Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 23, 2015
I purchased this accidental insurance policy for my GoPro which seemed like a smart decision at the time. Unlike many of the 5 star reviews where consumers purchased the above item, I actually have first hand experience of working with this company to use their accidental protection plan, and it has been thoroughly disappointing. When my GoPro stopped working after a year, I filled a claim. There was no visible damage or water damage. The camera just stopped powering on. As other reviewers have mentioned, the registration process is not straight forward or intuitive, and neither is submitting a claim. However, I was able to register my camera and file a claim successfully while verifying my contact info and address multiple times with a customer service rep through email and phone.

On 5/8/2015 I received an email from the company stating, "We have processed the claim and our resolution is to send you a check for the original price paid for the item as our form of a replacement. You should receive the check at your address within the next 10-14 business days". I was excited to hear that the plan was "working" and waited patiently for the check prior to buying a replacement camera.

I contacted the company 14 business days from the date of the email and was told by the customer service rep the check was not yet issued and that the company still had more time to fulfill their obligation. I contacted the company again on 6/23/15 - now 30 business days from the date of the check being issued - and was told that I would need to wait an additional 3 to 5 business day in order for them to "trace" the check before reissuing another. I was then told that if there were any discrepancies where "someone in my household had cashed the check" that there would be a $25 trace fee. Fortunately I have no bank accounts expect my own that will allow checks issued in my name to cashed.

My questions is why am I having to contact the company to follow up on them fulfilling their obligation for a product I paid for? The outcome of my experience has yet to be determined, but the fact that I need to push them for answers tells me they don't care about their consumers, and they don't care about putting together a good product. I would expected a higher level of professionalism where they at least pretending to care that I had yet to receive my check.

I would strongly encourage anyone considering this product to find another option. We all work hard for our money, and we should all expect a certain level of promptness, professionalism, and follow thorough on their part....at least I do.

***Update as of 9/22/15***

I did receive a check from Warrantech for the claim made. However I did not receive the check until 7/10/2015. Needless to say, it was a hassle to get the check issued and received. If you are willing to do the leg work and keep the company on task with fulfilling the original agreement, then this is the right product for you. I would never purchase this accidental plan ever again.
10 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on July 2, 2015
Don't buy from these clowns. The "plan" is sold as accident protection with the following provision:

Accidental Damage from Handling Coverage (“ADH Coverage”): if purchased and evidenced on Your sales receipt, ADH Coverage provides additional protection for Your Product against sudden and unforeseen accidental damage; provided such damage was during the course of regular use of the Product by You, and subject to the exclusions listed in the WHAT IS NOT COVERED section except for the following: repairs or damage resulting from dropping the Product, liquid, or in connection with screen breakage are covered under this ADH Coverage benefit.

When my daughter accidentally dropped her GoPro camera in the ocean after being shaken by a wave, the company claimed that you had to return the merchandise to file a claim citing the exclusion for "(f) Neglect, negligence, misuse, Abuse, vandalism, theft, or malicious mischief or disappearance." Notice the missing comma after the second "or" phrase. It's important. That means SmartGuard was using the standard insurance industry parlance for "malicious mischief or disappearance." That deals with people that intentionally hide items from an insurance company in order to fraudulently file a claim for loss. It has nothing to do with items that disappear as the result of an accident or dropping of the item (off a cliff, off a building, out of a car, in the ocean, etc). Nothing in the "plan" requires return of the merchandise in order to file a claim!

Long story short, Amazon covered the cost of the replacement with a 2 minute phone call. Hopefully, Amazon will find a more reputable provider.
8 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on April 28, 2014
I hate complaining about a poor customer experience but I was so annoyed with my experience with this company. I purchased this plan with my NIkon Coolpix 520. I dropped the camera in February while on vacation and needed to get it repaired. The first contact explained how the process will work. They will send out a box I will send my camera back, Once it it received, the average turn around would be 3 days. My camera would be fixed or replaced. Call #2 was a couple weeks later and I was informed they never sent out a box and they'd do so straight away. Call #3 was a week after that. The box was sent, they said, they'll have to trace it. They'll initiate a trace on the box and get back to me in 1-2 days. Calls #4,5 and 6 were me following up, as I did not receive notice on what was going on. On call 6, I was told a supervisor would call me that day or the next at the latest. 3 days later I got one. Its now 6 weeks after my initial claim and Im told that they'll email me a mailing label to send it back. I'll have to go buy the packaging etc. Its now 2 weeks past then. Call #7 to check on the status of my claim. They received the camera and I'll have my check in 7-14 business days. Confused, I asked why I am not getting my camera (or a replacement coolpix 520) I was told. That was just the decision made. So I asked if they had notified me, and was told that a supervisor should have called me. I received no email, no phone call. No contact of any kind. I suppose I should be glad I am getting my full price paid, but what I wanted was the camera. Its now been roughly 9 weeks and I *should* have my reimbursement in1-2 more weeks :( I expect to have to call.
122 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on March 7, 2017
I accidentally dropped my camera and pretty much destroyed it. I bought the warranty from Smart Guard. I've bought warranties like this from other companies it's in the past and got a repaired unit or new unit in a matter of a couple of weeks. Smart Guard will try to replace your item with another model, a cheaper model for them. They insisted it was their right as long as the item had the same features. I tried to explain the differences but they are either deaf or get off on screwing customers. It took 2 months for them to agree to refund my camera purchase price in the form of an Amazon gift card. I did buy the extended warranty and can proudly say was not with Smart Guard. They get 2 stars because I eventually did get something.
12 people found this helpful
on July 2, 2014
Purchased a warranty on a GoPro, the camera came with a case for mounting. The mounting unit broke, so now I can't mount it on anything to take video. My claim was denied because "the functionality of the camera is not affected."

The entire point of buying a GoPro is to mount it on something to catch an interesting point of view. Now it's broken, so the camera is worthless until I buy a new one.
17 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
on October 14, 2017
was a gift
on January 7, 2015
We are sailors and my wife just barely dipped our camera in the ocean and it was $190 to repair and then the flash went and Canon wanted another $190. That makes $50 for 5 years cheap and worth it since it covers water damage. (oBught new camera instead of second repair)
on July 14, 2016
I did not have a good result with this product.
3 people found this helpful
on June 27, 2015
Cancelled!
3 people found this helpful
on December 27, 2016
Would be great if i received the item/.
|11 comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.