Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 215 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 234 reviews
on August 4, 2015
It's an extremely high-grade UV filter. If you're using a cheaper filter, you probably wouldn't notice a difference in image quality vs. the B+W to be honest. If you've got weird flare issues, this filter may be ever so slightly less prone to flare VS the cheapo filters, but honestly this is a nice filter, not some kind of black magic. It will still flare under some circumstances, and if you think you're seeing better images with a clear B+W filter mounted, you probably should get your eyes checked before you claim this filter is somehow that much "better." I'm a freelance photographer with 15 years' experience, and over the years I've used every filter brand imaginable, and I can tell you that the best cure for flaring with a UV filter mounted is to shoot without a filter. Because otherwise the laws of physics will always win, and a piece of glass in front of your lens will always be just another piece of glass.

The B+W coatings clean better with microfiber cloths or even your t-shirt, and are a lot less streaky/temperamental than the cheapo filters when you're cleaning them (improperly cleaned cheapo filters will flare more, and since the cheapo filters are harder to clean, yeah no duh they will flare more). The B+Ws also last considerably longer, cheaper Marumi or other brand filters seem to be more prone to having their coatings flake off after a few years, whereas the B+W will look the same as new after that amount of time. This is why I buy B+W, because otherwise when it's clean, it's just a clear piece of glass like any other...

My 5 cents'.
on February 16, 2013
When people get super worked up over their UV filters I get upset, it's most likely only their to protect your lens and there is no reason to over think it. If you buy a cheapo filter, expect flare and chromatic aberration. CMOS sensors are sensitive to UV and often use it to determine WB and color profiles, so filtering it out will have some effect in that regard. Shooting RAW and adjusting in post is a better option anyway. This problem will exist wether you buy a $150 cokin, or a $20 tiffen.
B+W on the other hand are a good, mid-range price filter with low aberration, and a small enough profile on the lens. In Macro work, I take the filter off, simply because their is no need for it, and it helps my d7000 focus. Regardless of B+W's large thread ring profile, the glass is quite thin, and produced minimal flare. Theyre easy to clean and a great touch of protection for your lens.

Check out their X-Pro line as well, especially if you shoot outdoors a lot.
on December 24, 2012
This is a great filter for protecting your lens and also getting rid of some flare. During the daytime you get no ghosting or artifacts. It's construction is also really great and the filter is just durable in general. It has a metal ring, which is great compared to some of the cheap filters that have plastic rings. It makes it feel expensive and nice, even though it isn't as expensive as some of the filters with MRC and other coatings. As for the actual glass, I've found that it will scratch at times, but is relatively durable. I've used it in sandy environments and it hasn't scratched as much as other cheaper filters. If you are going to need it to be more durable I would probably go for the same B+W filter, but with the MRC coating.

The only real issue that I have had with this filter is that it creates some ghosting at night when there are street lights in the frame, and the filter with the MRC coating really does a good job of preventing this. This is the only flaw that I have found in this filter and is the reason why I am giving it four stars.

I would highly recommend getting a filter for all of your lenses, not even because of the flare that it will reduce, but because of the protection that it adds to your lenses. If there's a rock or something that suddenly flies at your camera, or even if you are just in a wet, sandy, or windy environment, it'll be better for it to damage a $20 filter rather than a lens that costs hundreds of dollars.

Also, I'd highly recommend avoiding cheaper Tiffen and Bower filters because they are not of good optical quality and will noticeable reduce the quality of your image. B+W is a great brand and I would highly recommend their filters, especially those with MRC coatings.
on November 22, 2013
Anyone who purchased B+W knows that it is one of the top brands out there when it comes to filters. This UV filter does the job perfectly. It protects the front element of the lens while maintaining excellent image quality. I have dropped my lens several times and this UV filter protected it completely. The filter does not get stuck like other filters and it is easy to remove if needed. However, it remains in place when needed. With some filters, over tightening causes the filter to become stuck to the lens and it's a pain to remove.

Highly recommend this!
on November 9, 2011
I have been a user of the cheap Tiffen filters. When I bought my first over $500 lens, decided to try something better. B+W was an obvious choice from reviews and how correct they are. When I opened the box and took the filter in my hands, for a moment I thought that the filter just had the ring and didn't have the glass. The glass was that clear.

I must say that being single coated, I do get the occasional glare. Should try out the multi coated one for my next lens.

In short, if you are buying a good lens, don't spoil it with a bad filter on the front.
on January 25, 2011
In my experience, neither the photographer nor the audience can tell much- and most times any- difference between a picture taken with a UV filter v. one taken without. Why then would I give this product a 5-star review then?

Simple. I added this lens filter on to my Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 12.1MP Micro Four-Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with LUMIX G 20mm f/1.7 Aspherical Lens in order to protect the lens.

In that vein, and for the purpose that I purchased this lens for- I graded the lens on two categories: durability / build quality and the transparency of the lens.

So, for durability, this product get 5 stars. It's well-built, and it's got a very solid feel in the hand. It makes a very subtle but nonetheless noticeable difference in the weight of your camera, so if you're looking to minimize camera weight, this may not be the lens for you. If you're looking to protect the investment in your hard-earned camera lens at any cost, however, this is definitely for you. Also, the lens cap on the Lumix will still fit on the filter, which gives the filter props.

Secondly- this product gets 5 stars for lens transparency and the way it doesn't get in the way of the pictures you want to take. The only difference in pictures taken with the lens is that it doesn't appear to prevent lens flare- or perhaps it adds to it. I personally love the effect of lens flare- particularly during sunsets and sunrises, and with a wide open aperture. Asides from the lens flare- which due to personal preference I consider a boon rather than a detriment- though, there is no other difference in image quality that I have noticed.

In short- this filter is the strong, silent type. It feels like it could take a beating while leaving the camera lens immaculate, and it does so invisibly. It's everything that I could want in a filter, and as such it never leaves my camera.
on May 29, 2017
I like this filter because it cleans really easy compared to others in its price point. Two pieces of lens paper and a couple drops of fluid does the job in a jiff.
on June 3, 2014
I really cannot say that his filter is worth two to ten times what other similar filters are worth, but it is very clear and substantially heavier than some other brands. It certainly isn't going to hurt to have this filter, and based on what others have said about the quality, I believed them.
on February 17, 2014
I find that B&W Lens Filters are My Favorite to use on all of My Camera Lenses ! Their Use enhance My Pictures in Terms of Lens Flare and more seriously , to positively Protect These very Expensive Photographic Tools , which are Serious Investments in My Hobby Pursuits ! Cost is relative of course , but I choose B&W every time ! R E Keay
on July 1, 2015
Simply the best filet in the world at a great price. I bought a Tamron 150-600 mm lens and decided not to skimp on a cheap filter,boy was i ever glad i didn't! This filter pulls the nice blues out of the sky and madness for a super sharp, tack sharp picture everytime! Also since it also protects your lens glass, you dont have to worry about scratching you're expensive lens. If you have an expensive lens and want the best pic quality and protection, spend the money and get this filter and you will be so glad you did.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.