Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Service plan term: 4 Year|Service plan covered value: $250-300|Change
Price:$41.99+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 1,493 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,698 reviews
on November 6, 2013
Amazon listed this as "accidental & spill" damage protection, however the contract explicitly states that water damage of any kind (along with a very, very long list of other things that void the protection) voids the protection plan. In fact, the coverage is worded in such a way that pretty much everything voids the protection program.

If you don't believe me, here's an excerpt:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED: THIS SERVICE AGREEMENT DOES NOT COVER ANY LOSS, REPAIRS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY OR RESULTING
FROM: (A) PRE‐EXISTING CONDITIONS INCURRED OR KNOWN TO YOU ("PRE‐EXISTING" MEANS A CONDITION THAT WITHIN ALL
REASONABLE MECHANICAL OR ELECTRICAL PROBABILITY RELATES TO THE MECHANICAL FITNESS OF YOUR COVERED PRODUCT
PRIOR TO ISSUANCE OF THIS SERVICE AGREEMENT); (B) IMPROPER PACKAGING AND/OR TRANSPORTATION BY YOU OR YOUR
REPRESENTATIVE RESULTING IN DAMAGE DURING SHIPMENT TO A SERVICE CENTER OR RELOCATION OF THE COVERED PRODUCT;
(C) INSTALLATION, REMOVAL, REINSTALLATION OR IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF COMPONENTS, UPGRADES, ATTACHMENTS OR
PERIPHERALS; (D) PRODUCTS AND/OR COMPONENTS THAT ARE USED IN APPLICATIONS THAT REQUIRE CONTINUOUS BUSINESS
AND/OR COMMERCIAL OPERATION, OR ARE USED FOR COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL, EDUCATIONAL OR PUBLIC USE PURPOSES OR
OFFERED ON A RENTAL BASIS, OR COIN‐OPERATED PRODUCTS; (E) DAMAGE OR FAILURE CAUSED BY RIOT, NUCLEAR RADIATION,
WAR OR HOSTILE ACTION, RADIOACTIVE CONTAMINATION, ETC.; (F) DAMAGE FROM FREEZING OR OVERHEATING; (G) INADEQUATE
PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL OR GAS SERVICE; (H) INTERRUPTION OF GAS OR ELECTRICAL SERVICE; (I) NEGLECT, NEGLIGENCE, MISUSE,
ABUSE, INTENTIONAL PHYSICAL/MECHANICAL/ELECTRONIC DAMAGE, PHYSICAL DAMAGE OR MALICIOUS MISCHIEF, THEFT OR
MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE, VANDALISM, RUST, CORROSION, WARPING, BENDING, ANIMAL OR INSECT INFESTATION, ETC. TO
THE COVERED PRODUCT OR ANY COMPONENT; (J) DAMAGE OR FAILURE DUE TO CAUSES BEYOND YOUR CONTROL SUCH AS
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS, EXPOSURE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS OR ACTS OF NATURE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: FIRE,
FLOODS, SMOKE, SAND, DIRT, LIGHTNING, MOISTURE, WATER DAMAGE OF ANY KIND, WHETHER FROM FRESH WATER, SALTWATER
OR OTHER WATER INTRUSION, STORMS, WIND OR WINDSTORM, HAIL, EARTHQUAKE, OTHER EXTERNAL PERILS OF NATURE; (K)
REPAIRS NECESSITATED BY OPERATION OUTSIDE THE MANUFACTURER OPERATIONAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIFICATIONS; (L)
BATTERY FAILURE OR LEAKAGE; (M) COLLISION WITH ANOTHER OBJECT, COLLAPSE, EXPLOSION, LIQUID SPILLAGE OF ANY KIND BY
ANY OWNER, EMPLOYEE, THIRD PARTY, REPAIR PERSONNEL, ETC.,
6161 comments| 1,063 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2016
In reading over reviews of this product, I discovered that most of the 4 and 5 star reviews for it are by people who haven't used it, but are happy they have it in case they need it somewhere down the road. I have used it.
Pro: my camera was repaired to my satisfaction
Cons: it took longer than I had hoped to get it repaired
I had no idea what was happening with my camera once it left my hands.

This was bought as extra protection for a Canon Sl1 camera. This is my experience.
1. The total time it took from first making a claim by phone from my home in Louisiana to receiving the camera back from PhotoTech, a camera repair facility located in New York City was 23 days. (Dec. 7-Dec. 30, 2015)
2. I am totally happy with the work PhotoTech did. The part I made the claim for was removed and replaced with a new one, the camera was cleaned and sent back to me in like-new condition firmly sandwiched in form-fitting dense foam packaging.
3. The bottom line is that my camera was covered and repaired, so I'm satisfied. I think, though, that Warrentech, the entity that sells the SmartGuard plan, needs to improve customer service.
--From start-to-finish I had only 2 interactions with Warrentech. The first was when I spoke to a representative on the phone to make a claim. The second was in the form of an e-mail sent by them 48 hours later containing the shipping label I needed to send the camera to the repair facility. After that, there was nothing; it was as though I had dropped my camera into a black hole. I was left to wonder: did the camera arrive? was it going to be repaired? (I wasn't sure if the problem I had would even be covered); when should I expect it back? I finally called PhotoTech myself to find out what was going on.
--I don't fault the repair facility for the lack of information. I think it was--and should be--Warrentech's responsibility to provide feedback (via e-mail or text message) to the customer since it is the entity that arranges and pays for the repairs. And, at this time, anyway, it doesn't do that.
Customer service shouldn't end once a claim is received and assigned. It should continue until the covered item is repaired and returned.
on February 26, 2014
So many others have said things along the lines of "I don't know if this is good, but I'm glad I have it" - not particularly helpful...

I ended up buying it because the price was right. I found the fine print after I had purchased, and wished I had seen it before hand. It's not covered from "Acts of God" which are usually stipulated to be weather-related problems (e.g. if your house is flooded and your product is damaged, they can claim the flood was an act of god). Personally, I like my insurance policies to be atheist.

Here's what's NOT covered:
Pre-existing conditions or unauthorized repairs
Used items, floor samples, or products sold "As-Is"
Outdoor furniture
Products used in a commercial setting without a commercial plan
Damages resulting from exposure to outdoor elements
Damages from acts of nature or acts of God ******
Animal or insect infestation
Rot, rust, and mold
Theft and customer abuse or intentional damage
Other exclusions as listed in the Exclusions section of your terms and conditions
99 comments| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2013
Smart Guard "Accidental Protection" 4 years???????

Accidents are the main thing people buy these plans for, but guess what ISN'T covered? you got it......accidents. You drop it in water while hiking or climbing, too bad. You go to beach and it gets sand in it, too bad.
Get stolen at home? it will cover that, but so will my homeowner's insurance, same for my car.
So what do they cover that isn't covered by home or auto insurance (and renter's insurance if don't own home).....still trying to figure that out.
Can't believe Amazon allows this, .....folks, wait till you try to register on their website. ????????
who set up their website? a 10 year old kid down the street?
I can't get it to register my product, and I am technically proficient

scam scam scam
99 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2014
I hate complaining about a poor customer experience but I was so annoyed with my experience with this company. I purchased this plan with my NIkon Coolpix 520. I dropped the camera in February while on vacation and needed to get it repaired. The first contact explained how the process will work. They will send out a box I will send my camera back, Once it it received, the average turn around would be 3 days. My camera would be fixed or replaced. Call #2 was a couple weeks later and I was informed they never sent out a box and they'd do so straight away. Call #3 was a week after that. The box was sent, they said, they'll have to trace it. They'll initiate a trace on the box and get back to me in 1-2 days. Calls #4,5 and 6 were me following up, as I did not receive notice on what was going on. On call 6, I was told a supervisor would call me that day or the next at the latest. 3 days later I got one. Its now 6 weeks after my initial claim and Im told that they'll email me a mailing label to send it back. I'll have to go buy the packaging etc. Its now 2 weeks past then. Call #7 to check on the status of my claim. They received the camera and I'll have my check in 7-14 business days. Confused, I asked why I am not getting my camera (or a replacement coolpix 520) I was told. That was just the decision made. So I asked if they had notified me, and was told that a supervisor should have called me. I received no email, no phone call. No contact of any kind. I suppose I should be glad I am getting my full price paid, but what I wanted was the camera. Its now been roughly 9 weeks and I *should* have my reimbursement in1-2 more weeks :( I expect to have to call.
22 comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2014
After spending nearly $700 on a new digital camera I wanted to make sure I had an accident protection plan to secure my investment. So far, I'm not happy with the warranty through Smart Guard. Nothing has happened to the camera (thank god) but in trying to register my warranty, upload my proof of purchase, input the serial number and set up an account for myself/my camera. I've run into nothing but problems. The website is archaic, every link is a dead end, there's no way to sync my user acct to the camera registration. No portal to upload proof of purchase, and no prompt to input the serial number (which is one of the mandatory fields on the registration). I just emailed customer service, hopefully they'll get back to me but it seems like a waste of $50+ so far. If the set up is this painful I can't imagine what would happen if I actually tried to file a claim.

I would not say it's a user friendly process, nor do I feel "secure" with this plan, should anything happen to my very pricey camera. I'd say skip this warranty and find a better plan through the camera manufacturer or another source.
My son dropped his camera and the LCD screen was cracked. We called to get it replaced. Wg had to make 5 or 6 calls over a 3 week period before we finally got a box sent to us to ship the camera in for repair. The seller would blame the warranty people and the warranty people would say they never heard from the seller. After we sent it back and heard nothing for 2 weeks, we called and were told that they were trying to decide if they could replace the screen or if they had to just give us a new one. It took another week or so when we had to call again to be told that it would be 5 weeks before it would be fixed. Wg have had no updates ever. We have always had to call them. We will be calling again tomorrow to see if we can get an update. Such a run around. I Gus's to replace the screen if we didn't have the warranty would have cost more than what we paid for the warranty but my son has lost money on several film jobs because he has no camera. In the end, he would have made enough money on the jobs he could have been doing to pay for the screen and still make money. If you do buy this and have to make a claim, call them daily or you'll never get your merchandise back.
on November 10, 2016
I just had a very favorable experience with a four year camera accident protection plan I purchased from SmartGuard. I purchased a Canon S120 for my son, who is an avid backpacker. Knowing the camera would be taken on many camping and hiking trips I purchased SmartGuard's accident protection coverage. Sure enough, three years later the camera failed after a full summer in my son's backpack on the Pacific Crest Trail - a 2,600 mile hike from Mexico to Canada. The failure was due to electronics malfunctions, not physical damage. SmartGuard emailed me a free Fedex shipping label and then sent the camera to United Electronics Group for repair. It turns out United is a first class repair organization that apparently has a very good working relationship with Canon Camera. United couldn't work on the electronics so they sent the camera to Canon. Canon was prepared to replace it, but they no longer make the S120. So, drum roll, Canon sent me a "like new" refurbished Canon GX7.

My son is very happy with the GX7. I called SmartGuard and they advised me it would be fine to buy another four year protection plan for the "new" refurbished GX7, which came with a one year warranty from Canon.
on July 8, 2016
Here is a review/comment by someone who HAS used the warrantee – me! This really is a decent plan, you just need to READ the entire warrantee.

Many of these negative reviews leave out one very important fact - damage caused by dropping and liquid IS covered (for "normal" cameras anyways). The entire warrantee must be read, not just the portion that lists exclusions. The warrantee states that if ADH coverage is purchased (and it is included with your Amazon purchase) then damages caused by dropping and liquids, in addition to screen breakage ARE covered. It is worded in a confusing way that requires reading… then reading again… but that is legalese for you! I think most people would agree that these three types of damages are the most common types to occur and the therefore the most important to be included in a warrantee. And the fact that this warrantee DOES cover them makes the $20-$50 you’re paying for coverage worth every penny.

In May 2016 my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 was declared unrepairable by them and I received a brand new one within 2 weeks - a little slow, but I got it! Yes their communication is lacking - at times I had to send emails 2 or 3 times to get a response… And I worried about the wording in the warrantee stating that they could replace my camera with a refurbished one OR a “comparable” camera by another manufacture – they did not…. and the process took longer than I would have liked... But the end result was that they replaced my camera with a brand new camera of the same model, and I am back to photographing my dogs, flowers, and sunsets! All in all I was satisfied with the process. AND you can purchase the warrantee 90 days after purchase of item, instead of the 30 days required by Square Trade.
on July 15, 2016
I don't think I've ever left a one star review for anything on Amazon but these crappy people earned it fair and square! I just wish there was a negative 50 rating!! I just bought a nearly $800 camera 2 months ago and bought this "accident" coverage just in case. I normally take pretty good care of my stuff but life can be difficult sometimes, right? It was nearly $90 for this plan.but with this camera costing so much, I figured it was worth the extra money for that extra protection. So a few weeks after I got my brand new camera, I put it on the tripod and headed to the door to go take pictures outside. I paused and set the tripod (spread out) right at the door while I ran to the restroom really quick. All of sudden I hear all kinds of noise and came running out to find my camera slammed to the floor by my robotic vacuum cleaner toppling over the tripod! I was nearly in tears as I turned the camera off and on again to see if it still worked. Well... the display screen flickered but eventually recovered. However, the eye piece was nudged out and doesn't work anymore. So I can only take pictures by viewing the fold out display screen which doesn't quite want to close all the way now. So... what do I do? Well, naturally I file a claim with my "accidental coverage" people. This was the epitome of an accident if I ever heard of one!

so, I file the claim on line and the site behaved strangely. It gave no acknowledgement of my claim, it just changed pages. When I went back to the status page it said, "pending review". I was left wondering how I was supposed to send the camera in or what I was supposed to do next. So I called the phone number supplied in my original purchase email and explained my sad story. The lady types away while I'm telling her all this and then says, "well, this coverage is only for accidents while it's in use, so it won't be covered". I asked her if there was a 30 second rule to qualify it as "in use". She said no, just as casually serious as she could be! I don't know what "in use" is defined as but my camera was turned on and ready to go! It was 10' from taking freaking pictures! OMG! Some companies are so unbearably unethical these days and THIS company is one of them!

Need I say more about why you shouldn't waste your money on this PURE crap? I don't know how Amazon became hooked up with such a lousy company but they need to seriously reconsider because Smart Guard is way beneath them! They are totally deceptive in their advertisement of an "accidental" policy. If I had the camera in my hands when it fell they would probably have said it had to be in the middle of pressing the button in order to qualify for coverage. Or maybe they'd say if it fell out of my hands that it had to be IN my hands at the time of the accident? Pfff!!

SAVE YOUR MONEY!! Go with SquareTrade or something. They are 100 times the company this one is! I'll be glad if this review saves even one person from the misery I've experienced today!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.