Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 3-Year Service Plan for Digital and Film Cameras
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Back to School

on August 21, 2009
UPDATE August 28th

I called and got a wonderfully helpful woman on the phone. She promised she would find out how things were going and she did. They were just slowed down because so many people were on vacation. My camera was finished the next week and retuned very quickly. It works great. I am impressed.

August 23th
I am getting quite nervous about how MackCamera is going to perform. I sent my video camera in on July 23rd and now, 21 business days later it, according to their online repair status, is still "waiting in line for a technician." Their web lists the estimated time for repair at 10 to 15 business days.

I've seen a lot of horror stories in forums about them and have emailed for a true status check. So far, a week later, no reply. I have now left a voice mail message and sent another email (August 21). I have tried to get a human on the phone, but so far no luck.

Shaking in San Diego.

Alex Farnsley
[...]
on April 23, 2007
It's hard to tell if this is a good deal or not since I haven't had to use it. If or when I do have to use it I will review that experience at that time.
on March 16, 2006
Forget extended warranties. You can get an "all peril" personal articles insurance policy from State Farm for about $30 a year that covers your camera if it is lost, stolen, rained on, dropped, left on a bus, eaten by the family dog, whatever. Other insurance companies probably offer the same thing. I have all of my camera equipment (video, digital, stills, tripods, accessories, etc.) and laptop computer covered on one of these for $30 per year. They'll pay to fix or if it can't be fixed, to replace with "like kind and quality".
on March 13, 2006
After buying several Mack warranties, I finally had a Nikon fail. They said there was physical abuse. I asked them exactly what they were talking about, as the camera had always been in a foam case, and was perfect, just locked up when turned on. They did not respond. After several unanswered phone calls and letters, I told them to send it back. They never did.

They are weasels!

Search Google for "Mack Warranty" and get other opinions before you buy. Way too many people have been ripped off by them. I expect sleazy dealers to sell them, but cannot understand why seemingly reputable stores continue to sell them.
on November 15, 2005
I looked at this website just a few days ago and I don't remember seeing the Terms & Conditions link. (I think AMAZON just added it recently.)

As for the small print, on the bottom of the first page and continued on the second, these terms specifically state that the following is not covered: "DAMAGE FROM ACCIDENT, ABUSE, MISUSE, INTRODUCTION OF FOREIGN OBJECTS INTO THE PRODUCT, UNAUTHORIZED PRODUCT MODIFICATIONS OR ALTERATIONS;". So if you accidentally drop it, you are out of luck. This statement also contradicts the Coverage Comparison Chart above where it says it will cover "Failures caused by environmental factors, such as heat, dust, and humidity". Seems that "dust" would constitute "INTRODUCTION OF FOREIGN OBJECTS INTO THE PRODUCT." I wouldn't be surprised if a heat or humidity failure would be blamed on the owner as abuse, which is not covered by the Terms & Conditions.

As for the comparison to Ritz Camera, that site offers an extended warranty by the same company, NEW. A one-year policy at Ritz for cameras under $699 costs you $108. This Amazon policy costs $89.99 for three years and for any camera over $300. But the terms are different in that the statement about accidents and such is not included in the basic policy offered by Ritz. (At least their basic policy. The Florida and New York versions have the same statement against accidents, abuse, etc. as this Amazon policy.)

This policy offered by Amazon sounds just like many offered by other companies at comparable prices. All it seems to do is to extend the warranty for defects in the manufacturing process. Take a look at the Comparison Chart above. All of the covered failures or damages (except maybe the dust option which I mentioned earlier) would only likely occur if there were a manufacturing defect. You would think a manufacturing defect would show in the first year.

The Ritz Camera policy provides different coverage (not necessarily better) that a person may or may not want. If you think there is a good chance of accidental damage, then you might think it is good insurance. Otherwise, live on the wild side,take a chance, and save a few bucks.
on November 15, 2005
A link for the terms and conditions for all of the Service Contracts are right above the reviews. Everyone can review them prior to purchasing the contract. If you can't find them, you're blind!!
on October 27, 2005
If there are no terms and conditions to view before you purchace this "service plan" they can pretty much pick and choose when and who they will assist, if they do at all. I just bought a Canon Powershot S80 and called the phone # provided for information regarding this service plan and to put it nicely I will say that I was irritated just from talking with their Q&A person. I dont even want to imagine what they would have put me through if I was trying to have my camera fixed. When I was talking to their Q&A person, he who sounded annoyed with me at best. I asked some "What If?" questions... For instance, I said, "What If my camera got rained on?" I phrased it that was intentionally. He retorted with "Well, it depends if it was "wear and tear" or "abuse". The person then went on to say something to the effect of "I dont know who would be the person that would determine whether or not it was wear and tear, but I cant tell you." Wow, thats a great help... CLICK

I would rather keep my 80$, it sounds like a loosely organized scam.

If you are thinking about getting this "Parts and services" plan, just flush your 80$ down the toilet, at least that way you get to see it spin around a few times.

Thanks for reading,

Matt
on September 13, 2005
Whan I originally sent in feedback for this service plan, I had not received any information on it. It seemed like almost within seconds of finishing the feedback,I received a response from customer service. They gave me all the information that I needed for the service plan. Great customer support!
on July 16, 2005
I agree with the previous review. I'm a firm believer in extended warranties, but if you can't find the terms, you can't trust them. My mother always said, "you get what you paid for", and the extended warranty on Ritz' own website is about 3 times this cost - but you know what you're getting and it's quality service. Skip buying thru a 3rd party and get the real deal from Ritz or Wolf directly. Better yet, take their web page into a brick & mortar store - they'll match the pricing and the store gets the credit for the sale.
0Comment| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2005
I was looking for an extended warranty for my Canon Powershot G6 and saw this item listed in Amazon "accessories."

Under product details they say, "Your product will be repaired if it breaks within three years of the date of purchase, subject to certain terms and conditions."

I could not find the Terms and Conditions online. I called them and spoke to a customer service representative and a supervisor (Donald). I was told THEY CANNOT PROVIDE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS IN WRITING BEFORE YOU PURCHASE THE PRODUCT.

They'll TALK to you about them, but that's it.

It's disappointing that Amazon would hook up with a company that refuses to disclose the details of the contract they are selling.

If anyone knows of a reputable 3rd party warranty company for digital cameras, please post. I usually don't buy them, but . . .

Gary Price
11 comment| 228 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse