Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Service plan term: 4 Year|Service plan covered value: $450-500|Change
Price:$53.15+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 1,583 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,790 reviews
on February 13, 2017
Please for the love of god read this entire review.

I wish I could give this company negative reviews. Simply don't do it. This protection plan, and the company, Warrantech, who sells it, are not worth the time it takes to click on em. I purchased this plan for my 700.00 camera. The plan was for accidental damage. It turns out that they have a very long list of accidental damage that they don't even cover, but fortunately they did decide to cover mine. Great right!

I mailed the camera in October of 2016 and they received it on November 2. The product description on Amazon has a list of bullet points under the price, one of them saying this: "5 Day Repair Guarantee on Depot Service". You would think that would mean my camera would be fixed within five days of their receiving it right? Well two weeks expire and I start asking for updates. On November 28 I get a response, saying that it is "In line for a technician". Then I hear nothing. I make several phone calls and get the same line, and get promises that it will be looked into but get no response. By approximately December 21 it finally gets looked at by a Tech. By December 28 I get notified that they have to order parts.

It has now been two months since I mailed this camera away to a company who advertises a 5 day service guarantee.

By January 12 I get some one on the phone who tells me that they have to mail it to the manufacturer. At this point I am becoming upset as this is now hurting my productivity and reputation. They tell me that instead of mailing it to the manufacturer they can fast track getting me an Amazon gift card so I can just buy my own.

But then I hear nothing. I email them, and approximately ten days later I get a response offering me a refurbished camera. But you can't get a new protection plan on a refurbished camera. At least none I could find. I reject the offer and ask for the gift card they offered. At least a week later after several more phone calls and emails I get another response, saying they will give me a $440.00 gift card. (The camera was 700.00).

When I call the first person I speak to tells me the 440.00 is such because my plan pays out 700.00 but they have to subtract the diagnostic fees from the company who does the repair. She actually says that "I can't expect them to pay the diagnostic fee right?" Unwilling to accept this I ask for some one who I can negotiate with. A woman answers the phone and identifies herself as a supervisor. This woman then tells me that the previous woman was misinformed and that the 440.00 was due to that being their cost for a refurbished camera that was offered. I then ask her about the 5 day service guarantee. She says that it Amazon's fault. They don't offer a 5 day guarantee that it would be ridiculous for a business to offer so quick a turnaround. Those are pretty much her words.

She then puts me on hold and of course the call disconnects.

To wrap this up I make several more calls. One supervisor actually seemed reasonable, after telling me that I have to allow for depreciation of my camera... (I bought a plan for a 700.00 camera but they were saying it was now worth 440.00). I also find out that the previous woman who identified herself as a supervisor was not a supervisor at all. Go figure. I ask for the refurbished camera on condition that they also provide me with a new accidental protection plan. Incidentally when I asked her about the 5 day service guarantee she tells me that the guarantee is that they will find me a repair service within five days. Shocked I asked her to repeat herself then again asked her to confirm that it is her final stance that the five day guarantee advertised in the product description in two different places only refers to the time they have to find a repair company... She says absolutely. She promises to call me back, but never does.

The next day I get an email with the 440.00 gift card code. That was almost four months after I mailed the camera away, and at least 20-30 hours of waiting on hold or arguing with reps. I reject the card of course and email them several times telling them so.

The Smart Guard protection team's final response response is as such: "Since the replacement item offered was denied, you are sent an ecard in the amount of the replacement item. Per the terms and conditions, your plan provides replacement of your originally covered product, or at our sole, discretion, reimbursement for the cost of replacement (up to the original purchase price). Replacement products may be a new or refurbished product of equal or similar features and functionality, but not necessarily the same brand".

So there you go. If you decide to purchase this plan expect several months of waiting and lies and many hours of heart ache and disappointment only to be given half the camera's value and a bunch of contract jargon. This company will flat out not honor its "Guarantee" and will do whatever it can to avoid responsibility, from blatant lies to hanging up on you, leaving you shaking your head and frustrated.

I will never purchase their product again, and nor should you or any one else.
1717 comments| 244 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2013
Amazon listed this as "accidental & spill" damage protection, however the contract explicitly states that water damage of any kind (along with a very, very long list of other things that void the protection) voids the protection plan. In fact, the coverage is worded in such a way that pretty much everything voids the protection program.

If you don't believe me, here's an excerpt:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED: THIS SERVICE AGREEMENT DOES NOT COVER ANY LOSS, REPAIRS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY OR RESULTING
FROM: (A) PRE‐EXISTING CONDITIONS INCURRED OR KNOWN TO YOU ("PRE‐EXISTING" MEANS A CONDITION THAT WITHIN ALL
REASONABLE MECHANICAL OR ELECTRICAL PROBABILITY RELATES TO THE MECHANICAL FITNESS OF YOUR COVERED PRODUCT
PRIOR TO ISSUANCE OF THIS SERVICE AGREEMENT); (B) IMPROPER PACKAGING AND/OR TRANSPORTATION BY YOU OR YOUR
REPRESENTATIVE RESULTING IN DAMAGE DURING SHIPMENT TO A SERVICE CENTER OR RELOCATION OF THE COVERED PRODUCT;
(C) INSTALLATION, REMOVAL, REINSTALLATION OR IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF COMPONENTS, UPGRADES, ATTACHMENTS OR
PERIPHERALS; (D) PRODUCTS AND/OR COMPONENTS THAT ARE USED IN APPLICATIONS THAT REQUIRE CONTINUOUS BUSINESS
AND/OR COMMERCIAL OPERATION, OR ARE USED FOR COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL, EDUCATIONAL OR PUBLIC USE PURPOSES OR
OFFERED ON A RENTAL BASIS, OR COIN‐OPERATED PRODUCTS; (E) DAMAGE OR FAILURE CAUSED BY RIOT, NUCLEAR RADIATION,
WAR OR HOSTILE ACTION, RADIOACTIVE CONTAMINATION, ETC.; (F) DAMAGE FROM FREEZING OR OVERHEATING; (G) INADEQUATE
PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL OR GAS SERVICE; (H) INTERRUPTION OF GAS OR ELECTRICAL SERVICE; (I) NEGLECT, NEGLIGENCE, MISUSE,
ABUSE, INTENTIONAL PHYSICAL/MECHANICAL/ELECTRONIC DAMAGE, PHYSICAL DAMAGE OR MALICIOUS MISCHIEF, THEFT OR
MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE, VANDALISM, RUST, CORROSION, WARPING, BENDING, ANIMAL OR INSECT INFESTATION, ETC. TO
THE COVERED PRODUCT OR ANY COMPONENT; (J) DAMAGE OR FAILURE DUE TO CAUSES BEYOND YOUR CONTROL SUCH AS
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS, EXPOSURE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS OR ACTS OF NATURE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: FIRE,
FLOODS, SMOKE, SAND, DIRT, LIGHTNING, MOISTURE, WATER DAMAGE OF ANY KIND, WHETHER FROM FRESH WATER, SALTWATER
OR OTHER WATER INTRUSION, STORMS, WIND OR WINDSTORM, HAIL, EARTHQUAKE, OTHER EXTERNAL PERILS OF NATURE; (K)
REPAIRS NECESSITATED BY OPERATION OUTSIDE THE MANUFACTURER OPERATIONAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIFICATIONS; (L)
BATTERY FAILURE OR LEAKAGE; (M) COLLISION WITH ANOTHER OBJECT, COLLAPSE, EXPLOSION, LIQUID SPILLAGE OF ANY KIND BY
ANY OWNER, EMPLOYEE, THIRD PARTY, REPAIR PERSONNEL, ETC.,
5150+ comments| 1,237 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2016
I don't think I've ever left a one star review for anything on Amazon but these crappy people earned it fair and square! I just wish there was a negative 50 rating!! I just bought a nearly $800 camera 2 months ago and bought this "accident" coverage just in case. I normally take pretty good care of my stuff but life can be difficult sometimes, right? It was nearly $90 for this plan.but with this camera costing so much, I figured it was worth the extra money for that extra protection. So a few weeks after I got my brand new camera, I put it on the tripod and headed to the door to go take pictures outside. I paused and set the tripod (spread out) right at the door while I ran to the restroom really quick. All of sudden I hear all kinds of noise and came running out to find my camera slammed to the floor by my robotic vacuum cleaner toppling over the tripod! I was nearly in tears as I turned the camera off and on again to see if it still worked. Well... the display screen flickered but eventually recovered. However, the eye piece was nudged out and doesn't work anymore. So I can only take pictures by viewing the fold out display screen which doesn't quite want to close all the way now. So... what do I do? Well, naturally I file a claim with my "accidental coverage" people. This was the epitome of an accident if I ever heard of one!

so, I file the claim on line and the site behaved strangely. It gave no acknowledgement of my claim, it just changed pages. When I went back to the status page it said, "pending review". I was left wondering how I was supposed to send the camera in or what I was supposed to do next. So I called the phone number supplied in my original purchase email and explained my sad story. The lady types away while I'm telling her all this and then says, "well, this coverage is only for accidents while it's in use, so it won't be covered". I asked her if there was a 30 second rule to qualify it as "in use". She said no, just as casually serious as she could be! I don't know what "in use" is defined as but my camera was turned on and ready to go! It was 10' from taking freaking pictures! OMG! Some companies are so unbearably unethical these days and THIS company is one of them!

Need I say more about why you shouldn't waste your money on this PURE crap? I don't know how Amazon became hooked up with such a lousy company but they need to seriously reconsider because Smart Guard is way beneath them! They are totally deceptive in their advertisement of an "accidental" policy. If I had the camera in my hands when it fell they would probably have said it had to be in the middle of pressing the button in order to qualify for coverage. Or maybe they'd say if it fell out of my hands that it had to be IN my hands at the time of the accident? Pfff!!

SAVE YOUR MONEY!! Go with SquareTrade or something. They are 100 times the company this one is! I'll be glad if this review saves even one person from the misery I've experienced today!
33 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2016
In reading over reviews of this product, I discovered that most of the 4 and 5 star reviews for it are by people who haven't used it, but are happy they have it in case they need it somewhere down the road. I have used it.
Pro: my camera was repaired to my satisfaction
Cons: it took longer than I had hoped to get it repaired
I had no idea what was happening with my camera once it left my hands.

This was bought as extra protection for a Canon Sl1 camera. This is my experience.
1. The total time it took from first making a claim by phone from my home in Louisiana to receiving the camera back from PhotoTech, a camera repair facility located in New York City was 23 days. (Dec. 7-Dec. 30, 2015)
2. I am totally happy with the work PhotoTech did. The part I made the claim for was removed and replaced with a new one, the camera was cleaned and sent back to me in like-new condition firmly sandwiched in form-fitting dense foam packaging.
3. The bottom line is that my camera was covered and repaired, so I'm satisfied. I think, though, that Warrentech, the entity that sells the SmartGuard plan, needs to improve customer service.
--From start-to-finish I had only 2 interactions with Warrentech. The first was when I spoke to a representative on the phone to make a claim. The second was in the form of an e-mail sent by them 48 hours later containing the shipping label I needed to send the camera to the repair facility. After that, there was nothing; it was as though I had dropped my camera into a black hole. I was left to wonder: did the camera arrive? was it going to be repaired? (I wasn't sure if the problem I had would even be covered); when should I expect it back? I finally called PhotoTech myself to find out what was going on.
--I don't fault the repair facility for the lack of information. I think it was--and should be--Warrentech's responsibility to provide feedback (via e-mail or text message) to the customer since it is the entity that arranges and pays for the repairs. And, at this time, anyway, it doesn't do that.
Customer service shouldn't end once a claim is received and assigned. It should continue until the covered item is repaired and returned.
on March 11, 2014
After spending nearly $700 on a new digital camera I wanted to make sure I had an accident protection plan to secure my investment. So far, I'm not happy with the warranty through Smart Guard. Nothing has happened to the camera (thank god) but in trying to register my warranty, upload my proof of purchase, input the serial number and set up an account for myself/my camera. I've run into nothing but problems. The website is archaic, every link is a dead end, there's no way to sync my user acct to the camera registration. No portal to upload proof of purchase, and no prompt to input the serial number (which is one of the mandatory fields on the registration). I just emailed customer service, hopefully they'll get back to me but it seems like a waste of $50+ so far. If the set up is this painful I can't imagine what would happen if I actually tried to file a claim.

I would not say it's a user friendly process, nor do I feel "secure" with this plan, should anything happen to my very pricey camera. I'd say skip this warranty and find a better plan through the camera manufacturer or another source.
on January 31, 2016
I had slipped on some slick rocks in Greenland which resulted in my EVF being crushed. . . an accident that was not the camera's fault. Smart Guard had me send them my damaged body and in a couple of weeks it was sent back to me repaired and looking as good as new. 1 year later and everything is still working fine. This was money well spent!
on March 25, 2014
I feel this company tricks the customer as to what is actually covered. I bought a camera together with the lens, not separate. When I try to register the plan, the website will only allow me to register either the camera or the lens but not both of them. In the end you are forced to choose to cover only the most expensive piece of the equipment while leaving a significant amount without any protection.
on October 27, 2013
Based on the Nikon Bundle I purchased, this plan may have very limited benefits. I purchased the 4-year agreement with accidental damage (ADH) ($1,000-1,250). Nikon has a one-year limited warranty on their cameras and lens plus 4-year extended service coverage on their lens, for a total of 5 years. The Smart Guard Warranty is basically the same as the manufacturer's limited warranty unless you purchase a plan with ADH. During the period of the manufacturer's warranty, Smart Guard will assist you in receiving repairs from the manufacturer. If Smart Guard ever has to pay for repairs, you are limited to the total amount of your plan (in my case $1,250). If Smart Guard replaces an item there is no further coverage for that item. Based on my understanding of this plan and talking with customer service, this plan is not for me.

Smart Guard clearly states this is not an insurance policy. If Smart Guard does not pay a claim, replace the item, comply with the service agreement, etc., within 60 days you can cancel the service agreement. If you are entitled to a refund, you can file a claim with Smart Guard's insurance company. In addition, Smart Guard "reserves the right, at Our sole discretion, to replace Your Product with a product of equal or similar features and functionality, not necessarily the same brand." I will have a problem, if I sent in my Nikon camera, which I have a number of accessories and parts, and got back a refurbished Epson Camera or something else crazy. If you have to send your product in for repair, you are responsible for shipping it there and it arriving undamaged; Smart Guard will then pay for the return. You may want to check with your homeowners' insurance policy because you may already be covered for more than the coverage in this service agreement.
33 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2015
I wouldn't recommend this warranty to ANYONE!!!!!! Stay as far a way as you can... and do your research... I purchased this warranty with a camera bundle a little less than a year ago... one of the lenses that I had broke... I contacted smart guard regarding what I needed to do.... They in return told me that since it hadn't been a year to contact the manufacturer and that if the manufacturer didn't cover it under warranty than to have them give you something in writing and contact us again... when the Manufacturer stated that my lens wasn't covered under the manufacturer warranty I forwarded the information to smart guard who then went on to tell me that part of there "terms and conditions" your product has to have a manufacturer warranty in order for your Smart guard warranty to be valid..... Soooo you have to have a warranty already in order to purchase a warranty?!?!?!?!? sooo now im left with a broken lens that i'll have to replace out of my pocket when for the last 11 months ive been under the impression that thats what I purchased smart guard for???! Buyers please beware of what your purchasing... if my lens wouldnt have broken I would have never known that purchasing this was worthless and now im waiting for my refund!!!!
on December 8, 2014
12/8/14 I never received the email when I originally purchased the product. A year later, the camera I bought is having problems which are covered under the warranty. I called Friday to start the process, and after sitting on hold for nearly 40 minutes my call was finally taken. The guy said since I hadn't registered my product I would have to wait and have the email resent, which could take 48 hours. After I register the product I will get a pin. Then I can submit a new claim. After submitting the claim then the company that will fix it will mail me a box (which can take 3 days). Then I mail the camera in and get it repaired.

Never got the email.

I called back 3 days later and was only on hold about 2 minutes. The girl who answered apologized that I never received the email and has offered to register my product and resend the email so we can get a claim started.