Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Prophets of Rage PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 21-30 of 167 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 581 reviews
on July 12, 2008
I read this book for my monthly book club. This book was a fast read and the characters and plot was an interesting development. I still can't believe that this is a true story!

I'm definitely looking forward to the movie to see if it lives up to the expectations that the book has already set.
on March 20, 2014
This is one of those books that I really could not put down. I am pretty sure I read it cover to cover in one or two sittings. While the movie 21 (which was based on this book) was decent it really doesn't come close to being as good as the book. I rarely recommend books to friends but whenever someone is looking for something to new to read I immediately mention Bringing Down the House. Do yourself a favor and read it.
on July 7, 2013
We all know that you cannot beat the casinos in Vegas. The MIT Blackjack teams tried to even the score and give these casinos a run for their money. Their brilliant card counting strategies taught by one former professor created a mini corporation of energetic individuals who worked in teams to even out the odds -- it's an exciting, fun and incredibly interesting book on how you can be successful at the Blackjack tables. Wonderful summer reading. It will make a great movie.
on August 22, 2015
I really enjoyed this true story about bringing down the house in vegas. I found the story captivating because I like to gamble and enjoy going to Las Vegas. It is pretty cool how people try the advantage and eventually still get caught doing it. Is it really cheating if you are that smart?
on May 7, 2017
Well written. I get the feeling there are so many more stories to tell than what is in the book.
on July 7, 2015
Amateur writing... Everything's in superlatives. Consequently there's very little ACTUAL drama to this tripe. In fact, it was clear the movie wrote itself from the book.
on October 28, 2015
This book was the basis of the movie "21" starring Kevin Spacey. It is a good read that offers the reader what it was like working, winning, and the risks at playing team Blackjack. It is a compelling story of MIT's original Blackjack team.
on May 13, 2009
I read this book last year on summer vacation. I brought it to casually read on the beach through out the week, but instead read it all in one day. It was so riveting that I could not put it down.

Once I read the book, I bought the movie - major disappointment. The movie was terrible and did not follow the book. They took certain liberties in the movie to make it more "Hollywood" but they just didn't have too (in the movie for instance, the main character's dad passed away, but in the book, he's alive and well and provides an interesting backdrop to the plot).

Buy the book, skip the movie.
on December 11, 2013
We all dream of taking down the casino, but the truth is, it takes hard work and skills. Skills that only a few MIT math whiz kids could pull off. If you know the real story behind the events of the book, you'l know the casino was never fooled by Semyon's arms dealer schtick, but that's okay, sometimes the story is better when a few things are glossed over.
on September 4, 2013
It kept my interest because of wondering how and when they would no longer be able to bilk the casinos. I remember when the book came out in the 60's about card counting as a way to win at 21, but this took card counting to a whole new level. This type of book and pursuit were out of my usual element, but somehow I couldn't lay the book down. Overall a good read.