|Manufacturer||3M AAD Consumer (Domestic)|
|Item Weight||4.5 ounces|
|Product Dimensions||3.7 x 3 x 5.5 inches|
|Item model number||39084|
|Is Discontinued By Manufacturer||No|
|Manufacturer Part Number||39084|
|Cover Included||3M Headlight Restoration Kit|
|Mirror Lighting Type||Automotive-exterior-headlight-bulbs|
3M Headlight Restoration Kit, Simple Process to Restore Cloudy & Dull Headlights, Hand Application, 1 Kit (39084)
|Price:||FREE Shipping on your first order. Details & FREE Returns|
|You Save:||$6.08 (26%)|
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- For use on headlights, taillights, fog, and directional lights
- Kit contains sanding discs and polishing pad with compound
- Saves 100s versus purchasing a new headlight
- Improves the appearance of a car - with "like new" headlights
- Restores cloudy and dull lenses
- Fit Type: Vehicle Specific
- No power tools needed, so it can be completed easily by hand
Frequently bought together
Featured items you may like
More items to explore
Compare with similar items
3M Headlight Lens Restoration System, 39008
Meguiar's Headlight Restore 2step
CERAKOTE Ceramic Headlight Restoration Kit – 3 Easy Steps - No Power Tools Required – Brings Headlights Back to Like New Condition - Guaranteed to Last As Long As You Own Your Vehicle
Meguiar's G17804 Keep Clear Headlight Coating, 4 oz. – Maintain the Clarity of Your Headlights
|Shipping||FREE Shipping on your first order. Details||FREE Shipping on your first order. Details||FREE Shipping on your first order. Details||FREE Shipping on your first order. Details||FREE Shipping on your first order. Details|
|Size||Medium Duty Headlight Restoration Kit||Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit||Two Step||1 VEHICLE KIT||Keep Clear|
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question may be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who purchased this item, who are all part of the Amazon community.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
A 5 step process that restores the clarity of yellowed, hazy, or dull headlight lenses. 3M Headlight Restoration Kit contains sanding discs and polishing pad with compound. No tools required. This kit can be used on trailers, snowmobiles, emergency vehicle light bars, plastic motorcycle light and other plastic lenses. It will help to improve nighttime visibility and appearance of vehicle.
From the manufacturer
3M Headlight Restoration Kit
- Kits contain masking tape, light sanding discs, wax protectant and more
- For use on plastic lenses – headlights, taillights, fog lights, directional lights and more
- 3M abrasive technology removes yellowing and buildup without damaging plastic lens surface
This 3M Headlight Lens Restoration Kit is a collection of professional-grade products assembled specifically for removing the cloudy, yellowed haze that builds up on automotive headlight lenses. Kits use a system of light abrasives to keep vehicles looking great and save money vs. replacing expensive lenses. They include complete directions, 3M Trizact sanding discs, pads, tape and polishes.
How Does it Work?
The 3M Headlight Restoration Kit restores clear plastic lenses in a way that standard cleaners cannot. This convenient system requires just four simple steps. First, apply high-performance masking tape to the painted surfaces around the lens you are restoring (some kits include 3M Automotive Masking Tape). Use a progressive system of Trizact abrasive discs to remove yellowing, scratches, dirt, haze, and other material buildup on the plastic lens. With or without a common household drill, Hookit attachment system makes it easy – just slap the disc onto a pad, and you’re ready to go. A choice of Headlight Restoration Kits features 3M Scratch Remover or 3M Rubbing Compound to achieve maximum shine and clarity. Then, using a soft cloth, apply a light coating of 3M Synthetic Wax Protectant. Remove the masking tape, and you’re finished.
Easy to Use
- Choose a kit with no tools required, or for use with a common household drill
- Simple 4-step process lets you restore lenses in under an hour
- Save hundreds over replacing headlight lenses
Restore Your Headlights Without Replacing Them
Rather than using ineffective solvents – or spending big on new headlight lenses – you can choose a 3M Headlight Lens Restoration Kit. A complete system of light abrasives, polishes and protectants removes scratches, dirt and oxidization that can appear on your lenses, lowering your vehicle’s value and reducing safe driving visibility. You can choose a kit that lets you restore headlight lenses without tools. Or, with just a spray water bottle and a common household drill, you can use the full kit with a complete range of abrasive discs for sanding, finishing and refining to remove discoloration that can cause your headlights, tail lights, fog and directional lights to appear cloudy and yellow – for a fraction of the cost and time of buying and installing new lenses. Each kit includes everything you need to restore two headlight lenses.
About Trizact Abrasives
The abrasive in 3M Trizact abrasive discs for headlight restoration is so fine that you can sand across the plastic lenses without worrying about creating scratches or other damaging marks. 3M Trizact abrasives feature microreplication – small 3-dimensional structures are reproduced and then uniformly distributed over the surface of the disc. These patterned, precise mineral structures contain multiple layers of abrasive mineral. As the structures wear, fresh, sharp mineral is exposed. The result is that the abrasive cuts faster, stays sharper longer and allows for precise finish control – it removes the yellowing, dirt buildup and small scratches that can cause haze, without damaging the lens itself.
Why Do You Need Headlight Restoration?
Today's vehicles have a greater number of plastic components, from plastic headlight lenses to motorcycle windshields, plastic tail lights, trailer lights and more. Plastic components are great for durability and reducing overall weight, but they can yellow and haze with weather, sun and sand, limiting visibility and diminishing the appearance and value of the vehicle. While the impact on a vehicle's value varies, the dangers in terms of limited visibility are clear: It is a factor in 2.8 million accidents, 23,000 fatal crashes and 2,300 pedestrian deaths each year, according to the Motor Vehicle Lighting Council. Dim headlight bulbs and hazy plastic headlight lenses or surfaces may lead to this reduced visibility, putting you, your passengers and other cars at risk. The AAIA Car Care Council found that 26 percent of the cars it inspected had issues with their lighting system. Millions of cars on the road today have plastic headlight lenses. The problem increases with the age of the lens, and with the average age of cars on the road about 10 years old, the problem is growing. That is why it is important to correct hazy, dull headlights.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Directions were easy to follow. (Almost had too many directions since it outlines every little step.)
The two things I was upset about and that made me leave a 4 star review instead of 5 are:
1. The hook & loop sanding pads were very small. I thought I was going to be able to use them on my sander, but when I opened the package, they were very small.(3")
2. The compound is in a tear package instead of a resealable tube. So once you open it, it's as good as gone unless you are doing more headlight restorations very soon.
On the plus side, it took me about 10 minutes per headlight from start to finish. Everything went very smoothly. If it weren't so humid outside, I wouldn't have even broken a sweat.
If you can follow directions, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this product. There are more out there, but this is the first I have tried and I was pleased with the effort required and the results.
As long as the headlights on not damaged on the inside of the lens, this process will sand off the oxidation and the scratches and produce lenses that look 90% new. However, the sanding process removes the UV protection. This means that the headlights will become foggy again much quicker without this protection. We have discovered a simple process that will extend the time before the headlights become foggy. Once you have finished sanding and cleaning the lenses and have them looking great, follow these steps.
Fold a Blue Shop Towel into a small square. Dip it in Mineral Spirits and squeeze out excess. Wipe a thin coat of Mineral Spirits on headlights with horizontal strokes.
Now dip another Blue Shop Towel in ½ Hellsman Indoor/Outdoor Clear Gloss Spar Urethane and ½ Mineral Spirits. Squeeze out excess. Using horizontal strokes, work overlapping coats of sealer onto lens. Don't drive for 30 minutes. This provides some great UV protection.
Here are all of the steps we have used with great success in restoring headlights:
STEPS FOR HEADLIGHT RESTORATION
1. Prop up hood
2. Put on mask and eye protection
3. Tape around headlights with two or three layers of paint tape
4. Clean headlights with Windex
5. Sand headlights with 500 grit sandpaper (brown) on drill. Don't stay in one spot for too long
6. Wipe off residue
7. Check to make sure tape is still good
8. Sand headlights with 800 grit sandpaper (white) on drill
9. Wipe off residue
10. Spray headlights with water
11. Wet sand with 1500 grit sandpaper on drill (this is the one you need to buy separately because it does not come with the kit)
12. Wet sand headlights with 3000 grit sandpaper (gray) on drill
13. Wipe off residue
14. Put dime size amount of Meguire's Compound on polishing pad on drill. Smooth compound around the headlight before turning on the drill. Polish the headlights to help remove remaining scratches.
15. Wipe headlights with cloth and Windex
16. Keep tape on, but clean around headlights to remove any splatters
17. Put on latex gloves
18. Dip Blue towel in Mineral Spirits and squeeze out excess. Put thin coat of Mineral Spirits on headlights.
19. Dip Blue towel in ½ Urethyne and ½ Mineral Spirits. Squeeze out excess. Using horizontal strokes, work overlapping coats of sealer onto lens. Minimize dust. No driving for 30 minutes.
20. Remove tape
The front of the lens was cloudy with yellowing before I started and light diffusion was inadequate. I would rate the lens at a 3/10 with 1/10 being useless.
The proses took about an hour for me and now I would rate the finish at a 8/10. If I had spent more time I could have gotten it to a 9/10 but I was getting tired of doing it.
I give the kit a 5 star for price. I did order a polishing wheel for my drill that was $10 that I will come back and compound and polish later to get it to a 10/10.
You can do 2+ sets of auto headlights with this kit.
Note: The finish you get will be directly relate to the time you give the process. Also you will need a coating to protect the lenses and you will need to reapply as often as the product recommends. I have an apple calendar event every quarter that reminds me to do this now along with changing my HVAC filters in my home and some other honey-do items.