Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 3M Ultrathon Insect Repellent Lotion, 2-Ounce
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Size Name: 1 Pack|Change
Price:$6.71+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on August 6, 2008
I went to Thailand and was terrified of mosquitoes, since my friends said they got eaten up by them. I used this product and I didn't get bit anywhere, except where I didn't apply, like my face, ears, and behind my knees and elbows. It worked great wherever it was applied. My friend who used Off spray got bit even if he used the product. The product does leave a slight waxy film on you after application, but it seems that all deet products leave some film and it's something you have to get used to if you want to protect yourself from mosquito bites. I get welts from mosquito bites and would rather tolerate the waxy feel than the bites.
33 comments| 232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2007
I just spent 10 summer days hiking and geocaching on the Kenai in Alaska and despite CLOUDS of mosquitos and blackflies I literally only had one bite and that was on the back of my hand after washing with soap.There is no way to overstate how good this stuff is
on March 17, 2011
So we had just taken a trip to the Peruvian Amazon Rainforest and needless to say there were a lot of mosquitoes there. The stuff works as long as you dont sweat. As soon as you start sweating the deet stops working. But thats the case with any Deet product. This stuff is greasy and i put it on my face and surprisingly I didnt break out from it. However I would get this and also make sure to get a permethrin clothes spray as well bc the mosquitoes will go through all clothing and sit there too! I think this stuff works well just like any other deet product but just make sure u also get the spray for your clothes as well!
0Comment| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2009
Camped at a natural spring in Florida, didn't get bit once after applying it. Florida, even in springtime, is hot and humid, even at night, and the mosquitoes are about the size of a penny with angles like a stealth fighter jet. That, coupled with the gnats and miscellaneous other insects, makes for a very uncomfortable camping trip if you aren't prepared.

Some people may be weary of putting it near their eyes, but when they say it's splash and sweat resistant, they mean it. I put it on above my eyebrows and directly below my eyelids, and didn't get any in my eyes at all, and trust me, while we were out finding firewood at 10pm-2am (yes we're a little on the adventurous side), I was sweating like nobody's business. This stuff hung in like a champ.

In comparison, my brother was using Off spray (can't remember which kind), and had to keep reapplying it almost every hour, and was still getting bit. I offered him mine, but he's "a man", and "don't take no charity from nobody."

Also, the tube may look a bit small, but you don't need much of it. Even with a thin coat on, it keeps the bugs away.
66 comments| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2010
I used it in the rainy season of the Solomon Islands (in between the New Guinea and Australia) where it rained pretty much every day. It held up well. Just remember to put your sunscreen on first, then your bug repellant, otherwise the sunscreen's ability to keep you from sunburning will be diminished.

PROS:

Applies Easily
Very Sweat and Water Resistant

CONS:

Somewhat Small For Extended Trips (so buy multiple)

SUMMARY: Great product and definitely recommendable over any spray type bug repellant. Out of the many I've used in my trecks across the globe, this one has performed the best and has been my mainstay.
on July 2, 2009
While on an extended camping/hiking/fishing trip along Lake Superior, the black flies and mosquitoes were, bloodthirsty. We used this product works and it works well at keeping the bugs at bay, but is not for those with sensitive skin. For the product causes breakouts on face, arms and hands. While, the repellent keeps most bugs at bay, it does not work well on biting flies.
on September 16, 2008
I spent two weeks in the dengue and malaria-carrying mosquito coast of Colombia. A liberal application of Ultrathon immediately following every morning shower and a reapplication in the late afternoon kept me absolutely mosquito-bite free. In the two weeks, I barely went thru a 2oz tube, so it was well worth it. Of course, you have to minimize exposed skin with long sleeves, tucked in pants, etc, which conserves a bit of the precious Ultrathon. Permethrin treated clothing helps too.
on August 10, 2007
I wanted to sign on with my praises for this product. I am a person who travels to the Caribbean frequently and as you might know, in the tropics there are many biting insects waiting for you. Some people are prone to insect bites and some are not. I am one who any biting insect will locate. They say it is in the DNA or something emitted from the skin. Either way I have struggled with biting insects all my life. One day I decided to research products and what make me so prone to being bitten.
This product constantly raised itself to the top of all the lists of requirements necessary to be the best and most effective repellent. I purchased it and this is a testimony to the effectiveness. When I remember to apply the lotion it lasts all day. I reapply a small amount in the evenings since I usually am in the water several times during the day.

Looking for something that may not seem cost effective based on price but will do what a lot of other products promise but do not deliver.
on March 23, 2012
The one fact you want to know: 34.34% DEET!

I knocked off one star because the product page fails to actually mention this number anywhere, so I had to buy it based purely off other peoples' reviews. The number is on the actual bottle, but not in the pictures or product description.
77 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2011
I purchased several tubes of Ultrathon about a year and a half ago. The stuff works great. I've walked dozens of times in the New Jersey Pinelands and in central Florida. After a heavy coating of Ultrathon you're impervious to most bugs. The bugs are so thoroughly repelled you'll think there are none around. Even a light coating is effective but a heavy coat will work best.

A heavy coating will repel mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers. It seems to make spiders a little less aggressive. Another reviewer noted Ultrathon doesn't work well on biting flies. I've had the same experience. The flies seem to bite a little bit less but they circle so close they're still intolerable.

The only possible complaint I might have is that the stuff is so water resistant it's a bit difficult to wash off in a shower.