Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$9.49

Showing 1-10 of 259 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 312 reviews
on September 21, 2012
If you think that his album "Gone" was one of his best (and most underrated) albums, then you will love this CD. Dwight long ago left the confines of limiting his songs to any "country" genre. His musical influences were shaped by AM radio where country songs bumped up against rock and roll, soul and smooth ballads. This album is a culmination of all those influences from the Burrito Brothers to the Byrds to Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, the Beatles and beyond. He continues his defiant musical stance of writing songs with meaning and creating music that echo all the sounds he loves to hear. His song "Waterfall" is deceptive here. It comes across as almost a nursery rhyme kind of song. But is so much more than that -- there is wit, humor and pathos working in the lyrics and melody. Another reason to own this CD is the last song -- just Dwight's sorrow-filled, soulful tenor and a solo piano reminding the listener that he or she still has "A long way to go". I defy anyone to listen to this song and not get a bit choked up. Its right up there with his most beautiful ballads such as "Dreams of Clay" and "Last Heart in Line".
on October 4, 2012
I am truly amazed by 3 Pears. I was expecting another great CD by Mr. Yoakam, but I was surprised that 3 pears would be this notable. I guess it's always a risk whenever an artist does something different and unexpected. However, a chronological look at all of his releases show that he never repeats what he has already done. Guess what? Not going to get the same as with Guitars, Cadillacs, This Time, or Buenas Noches albums. And this, in my opinion, is why Dwight Yoakam remains electrifying after all these years.

In these trying times its great to have music that leaves you hanging on. Yoakam's songwriting skills do not disappoint - such as the exemplary "Waterfall". Some of the tracks, such as "3 Pears" and "Heart Like Mine" deserve to be on the standard collection. Yoakam does best with the ballads, "It's Never Alright", and (OMG) the reprise version of "Long Way To Go".

Some of the songs deserve radio play on the national stations. I hope they do. But something like 3 Pears, which stands out against the homogenous sounding music that gets on the mainstream airwaves usually does not get played on the radio. Thank goodness for alternative stations and the internet.
VINE VOICEon October 28, 2012
3 PEARS

Being a long time Yoakam fan, I was delighted to see a new CD being released. Never one to disappoint, Dwight kicks things into high gear and leaves you wanting for more.

The twelve tracks on this CD vary in mood, tempo, thoughts, music. Each one is dependently different from the others. The lyrics are heart-felt, ringing true with the human touch and emotions. Yoakam penned all but two; he still has what it takes and the other two are also excellent lyric-wise.

DIM LIGHTS, THICK SMOKE makes you get up and shake your bootie, yell yeehaw!, and have some good old fun. I don't know how anyone could sit still while listening to this track.

A HEART LIKE MINE is sweetly romantic; I love everything about this song. MISSING HEART is another favorite; sad, romantic, and wonderful.

Hey, this entire CD is good listening. Dwight has mixed things up and the result is nothing but fantastic! His voice is strong, easy-going, and first rate.

The wait for this new work was worth it. This is a CD that you simply must add to your collection. It's fun, it's dynamic, it's simply Dwight.

Thank you.

Pam
on January 26, 2016
Dwight Yoakam, a country singer, who will be the first to tell you, ”No I’m not,” and Yes I am,” in the same sentence is more than a walking contradiction ... he actually is who says he is and isn’t, the consummate outsider. And never more so than on this release, 3 Pears, an album that rolls across your stereo like you’re reliving the British invasion, is that more evident.

If you’re a fan of straight ahead country music, especially of todays ilk, then 3 Pears will probably not be for you. But if you’re willing to look a bit deeper, and hear the ringing jangling pop songs co-produced by Beck, or consider that the album title and song was taken from the documentary on George Harrison, Living In The Material World, where you’ll see John Lennon fooling around with three pairs of glasses, or that Yoakam has always shrugged off his country market category, delivering honky tonk mixed with Nirvana inspired deliveries, and pop songs that will ring in your head ... then this outing may just be for you. After all, this is the man who discovered his back to basics calling in Los Angeles of all places, back in the mid 1980’s, the last bastioned thrown of America’s Punk movement.

If anything, 3 Pears is Dwight Yoakam letting his freak flag fly, perhaps bitter that he’s never received praises equal to the likes of Ryan Bingham, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, or that Toy Story cowboy Garth Brooks, but never the less, surfacing with yet another solid body of work that’s sure to go unnoticed by the greater masses. And truth be told, I doubt he’d have it any other way.

Review by Jenell Kesler
on October 4, 2012
The title track of 3 Pears makes me want to load all my high school girlfriends into a convertible and head down to the Florida Panhandle to work on our tans. (That'll be tough to pull off, given that we're looking at our forties in the rearview mirror, and it's only a matter of time before some of us are answering to "Nonna.") This terrific new CD from Dwight Yoakam is retro in the sense that it harkens back to the un-programed radio of the sixties and seventies, when it was entirely possible--and not even unusual--to hear the Rolling Stones and Johnny Cash on the same station. Refusing to slide neatly into a country or rock category, this music insists, instead, on just being flat-out wonderful. You'll hear hints of the Beatles and Creedence Clearwater Revival and even early Springsteen, but all of those sounds have been run through the Dwight-O-Lator, so they come out sounding fresh and original. The CD includes two versions of the beautiful "Long Way to Go." (And if you're lucky enough to own dwightyoakamacoustic.net, you know he has a gift for completely transforming a song so that the acoustic version is far more than just a stripped-down version of the original.) "Waterfall" is quirky, catchy, and--here's what might be a Yoakam first--whimsical, with clever wordplay that makes it interesting and fun. The songwriting overall is impressive, as in "Take Hold of My Hand" ("And trust for a heart is a hard thing to find/But what's left of yours might help to heal mine"). The range of emotion, from heartbreak and regret to cautious optimism, gives you something to think about while you enjoy the music. And then there's that phenomenal voice. I would listen to Dwight Yoakam sing the instruction manual to my turkey roaster--but these songs are WAY better.
on June 22, 2013
I bought the album. I listened to it a couple times. I went to write this review. I read all the amazing reviews. I second-guessed myself. With all these amazing reviews, I must be missing something. I listened to the album another 5 times.

It's not bad. It sounds good. In fact, the songs are expertly crafted, perfectly executed, and polished till they shine. It's just got too much pop in it to seem all that genuine on the whole. And it isn't just the pop influences (though they certainly distract); much of the album is pretty goofy. I mean, if you thought "Pocket of a Clown" from 5 or 6 albums ago or the previous album's "Intentional Heartache" were goofy songsyou haven't listened to track #2, "Waterfall", which I can only explain by saying that Mr. Yoakam must have been really, really high when he wrote that and Beck will sign off on anything.

It's still a pleasant listen but not really a keeper. In contrast, the previous album (Blame the Vain) is a much more interesting, engaging, and memorable set of songs.

Looking forward to his next album...
on November 29, 2015
Dwight strikes again! I think Dwight is one artist who has never put out a stinker of an album that I can remember, and I do have them all. One of the few artists who ALWAYS delivers great songs and it's nice to see a true Country artist still thriving today, compared to the crap Pop/Rock/Country or whatever the hell it is that's been coming out of Nashville the past several years about tailgatin', drinking beers, and chasing "Country" girlz. Yuck.
on September 19, 2012
Song by song.

1 Take Hold of my Hand - Nice start to the cd pretty typical Dwight.

2. Waterfall - Intersting lyrics... paints a nice picture mentally. A bit off the normal, won't be hearing this on the raido.

3. Dim Lights, Thick Smoke - Great honky tonk rocker! Love it! This should be on the radio!

4. Trying - nice ballad, defiantly radio friendly.

5. Nothing But Love - Very Beatle sounding into. Nice sound to this song, rockish country.

6. It's Never Alright - I really like this ballad! Very soulful.

7. A Heart Like Mine - Jingle Jangle country song. Nice 50's sounding Rockabilly song.

8. Long Way To Go - Great song.....just typical Dwight.

9. Missing Heart - Very nice ballad. Nice feel to this song. Like the guitar solo in its simplicity.

10. 3 Pears - I get it, very good lyrics. Nice title track.

11. Rock It All Away - WOW the bass groove to this one is awesome. Midtempo rocker which suits Dwight's voice perfectly. Great guitar work on this one to. The harmony spot on this one is really a nice touch to this. Easily my favorite song on the cd!

12. Long Way To Go (Reprise) - Ahhh.. A piano version of the song. This is great! Always loved acoustic song versions and this is Dwight and a piano. VERY Nice end to the cd.

I give Dwight a A+ on this one. Worth the wait after all the time between the last one. While a lot of it is too country or too rock to play on country radio it should be given a chance.

Dwight defiantly marches to the beat of a different drummer, but for the ones of us that march to that different drummer that is a great thing.
on October 2, 2013
I have always been a Dwight Yoakam fan, but to be honest I have lost track of him musically in recent years. I had the pleasure of seeing him in concert back in the 90's at the height of his popularity and thought he was simply fantastic. He recently came to my home town again for a concert at a small venue. It has always been my mom's dream to see him in concert so I immediately ordered the best tickets available. Within the first few moments of the concert I was immediately reminded of his incredible talent, he simply blew me away. The abilities of this man are just unbelievable. Sadly, I had not been exposed to 3 Pears at this time but he sang many of the songs that night and I truly embraced them. I immediately bought 3 Pears after the concert and have been listening to it non-stop ever since. Yes, this album is a bit different from his other music, but that is exactly what I like about it. It's still Dwight, but a fresh sound, a new perspective and as always, very creative songwriting. I highly recommend!
on December 14, 2013
Great country music. I say that but really what makes it great is its not just country but great American music. I like some country musc but I'm defiinitely more a rock and blues fan. That's why I like Dwight, he is very unique and almost kinda rebellious against what is country music . Especially these days.
For the record I like more of the older country music like Johnny cash or Waylon Jennings.