AT&T 2701HG-B 2Wire Wireless Gateway DSL Router Modem
|Price:||$105.99 + $5.99 shipping|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Greenlight easy-to-use, browser-based configuration
- Allows flexibility of wired and wireless connections (cable for wied connection included)
- LED indicators keep you aware of network status
- Horizontal desktop placement for easy integration into your setup
- External power supply (included)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
More to the point, the wireless network portion is an 802.11g router - meaning it's an older slower technology. If you're going to buy a wireless router nowadays, you should get a faster 802.11n router, which should be back-compatable with 802.11g hardware. Why are they shipping 802.11g routers nowadays when 802.11n has been official since September, 2009, and widely available since summer, 2007?
Not to mention, for the money you spend on this router, you could purchase an identical one with 1) print-server capabilites (meaning you could attach a printer to the router allowing anyone on your wireless network to attach to the router) and/or 2) a port for Network Attached Storage (a backup hard drive or media disk you can avoid attaching and de-attaching to your computer). It also doesn't have the, ahem, ease of use that dodge most makers of routers. Compare Apple's AirPort to make the router function as a bridge (basically a way to extend a wireless router by using it to relay or boost the signal from another router). On an Apple router, you click a box saying "enable bridge mode," on this, you enter VPI 0, VCI 35, disable PCI search, change the connection type, and disable routing...and remember to press save.Read more ›
- No UPnP support
- Bad handling of local network DNS: somehow it ended up with two records for the same laptop, now accessing it by the name cannot be done. Laptop gets assigned IP address associated with one record via DHCP, but DNS reports the IP from the other one.
- You cannot edit DNS records - once the device information goes into the router, it stays there forever
- Very convoluted procedure for setting up port forwarding
- For initial set up, you need a Windows application. Don't even look at this router if you're using a different operating system.
- Worst of all, sometimes it refuses to operate wireless. Wired connections are okay, but the wireless network disappears from the list of available networks. Usually it reappears in 10-15 minutes, or if modem is unplugged from AC power for 2-3 minutes.
Bottomline: unreliable, unhandy, unworthy.
Here's the problem with the modem. It is designed to last for just over a year so that the warranty runs out, then without warning, bye bye modem. Had to go and buy a new one, and it's not just a simply yank old, put in new and away you go. You must go through the entire setup.
The one problem with buying it through Amazon is the price. $199.99 from Amazon, go into Bestbuy and buy it for $100 and into an AT&T store and get it for $80.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
It could have worked, but no password was provided with this unit. Thankfully my unit only had a power cord go bad, so it still worked to solve my problemPublished 27 days ago by Carra Augustine
works great do far!
one fourth the price ATT would have charged me!
This was a worthless purchase. It was supposed to be new, but when I tried to install, it did not register. Read morePublished 3 months ago by Nicholette F. Bell