Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best Of Head East
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

on November 15, 2002
Head East never really made it as far as big-time musicians go unless you grew up in the Midwest in the '70s. And that's a shame, because some of their best albuns like "Gettin' Lucky" are not yet available on CD. This band and REO Speedwagon were big favorites at the University of Illinois;... Anyway, this band has a little bit of Styx, Yes and Boston in them, all mixed together with a hard-rock edge while staying clean and crisp. Keyboardist Roger Boyd was a big part of the richness of their music, along with an above-average ability to harmonize their vocals. Until all their albums are available on CD, you'll do well with this compliation. "Never Been Any Reason", of course (the only track you ever hear on the radio) leads it off, although 'Jefftown Creek", which led off Side 2 of their debut album, is better, a tale of that first encounter. Maybe my favorite track on this album is "Monkey Shine", which was taken off their second album "Get Yourself Up", a short, hard-charging number with a great keyboard solo. "Gettin' Lucky", the title track from their third album, is another party classic ("well you know, another night another number gettin' lucky"). "Since You Been Gone", another minor radio hit, is also here as well as "Keep A Secret", a disco-y track taken off the not-so-great "A Different Kind of Crazy" album (that one IS available on CD, go figure. "Take A Hand" is taken off their live album, which is also available and recommended. Hopefully, someday great tracks on their albums not on CD like "Call to Arms and Legs", "The Victim", "Back in My Own Hands" and "Love My Blues Away" will become available, but until then, this collection is highly recommended!
on August 19, 2005
This collection includes all the classics by this really cool Midwestern band that had all the ingredients to go a lot further than they did but for some inexplicable reason, fell through the cracks after about four or five releases. My only question is for the reviewer who thought they sounded like a southern rock band...that same person also said no other southern rock band (not that these guys even WERE southern at all) used keyboards (pardon me, but what is that instrument heard all through Sweet Home Alabama and Free Bird if it's not a keyboard?) Minor quibbles I know...this was some of the coolest MIDWESTERN rock and roll to come along about the same time Styx broke wide open and REO Speedwagon wasn't far behind. My other comment about this collection would be that I'd pick it up not so much for the inclusion of "Never Been Any Reason" (that's why I got Flat as a Pancake) but for their excellent version of Russ Ballard's classic "Since You've been Gone" (worth the price of admission all by itself). Barring the eventual release of "Get yourself Up" and their self titled album with the road sign cover, if this is the only way to get at least SOME of their great stuff, by all means pay your money and put the headphones on. This is GREAT '70s classic rock, bar none.
on October 20, 2002
Head East were like a more progressive version of the Outlaws, combining a rural influence with prog-rock keyboards. This collection contains most- but not all- of their best material. It would have been nice to have more of their live material here, and the disco number "Keep A Secret", should have been left off altogether, as it is not representative of the group's true sound. These minor quibbles aside, THE MILLENNIUM COLLECTION is an excellent anthology of an underrated band.
on March 2, 2015
One star. Not because of the music itself, but the "REMASTER". It's complete junk. Who remastered it? A seven year old with an old Macbook? I mean it's absolutely awful. Like a scam. I've never bought a "20th Century Master" before, bought another one with this and it's awful as well. I'm kind of pissed to tell you the truth. Will Amazon take returns on these? They should stop selling them. Also the reviews on music on Amazon always seem to be "I love this band"! Which is great except the quality of the recording is important as well. Especially if you have decent equipment to listen. I even bought the CD, so it's not the MP3 that's an issue.
Anyway, my opinion? Stay away from these 20th Century Masters recordings!
on November 19, 2001
A really excellent collection. I totally enjoyed this as it has the studio versions of all of my favorite songs from the LIVE LP which still rocks - too bad they don't rerelease that on CD in its entirety. You can't go wrong with this one as they are all of the popular classics without any bad ones.
on August 13, 2013
Head East is one of those great bands from the 70's that doesn't seem to get the recognition they deserve! This is undoubtedly because of the huge amount of competition this time period offered. It is a rare thing indeed to find a greatest hits or best of that captures all of the bands best songs always seeming to leave one or two songs missing & this offering is no exception to that! But it is a great collection of songs from a great band. If you grew up in the 70's this collection of song's will bring back some great memories. If your not that familiar with the band Head East this is a great introduction that captures the essence of the band satisfactorily. As the years march on it is becoming increasingly harder to get your hands on music from this band I'm not sure if all of their album's were even digitally transferred to C.D's so this may be a C.D. you want to snatch up for your rock & roll collection. I saw this band along with Cheap Trick at a county fair during both bands prime! I couldn't believe it until I found out that Head East is from the Mid West area. So it was for the love of their rural roots & not greed that allowed me the opportunity to see this band up close & personal in a small town venue. Just like so many things from your youth there's just no repeating it!
on July 19, 2014
Brings back the good old days of the late Seventies. If you're familiar with them you know "Never Been Any Reason" was the bands only hit song. I've know that one word for word for thirty years, but I was curious if there might be a hidden gem in the Head East collection. Well, all the songs are pretty good. "Get Up And Enjoy Yourself" is mighty good. Upbeat, nice guitar, good vocals. The other song worth hearing is "Take A Hand". It's Live. Got a good melody that'll grow on you. They are ALL GOOD SONGS. Roger Boyd sounds just like Tommy Shaw and that's NOT A BAD THING. If you like STYX or KANSAS you might want to give these boys a try.
on May 1, 2015
I guess like many hear - I bought it for "Never Been Any Reason" - a big hit from my youth in the 70's - but I was pleasantly surprised by many of the other songs on this collection esp. "Love Me Tonight" and "Since You Been Gone". It's really good 70's rock/pop, almost "proggy" at times with the keyboards. For the price it's a good value.
on March 12, 2014
I got "Never Been Any Reason" stuck in my head and decided I needed the CD. The price was right and I got the MP3 download for free. I was listening to the album 10 minutes after ordering it. That's why I love ordering music from Amazon.
on May 14, 2015
Great music by a Great Band ! Doesn't contain all their best stuff but a lot of it should have had If you knew me better on it .Great song I wish the current lineup would do this song live in concert !