 24, 2012
I've been using this calendar for a few years now, and it's really great. Several years ago I saw the Sandra Boynton moms' calendar and didn't care for the cute characters, so I set out to find something else. This calendar suits the same needs with the cute factor.

-Each month is over two pages.
-Each day has several faint lines, making it easy to write in several items on one day.
-The layout is very simple and clean looking (at least before you fill it up with events!).
-The paper is regular paper (not the glossy kind that many calendars are printed on), so you can erase pencil entries completely.
-There are several reminders along the sides for tasks to complete that month (inventory pantry, check holiday card list, etc.)--though honestly I don't use them myself.
-And my favorite--the calendar runs over 17 months, starting in August. So the 2013 calendar goes from August 2012 to December 2013. I love this! Anyone with school-aged children likely starts the new calendar in late summer, not January. Because of this feature I can write out the entire school year in one sitting over the summer instead of filling in a new calendar in December.

-The paper is on the thin side, and markers bleed through. But I write in pencil anyway, so this isn't a problem for me. Regular ball point pens don't bleed through, though.
on November 12, 2012
Our family life has so many tiny details, and this calendar gives plenty of room for all of it! Paper pages (instead of glossy) makes writing and erasing with a pencil much easier. No photos means more room for the actual calendar, while still being more attractive than office-type blotter calendars. Bold, cute stickers for special reminders (would love to have more of these). Special spaces for things like monthly reminders, meal planning and To Do lists. Nice spiral binding makes it lay flat on our table, which is where we keep it for all to see and write on.

Some reviewers haven't cared for the paper pages because their pens bleed through, but I prefer it this way because my pencils write and erase so cleanly. I would recommend erasable colored pencils for those who wish to color-code, while retaining the ability to change plans without hunting for white-out to change the calendar.

There is no doubt in my mind that I will continue to purchase this particular calendar in subsequent years. I did a lot of research trying to find a calendar that suits our family's needs, and this is the one for us.
on May 14, 2014
I buy this calendar every year, I have tried others but I always come back. It has lots of room to write. Can write notes, reminders to yourself at the top...I have tried the ones with 1 line for everyone but have had a hard time following who's line is who's ( my problem may not be other people's problem). The kids enjoy putting the stickers on for special days. I like that it changes with the school year plus a little bit more in case I am too busy to order one right away when they come out.
on November 27, 2012
Last year I had the MOM calendar. This year I decided to try something different based on the reviews of this calendar. Overall I feel the MOM (more time moms) calendar was better made and had more space on each box (day) of the month. This one has 7 lines per box and the MOM calendar has 9. That little extra space makes a big difference when you're trying to keep track of 5 schedules/activities! Also the MOM calendar has 3 holes to hang it, where this one only had one. For the weight of the calendar I ended up punching 2 more support holes at the top.

The calendar serves its purpose, but the MOM in my opinion was better designed by using all margin space and bigger boxes for each day.
on January 18, 2013
I really like this calendar. Although my kids aren't old enough to have a lot of extracurricular activities, I work full time and my husband is a firefighter working 24 hour shifts. We have a lot of meetings and trainings, plus I work some nights and weekends, but this calendar makes it easy to keep track. We especially like the big activity stickers, so I can walk by and know someone has a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, for example. I also like the paper - it isn't glossy so I don't worry about smearing pen all over the place. You could easily use pencil if you prefer. We previously used the Sandra Boynton Mom's Family Calendar, which has the stickers as well but each family member has a column. I think this would make sense if your kids were older, but for us I like to look at our schedule by day or week instead of by person. The only con is that the paper is a bit thin, like notebook paper more than card stock.
on September 24, 2012
I just received Amy Knapp's Big Grid Family Organizer and love it. It certainly is a big calendar. The usual spot on the side of refrigerator just isn't big enough for this calendar. I had to put a new nail in the wall to hang this up but I like where it is and I enjoy being able to see everything on it quickly and easily. Each month takes up two pages and there is plenty of room to write on each block. This helps in creating what we are doing by time. At the bottom of each day, there is a spot to write in that night's dinner. Definitely a bonus. Another bonus is the sheet of color stickers for doctor appointments, no school, game practice etc. I agree with the other reviewers who say the pages are flimsy, however using a ball point pen and not a marker will make it so it doesn't seep through. Overall, this suits mine and my family needs and I think it's a great calendar!
on December 30, 2012
Yes, this is the quintessential family planning staple. I keep it on the fridge with magnet clips and write everyone's comings and goings, reminders, special dinner requests, activities, birthdays, etc. My fridge is a side by side and it works great. It is long - about 30 inches open, the month is spread over the top and bottom pages so it may be too long if you have a top freezer style fridge.
on September 26, 2012
Well, this is a letdown.

The Big Grid Family Organizer turns out to be an ordinary calendar, after all. No, strike that -- ordinary calendars usually have pictures or interesting graphics. This is just a large plain paper calendar, period.

What makes this an "organizer" is the fact that there are seven faint lines printed on each calendar day square. I suppose the sheet of little stickers is cute, but for the purposes of planning, I find it faster to just write the activity than hunt up a sticker to put on the day square.

Realistically, those paper desk blotter calendars are bigger and have more space to write in than this Big Grid family organizer. I wish I had one of those right about now...

There was no "look inside this" on the product page. In order to know what the organizer looked like inside, I had to remove the shrink wrapping from the product...which pretty much makes it unreturnable.

Thanks a lot, Amazon.
88 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 1, 2012
This is probably my 3rd or 4th year using an Amy Knapp big grid calendar. I always order them when they first come out. It nice and big with plenty of room to write all the family stuff on. I wish the paper were a little thicker, but I compensate by not using felt tip markers on it, and it's not so thin that I'd rate it less than 5 stars. I like that it isn't like some of the family calendars with grids for family members. I don't use my calendar that way so this one is great.