Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 705 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 800 reviews
on December 9, 2012
The idea is of taking underwater pix of dogs is revolutionary and the purchase is certainly worth it. Yet, my mistake, I hadn't realized that the book's dimensions do not allow any larger picture. Double-page images being cut right in the middle due to the binding, the pictures appear less beautiful than they could.
on October 21, 2013
I assume dogs have ALWAYS looked like this when they are diving & playing in the water. Now, Seth Casteel has captured for us views that have never been seen before. After a 1-page introduction, each turn of a page shows a photo of a dog looking into water or diving under the surface pursuing a toy. Each dog is identified by name, breed, & age. One looks like a shark, one looks like a donkey, others look like alligators. Nearly all have their eyes wide open, the better to follow a ball or other toy. Some appear goofy (like the dog on the cover), some appear scary, all are intensely focused.

A word about the layout of the book: of the 90 pictures, only 10 have the binding crease touching a dog's face. I didn't feel this was bothersome.

I wondered what the dogs looked like when they were not under water. At the back are small b&w headshots taken when the dogs were sitting pretty for the camera on dry land.

I don't know whether I will look through this book over & over again. But my life is richer now that I have seen these photos.
on December 8, 2012
This book has some very funny and beautiful photographs of these dogs. It is one of those books that is not only good for the intended recipient, but also will entertain any guests one may have.

One issue I had with this book was the layout. Some photos are centered, which means that due to the binding the photos are essentially disfigured by the layout. You can't see the whole expression of the dog, despite the fact it was enlarged around two pages for the purpose of highlighting that photo. Other photos were off-center, or covered one page, which made it much more fitting for the format.

If they would change the centering so that photos were not cut off by the binding, or bind it differently, that would improve the quality of the printing and make all the photographs equally visible.
on September 23, 2014
I love underwater dogs and this is my second calendar, but I do have to say I'm extremely disappointed in the photos. They are the same photos that were in the 2014 appointment book. There's nothing new to see here. If you have the 2014 calendar and accompanying appointment book, the 2015 Calendar are those same pictures. I had assumed a new year would bring new photos.
on March 1, 2016
A laugh out loud funny and sweet testimony to the awesomeness of dogs. I think the photographs are beautiful. My only complaint is many of the pages have the dogs face right across the spine/binding so you can't see it very well. It wasn't laid out well- who would do that to a beautiful picture? I first saw this at Barnes and Noble bookstore and wanted to buy it really bad but I'm glad I bought it used on Amazon, after looking through it a few times, I was over it and glad I didn't spend $20 plus on it at the bookstore. A must see, must share book for dog lovers.
on February 24, 2016
If you are looking for an outstanding gift for a dog lover, these books are the ticket. You'll get smiles and even tears (if the lover is more of and obsessed with dogs person, don't ask me how I know) when you give these as gifts. The quality of the pictures and printing is outstanding, there are many different breeds and it's a great coffee table conversation piece as well.
on February 17, 2016
Love this goofy book. I got it for Christmas from my boyfriends sister and I have it on my coffee table as a conversational book. Everyone always reaches for it becuase the cover is so funny & cute. I bought one for my grandpa who's a crazy dog person. He absolutely loved it. It's a great gift for that special dog person in your life.
on January 9, 2013
and the pics were fantastic - but for a photobook, the layout was not so good - on a few of the pics the focal point (the dog's face) was right in the crease when it was a 2 page pic - there had to be a better way to do it.
on February 7, 2013
The photographer, Seth Casteel, specializes as a pet photographer in LA and Chicago. His reputation rests upon this sub-specialization, pun intended, Underwater Dogs. It is his first book and is highly successful. Dogs, humor and great photos make it a winner reminiscent of Wegman's innovations.

He understands dogs and their wildly expressive enthusiasm for chasing balls and fearless water play. This is physical humor with a heart. You get to see it all so clearly because he also demonstrates the skills and knowledge to light his moving subjects under water and what a particular lens' focal length matched with the right point of view can capture what matters the most in a fraction of a second. He distills that one moment out of the many in each dive. He has convinced both natural breeds and unusual breeds to "go for it". Fun meets trust. Thankfully, he also is skilled in how to control tone, color, contrast and depth of field masterfully to complement the composition and intentional distortion of the subject. He solves complicated problems and has a good eye.

However, in general, this is not an entirely new creative genre. The more established William Wegman is the undisputed pioneer and creative master of humor, gesture and novelty photography using dogs. Consequently, there is already an existing market for anything adorable and humorous with dogs that steps beyond dogs posed for simple calendar shots. Casteel's version has a Wegman in space effect. The pool provides a way for the dogs to defy gravity while still allowing natural distortions created by water resistance from the force of the dive. The result pulls and parts various flaps and folds of the dogs' faces. This allows for the unexpected and highly expressive to surprise us and to distinguish each dive from the others. Casteel, like Wegman, understands the crux is the power of gesture, and that the unexpected or unusual sells. I think Casteel has far better craft than Wegman, although Wegman does not rely upon matters of craft. But Casteel is absolutely dependent upon it and thankfully for us, has complete control over everything except the magic born in the singular moment itself. Casteel is not trying to be Wegman, does make elaborate set-ups, props or wardrobe, and instead has carved out his own "underwater dog guy" identity quite well. Both photographers succeed wonderfully for their own reasons.

Since Casteel is also partly based in Chicago I am hoping for my own reasons he might figure out a way to do a book that relates to our city. Maybe shots of dogs diving through ice fishing holes on Lake Michigan can contrast with southern Californian pools. They might chase loaded Bowser Dogs instead of balls.

I have given this book as a gift to several friends with happy results. It also happens to be well printed for a very modest price. I think it is a steal.
on January 2, 2015
I gave this to my sister before I go to college so that she when she felt lonely or bored out of her mind, she could flip through this book and be undeniably happy looking at these dogs doing crazy underwater poses. We had a great time going through it together and loved the variety of ways you could see the personality of the dogs even underwater-with the petite, prim dogs appearing to be regal and in their element even underwater, and the playful, bigger dogs looking shocked among dozens of bubbles, their arms flailing. The pugs had the funniest pictures, what with their huge mouths. If you're not a dog lover, and you aren't particularly the type of person to enjoy flipping through books of pictures without much reading, then this may not be the perfect book for you, but if you are, it's amazing! It was a great buy!!