Lyft Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 55 reviews
on March 24, 2017
Love it! Tells you exactly what stars are out for every night of the year with a picture & tells the story about them. Is definitely a keepsake book & well worth the money! Very easy to read & understand my grandchildren will love it cuz now I can show them what they'll be looking for in the sky with this book before they look through my telescope when I teach them about star gazing this summer.
on December 2, 2014
This is my favorite of the hundred astronomy books I've owned at one time or another. I've gifted it to every niece and nephew and have a hard time keeping it stocked in my classroom. A great calendar-based telling of what's "out there," what evidence led us to those conclusions, the people who made those discoveries, and the ancient stories that show how much our place in the universe matters to the human psyche. It reminds me of Isaac Asimov's Encyclopedia of Science and Technology, another favorite for telling stories about science and scientists.

The astronomy content is high school level at times, but it is written accessibly to the fifth grader throughout. This is a great book for people just getting started and for physics majors alike. The calendar organization makes it fun to read or to pick up for 5 minutes here and there but it makes for a terrible reference. The book needs and lacks an index. Even so, it eeks out a narrow win as my first recommendation for anyone interested in the sky. Something containing color photos and more thorough star maps is a close second. But those are a dime a dozen. This book is unique, a perfect blend of story telling, history, and mind blowing, VERY WELL EXPLAINED science.
on March 13, 2013
We first spotted this at the Cape Canaveral bookstore and later purchased it to use as a text for our 14-year old's homeschool astronomy.

1. The best aspect of this book is how closely it ties "astronomy facts" (like star magnitude/sequence/size/age/etc) into what we see in the sky that night. For example, an explanation of star clusters appears while we're looking at the constellation Taurus, because that's where the Pleiades and Hyades are. A discussion of stellar distances appears when we look at Sirius and wonder why it's so bright, and so on. To us, at least, that makes the "astronomy facts" much more interesting and relevant.

2. It strikes a nice balance between the "let's look at constellations!" style and the college textbook of facts style that so many astronomy books struggle with. It starts out very simply, and maintains a easy reading style throughout, but also contains complex facts, like the analysis of light curves (the same sort of thing I see posted on the wall in the astronomy department at the university where I work).

3. [non-homeschoolers can skip this part] We like the day-by-day format. 10-15 minutes to read and prepare, 15 minutes to go outside and look at the sky, and 5-10 minutes to write up the day's observations afterwards. Do that 3-4 nights a week for a year and you've got a high school science lab credit. Super easy to do at night with a teenager that doesn't want to go to bed but doesn't want to get out the math book at 10 PM. Also, since it's at night, its a homeschool subject that working Dads can take the lead on. The only problem of the book's format is cloudy days. When that happens, we have to figure out which skipped days were important, which to review, that sort of thing.
on February 19, 2013
This is a most interesting book. It has a reading for each day of the year and talks about the stars that are currently visible at that time in the Northern Hemisphere. It gives facts, history and also intriguing legends about the stars, such as that of Sirius and its companion, Sirius B and how did ancient cultures in Africa know about Sirius B long before it was "discovered" in Europe after the invention of the telescope. The author also poses many interesting theories and questions about the distant past of astronomical events. It would also be a good place for aspiring amateur astronomers to begin as it helps you become well-oriented so that you can easily identify what you are seeing in the night sky. Well worth reading, in my opinion. I am enjoying it tremendously.
on December 23, 2011
After joining the local astronomy club, one of its long term members mentioned 365 Starry Nights with a joke on the end about there not being that many here in Iowa, but still this is a wonderful book for beginners like me and my guy. We've been long time followers of the late, great Jack Horkheimer's Stargazer PBS series that taught us all about being a 'naked eye' astronomer in such a wonderful and funny way with little stories and easy to understand instructions via the 5 minute show every Saturday evening from 10:55-11:00pm CST on IPTV. But seeing it for real is the difference and 365 Starry Nights provides a wonderful set of instructions for finding constellations, planets and annual celestial events quite simply.

We're now saving up for astronomical binoculars and/or a good personal telescope, in the meantime, we'll view from the local observator and just keep looking up ;-) I'd recommend this book to beginners to experts alike!!
on April 9, 2012
The Sonoma County Astronomical Society (SCAS), California has an annual program, whereby they give away several decent quality 6" telescopes to children in the county's schools. This program (STRIKING SPARKS) is now in its 27th year. Along with the telescopes, we also include a "goodie bag" with tools and accessories to help the nascent astronomer learn how to use his/her telescope. 365 STARRY NIGHTS is part of that goodie bag. It is one of two beginning astronomy books (the other is Terence Dickinson's NIGHTWATCH) that I recommend to anyone who asks me about getting started as an amateur astronomer. I am a retired secondary school science teacher and an active member of SCAS and two other astronomy organizations. More about the STRIKING SPARKS telescope give away program go to [...]
on July 30, 2006
I have been in amateur astronomy for 17 years. "365" was one of my first books, and the one I purchase for friends who are clueless about the night sky. A wonderful introduction for the novice, or review for the experienced. Read it through and you'll be ready to give a planetarium show under the stars (or even in a planetarium). Its greatest shortcoming is the lack of an index, for which I remove one "star" from the rating. As planets are the "wanderers," you'll go elsewhere to find and study them (several web sites can help, or the astronomy magazines). The hand-drawn star charts in the book certainly suffice for learning the night sky. Again, the astronomy magazines are helpful in containing current charts for the season.

The book is not meant to read one night at a time, but in general guides you to what is a fun aspect of amateur astronomy: that the sky provides a calendar, a sense of changing seasons. This is the strength of the book: why your view of the sky changes over time, that is, over the course of the night and over the course of days to months, and changes with your location on earth. Raymo's writing is spectacular: his feet on Earth, his head in the universe!
on February 21, 2016
Excellent resource for anyone with a casual interest in astronomy and the night sky. Short vignettes take you through the year day by day and before you know it you're an expert. Informative and entertaining. Some material may be outdated due to progress of science, but this does not detract from the value of the book.
on August 28, 2016