Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,599 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,806 reviews
on February 13, 2017
Please for the love of god read this entire review.

I wish I could give this company negative reviews. Simply don't do it. This protection plan, and the company, Warrantech, who sells it, are not worth the time it takes to click on em. I purchased this plan for my 700.00 camera. The plan was for accidental damage. It turns out that they have a very long list of accidental damage that they don't even cover, but fortunately they did decide to cover mine. Great right!

I mailed the camera in October of 2016 and they received it on November 2. The product description on Amazon has a list of bullet points under the price, one of them saying this: "5 Day Repair Guarantee on Depot Service". You would think that would mean my camera would be fixed within five days of their receiving it right? Well two weeks expire and I start asking for updates. On November 28 I get a response, saying that it is "In line for a technician". Then I hear nothing. I make several phone calls and get the same line, and get promises that it will be looked into but get no response. By approximately December 21 it finally gets looked at by a Tech. By December 28 I get notified that they have to order parts.

It has now been two months since I mailed this camera away to a company who advertises a 5 day service guarantee.

By January 12 I get some one on the phone who tells me that they have to mail it to the manufacturer. At this point I am becoming upset as this is now hurting my productivity and reputation. They tell me that instead of mailing it to the manufacturer they can fast track getting me an Amazon gift card so I can just buy my own.

But then I hear nothing. I email them, and approximately ten days later I get a response offering me a refurbished camera. But you can't get a new protection plan on a refurbished camera. At least none I could find. I reject the offer and ask for the gift card they offered. At least a week later after several more phone calls and emails I get another response, saying they will give me a $440.00 gift card. (The camera was 700.00).

When I call the first person I speak to tells me the 440.00 is such because my plan pays out 700.00 but they have to subtract the diagnostic fees from the company who does the repair. She actually says that "I can't expect them to pay the diagnostic fee right?" Unwilling to accept this I ask for some one who I can negotiate with. A woman answers the phone and identifies herself as a supervisor. This woman then tells me that the previous woman was misinformed and that the 440.00 was due to that being their cost for a refurbished camera that was offered. I then ask her about the 5 day service guarantee. She says that it Amazon's fault. They don't offer a 5 day guarantee that it would be ridiculous for a business to offer so quick a turnaround. Those are pretty much her words.

She then puts me on hold and of course the call disconnects.

To wrap this up I make several more calls. One supervisor actually seemed reasonable, after telling me that I have to allow for depreciation of my camera... (I bought a plan for a 700.00 camera but they were saying it was now worth 440.00). I also find out that the previous woman who identified herself as a supervisor was not a supervisor at all. Go figure. I ask for the refurbished camera on condition that they also provide me with a new accidental protection plan. Incidentally when I asked her about the 5 day service guarantee she tells me that the guarantee is that they will find me a repair service within five days. Shocked I asked her to repeat herself then again asked her to confirm that it is her final stance that the five day guarantee advertised in the product description in two different places only refers to the time they have to find a repair company... She says absolutely. She promises to call me back, but never does.

The next day I get an email with the 440.00 gift card code. That was almost four months after I mailed the camera away, and at least 20-30 hours of waiting on hold or arguing with reps. I reject the card of course and email them several times telling them so.

The Smart Guard protection team's final response response is as such: "Since the replacement item offered was denied, you are sent an ecard in the amount of the replacement item. Per the terms and conditions, your plan provides replacement of your originally covered product, or at our sole, discretion, reimbursement for the cost of replacement (up to the original purchase price). Replacement products may be a new or refurbished product of equal or similar features and functionality, but not necessarily the same brand".

So there you go. If you decide to purchase this plan expect several months of waiting and lies and many hours of heart ache and disappointment only to be given half the camera's value and a bunch of contract jargon. This company will flat out not honor its "Guarantee" and will do whatever it can to avoid responsibility, from blatant lies to hanging up on you, leaving you shaking your head and frustrated.

I will never purchase their product again, and nor should you or any one else.
2121 comments| 286 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2013
Amazon listed this as "accidental & spill" damage protection, however the contract explicitly states that water damage of any kind (along with a very, very long list of other things that void the protection) voids the protection plan. In fact, the coverage is worded in such a way that pretty much everything voids the protection program.

If you don't believe me, here's an excerpt:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED: THIS SERVICE AGREEMENT DOES NOT COVER ANY LOSS, REPAIRS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY OR RESULTING
FROM: (A) PRE‐EXISTING CONDITIONS INCURRED OR KNOWN TO YOU ("PRE‐EXISTING" MEANS A CONDITION THAT WITHIN ALL
REASONABLE MECHANICAL OR ELECTRICAL PROBABILITY RELATES TO THE MECHANICAL FITNESS OF YOUR COVERED PRODUCT
PRIOR TO ISSUANCE OF THIS SERVICE AGREEMENT); (B) IMPROPER PACKAGING AND/OR TRANSPORTATION BY YOU OR YOUR
REPRESENTATIVE RESULTING IN DAMAGE DURING SHIPMENT TO A SERVICE CENTER OR RELOCATION OF THE COVERED PRODUCT;
(C) INSTALLATION, REMOVAL, REINSTALLATION OR IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF COMPONENTS, UPGRADES, ATTACHMENTS OR
PERIPHERALS; (D) PRODUCTS AND/OR COMPONENTS THAT ARE USED IN APPLICATIONS THAT REQUIRE CONTINUOUS BUSINESS
AND/OR COMMERCIAL OPERATION, OR ARE USED FOR COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL, EDUCATIONAL OR PUBLIC USE PURPOSES OR
OFFERED ON A RENTAL BASIS, OR COIN‐OPERATED PRODUCTS; (E) DAMAGE OR FAILURE CAUSED BY RIOT, NUCLEAR RADIATION,
WAR OR HOSTILE ACTION, RADIOACTIVE CONTAMINATION, ETC.; (F) DAMAGE FROM FREEZING OR OVERHEATING; (G) INADEQUATE
PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL OR GAS SERVICE; (H) INTERRUPTION OF GAS OR ELECTRICAL SERVICE; (I) NEGLECT, NEGLIGENCE, MISUSE,
ABUSE, INTENTIONAL PHYSICAL/MECHANICAL/ELECTRONIC DAMAGE, PHYSICAL DAMAGE OR MALICIOUS MISCHIEF, THEFT OR
MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE, VANDALISM, RUST, CORROSION, WARPING, BENDING, ANIMAL OR INSECT INFESTATION, ETC. TO
THE COVERED PRODUCT OR ANY COMPONENT; (J) DAMAGE OR FAILURE DUE TO CAUSES BEYOND YOUR CONTROL SUCH AS
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS, EXPOSURE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS OR ACTS OF NATURE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: FIRE,
FLOODS, SMOKE, SAND, DIRT, LIGHTNING, MOISTURE, WATER DAMAGE OF ANY KIND, WHETHER FROM FRESH WATER, SALTWATER
OR OTHER WATER INTRUSION, STORMS, WIND OR WINDSTORM, HAIL, EARTHQUAKE, OTHER EXTERNAL PERILS OF NATURE; (K)
REPAIRS NECESSITATED BY OPERATION OUTSIDE THE MANUFACTURER OPERATIONAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIFICATIONS; (L)
BATTERY FAILURE OR LEAKAGE; (M) COLLISION WITH ANOTHER OBJECT, COLLAPSE, EXPLOSION, LIQUID SPILLAGE OF ANY KIND BY
ANY OWNER, EMPLOYEE, THIRD PARTY, REPAIR PERSONNEL, ETC.,
5150+ comments| 1,249 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2016
I don't think I've ever left a one star review for anything on Amazon but these crappy people earned it fair and square! I just wish there was a negative 50 rating!! I just bought a nearly $800 camera 2 months ago and bought this "accident" coverage just in case. I normally take pretty good care of my stuff but life can be difficult sometimes, right? It was nearly $90 for this plan.but with this camera costing so much, I figured it was worth the extra money for that extra protection. So a few weeks after I got my brand new camera, I put it on the tripod and headed to the door to go take pictures outside. I paused and set the tripod (spread out) right at the door while I ran to the restroom really quick. All of sudden I hear all kinds of noise and came running out to find my camera slammed to the floor by my robotic vacuum cleaner toppling over the tripod! I was nearly in tears as I turned the camera off and on again to see if it still worked. Well... the display screen flickered but eventually recovered. However, the eye piece was nudged out and doesn't work anymore. So I can only take pictures by viewing the fold out display screen which doesn't quite want to close all the way now. So... what do I do? Well, naturally I file a claim with my "accidental coverage" people. This was the epitome of an accident if I ever heard of one!

so, I file the claim on line and the site behaved strangely. It gave no acknowledgement of my claim, it just changed pages. When I went back to the status page it said, "pending review". I was left wondering how I was supposed to send the camera in or what I was supposed to do next. So I called the phone number supplied in my original purchase email and explained my sad story. The lady types away while I'm telling her all this and then says, "well, this coverage is only for accidents while it's in use, so it won't be covered". I asked her if there was a 30 second rule to qualify it as "in use". She said no, just as casually serious as she could be! I don't know what "in use" is defined as but my camera was turned on and ready to go! It was 10' from taking freaking pictures! OMG! Some companies are so unbearably unethical these days and THIS company is one of them!

Need I say more about why you shouldn't waste your money on this PURE crap? I don't know how Amazon became hooked up with such a lousy company but they need to seriously reconsider because Smart Guard is way beneath them! They are totally deceptive in their advertisement of an "accidental" policy. If I had the camera in my hands when it fell they would probably have said it had to be in the middle of pressing the button in order to qualify for coverage. Or maybe they'd say if it fell out of my hands that it had to be IN my hands at the time of the accident? Pfff!!

SAVE YOUR MONEY!! Go with SquareTrade or something. They are 100 times the company this one is! I'll be glad if this review saves even one person from the misery I've experienced today!
33 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2016
In reading over reviews of this product, I discovered that most of the 4 and 5 star reviews for it are by people who haven't used it, but are happy they have it in case they need it somewhere down the road. I have used it.
Pro: my camera was repaired to my satisfaction
Cons: it took longer than I had hoped to get it repaired
I had no idea what was happening with my camera once it left my hands.

This was bought as extra protection for a Canon Sl1 camera. This is my experience.
1. The total time it took from first making a claim by phone from my home in Louisiana to receiving the camera back from PhotoTech, a camera repair facility located in New York City was 23 days. (Dec. 7-Dec. 30, 2015)
2. I am totally happy with the work PhotoTech did. The part I made the claim for was removed and replaced with a new one, the camera was cleaned and sent back to me in like-new condition firmly sandwiched in form-fitting dense foam packaging.
3. The bottom line is that my camera was covered and repaired, so I'm satisfied. I think, though, that Warrentech, the entity that sells the SmartGuard plan, needs to improve customer service.
--From start-to-finish I had only 2 interactions with Warrentech. The first was when I spoke to a representative on the phone to make a claim. The second was in the form of an e-mail sent by them 48 hours later containing the shipping label I needed to send the camera to the repair facility. After that, there was nothing; it was as though I had dropped my camera into a black hole. I was left to wonder: did the camera arrive? was it going to be repaired? (I wasn't sure if the problem I had would even be covered); when should I expect it back? I finally called PhotoTech myself to find out what was going on.
--I don't fault the repair facility for the lack of information. I think it was--and should be--Warrentech's responsibility to provide feedback (via e-mail or text message) to the customer since it is the entity that arranges and pays for the repairs. And, at this time, anyway, it doesn't do that.
Customer service shouldn't end once a claim is received and assigned. It should continue until the covered item is repaired and returned.
on December 8, 2014
12/8/14 I never received the email when I originally purchased the product. A year later, the camera I bought is having problems which are covered under the warranty. I called Friday to start the process, and after sitting on hold for nearly 40 minutes my call was finally taken. The guy said since I hadn't registered my product I would have to wait and have the email resent, which could take 48 hours. After I register the product I will get a pin. Then I can submit a new claim. After submitting the claim then the company that will fix it will mail me a box (which can take 3 days). Then I mail the camera in and get it repaired.

Never got the email.

I called back 3 days later and was only on hold about 2 minutes. The girl who answered apologized that I never received the email and has offered to register my product and resend the email so we can get a claim started.
on June 23, 2014
I had to find out the hard way that while Smart Guard is explicit in their policies/documents about what is NOT covered, they failed to mention 'fly-aways' which is what I unfortunately experienced with my drone. I purchased this coverage for such an emergency. Why else would Amazon suggest it when I made my order? They did not even offer to cover the camera/gimbal component of my lost drone. Yes, I was terribly disappointed. Feels like I've been scammed...and via Amazon. For years I have had reasonably good experiences on this site until now.
Pity.
77 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 30, 2014
This is more about Amazon than Smart Guard. If this review even gets posted, kudos to Amazon for allowing a negative experience to be on their site.

If you are buying a brand new product -- this review will NOT apply. I can't tell you about how about Smart Guard, because I purchased an open item product (camera) from Amazon Marketplace. Even though the camera didn't qualify -- for whatever reason, as soon as I hit the BUY button for the camera -- Amazon had the warranty pop as being recommended and asked if I want to add it to my cart. That's not going to be a problem with a brand new item, so the rest of this only applies to those buying open/refurbished/used products.

However, if you are not buying something brand new -- the quick and primary take away from my experience is:

1) if this warranty pops up when you choose to buy a product from Amazon Marketplace / refurbished / open box etc (reportedly backed by Amazon) -- this Smart Guard warranty will NOT COVER you -- unless Smart Guard has added coverage of opened items to their inventory (even then, I'd really make sure before you buy the warranty -- and I would not trust Amazon for that answer - you'd have to read the rest of the review as to why).

2) If you are buying from Amazon Marketplace, from my experience, it may it sound as if the product (in my case, a camera) was opened, but not much more than that, "only minor cosmetic issues." My camera (see below if interested) -- had an intermittent problem that could be serious (touch screen intermittently goes off when your finger gets within an inch of it). Camera still works and still has intermittent problems. From my experience, I believe (no evidence) that many of the products on Amazon Marketplace may have had one more problem beyond minor cosmetic issues -- probably significant problems that may not have been fully remediated.

The rest of this review is the details of my experience with Amazon begin misleading on these warranties and not backing up what later said -- even if it made a mistake in saying it -- once said, it should be done. It wasn't. If interested and you have time to kill -- here's the story -- if not -- hope you buy an awesome product and the warranty brings peace of mind, but is not needed.
______________
I bought a Samsung NX 30 Camera from Amazon's Market Place, which means camera wasn't brand new, but should only have "minor cosemetic issues." When I clicked on the Amazon Buy button, I was INSTANTLY shown this Smart Guard 4 year protection plan as a recommendation from Amazon. I figured the camera must qualify, because it came up automatically (i.e, Amazon pushed it, and I had not done a search for the warranty), so I bought it - actually it never crossed my mind that it wouldn't be covered, until there was a problem.

As noted, shortly after I received the camera, there was a intermittent issue with the touchscreen shutting off when my finger came within an inch of the screen. Seemed weird to me, but I did it over and over with same effect -- however this problem often does not occur -- no clue why it happens when it does, but it eventually goes away. This problem caused me to want to have it checked and an fixed. After all I have a 4 year warranty. However, I hadn't received documents from Smart Guard. Not getting any paperwork / information from Smart Guard made me worry that the warranty didn't go through -- even though it showed it as purchased on Amazon. It also hit me that Smart Guard might not cover it because, it wasn't new. But Amazon recommended it when I hit the purchase button - so it must be, but thought it best to check with Amazon -- "I'll just check with Amazon." I used the instant chat to talk with an Amazon rep. to find out what's going on.

I asked Amazon's representative if it was, and she assured me it was covered -- I even reminded her that it was from Amazon Marketplace (i.e. not new) - and she told it was no problem -- just call Smart Guard - and Amazon would back me. Smart Guard had a different view on the camera being covered -- it was not covered, whether or not Amazon matched it with an opened product.

So I again contacted an Amazon rep who, after hearing my story, passed me on to a higher level rep. Nope, I wasn't covered by the warranty. I asked the Amazon rep, why they had the warranty pop up when they HAD TO KNOW it wouldn't cover the product, and why Amazon assured me it was covered and Amazon would back me. All I wanted was for Amazon to have the camera assessed and repaired for this one issue. I felt this was reasonable and fair, because they'd caused me to feel I was covered -- not once, but twice: The first time was their mistake in recommending the warranty during the purchase of an Amazon Marketplace camera (bad enough), but later assuring me I was covered and they would back me up.

This rep said he had to get back to me, obviously going up even one more level -- we he got back to me the answer was NOPE, we won't have it assessed and fixed. I was infuriated by Amazon recommended a product (without any inquiry on my part) and then failing to back up their statement that I was covered and they would back me. Even though I have had pretty good luck with Amazon - this really pushed my buttons. TO BE FAIR -- The Amazon rep offered to take the camera back or exchange it for another Amazon Market Place camera. By this time, I'd been burned, I didn't trust cameras that came from Amazon Market place (and still don't) and figured the next camera could develop a more severe problem than my camera, and I'd be even worse off. I just wanted Amazon to do what they said -- "Yes you are covered. We will back you." Well they weren't going to do that, although, and I'm just guessing, this wouldn't be financial strain on Amazon, and that their reputation was more important to them than that. I was so angry, I planned to send the camera back, but I cooled down and decided not to. It was a very good price, and in spite of a very frustrating problem, it works. At least it was a good price -- that is -- if it doesn't fall apart -- if it does it was a HORRIBLE price. I am still very disappointed in Amazon -- and hope this was an unusual event, but just be cautious.

let Amazon know this was not okay -- I didn't do a product search for warranties, Amazon automatically brought up the offer. If the camera had a problem down the line, I would have been under the ILLUSION THAT IT WAS COVERED. By the way I called Amazon to c
I think Amazon -- due to being very misleading on the warranty and how quickly the problem came up after the purchase -- should have covered the repair to the intermittent problem. To Amazon's credit they were willing to take the camera back, but NOT pay to have it fixed, even though they misled me into buying a useless warranty. In my frustration I was going to send the camera back, but decided to take the chance and keep it - the price was very good -- but if it the camera has an significant issue in the next year or two - then it was a horrible price. I hope Amazon stopped these warranties from automatically popping up for products that can't be covered. This review is linked to Smart Guard because you might be considering it for a product that isn't covered, unless Amazon got its act together on this. That the camera had a problem SO QUICKLY -- makes me extremely hesitant to buy from Amazon Marketplace in the future.
on December 3, 2013
In reading this, apparently this company can fix your camera using recycled parts, can send you a totally different camera brand, and has many hurdles to leap to make all that happen. I returned it and found where Amazon also sells actual Nikon extended warranties. I am happy now. This plan might work for some people, but the Nikon was cheaper and much better.
on June 26, 2016
Update: After 7-weeks, approximately 30 emails and a complaint with the BBB they returned my camera to me, supposedly fixed it. I took 3 photos with it and the same problem cropped up again. It is definitely an electronic malfunction and they definitely didn't fix it. Just spent 20-minutes on the phone again and they basically said the only thing they could do for me is start the entire process over again. I'm now 8+ weeks into this nightmare without a working camera.

Initial review: I had to utilize my Smart Guard warranty after my camera had an electronic malfunction. In a nutshell, it has been a horrible experience. The company misplaced my information multiple times. Each time I had to resubmit the information, they implied I had broke the camera, which isn't covered under warranty. Each time, I patiently explained the issue. When I finally was able to connect with someone via phone that was supposed to help, she didn't know that my product was a camera. I was provided misinformation the entire way along the line, including I'd have my camera fixed and back to me within 10-days but instead it'll be over 2+ months. In the end, rather than fix it, they shipped it back to the manufacturer without notifying me, despite saying they would. Of course, manufacture repair takes months, which is why I had purchased a supplemental warranty with the understanding this would provide me protection needed, should the camera malfunction. Instead, I've had the worse customer experience ever, and am losing an entire summer of photos of my child. Extremely disappointed in this service and I will never buy a warranty from this company again.
on April 28, 2014
I hate complaining about a poor customer experience but I was so annoyed with my experience with this company. I purchased this plan with my NIkon Coolpix 520. I dropped the camera in February while on vacation and needed to get it repaired. The first contact explained how the process will work. They will send out a box I will send my camera back, Once it it received, the average turn around would be 3 days. My camera would be fixed or replaced. Call #2 was a couple weeks later and I was informed they never sent out a box and they'd do so straight away. Call #3 was a week after that. The box was sent, they said, they'll have to trace it. They'll initiate a trace on the box and get back to me in 1-2 days. Calls #4,5 and 6 were me following up, as I did not receive notice on what was going on. On call 6, I was told a supervisor would call me that day or the next at the latest. 3 days later I got one. Its now 6 weeks after my initial claim and Im told that they'll email me a mailing label to send it back. I'll have to go buy the packaging etc. Its now 2 weeks past then. Call #7 to check on the status of my claim. They received the camera and I'll have my check in 7-14 business days. Confused, I asked why I am not getting my camera (or a replacement coolpix 520) I was told. That was just the decision made. So I asked if they had notified me, and was told that a supervisor should have called me. I received no email, no phone call. No contact of any kind. I suppose I should be glad I am getting my full price paid, but what I wanted was the camera. Its now been roughly 9 weeks and I *should* have my reimbursement in1-2 more weeks :( I expect to have to call.
22 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse