Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now Ellen

Service plan term: 4 Year|Service plan covered value: $450-500|Change
Price:$63.11+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 1,524 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,731 reviews
on November 6, 2013
Amazon listed this as "accidental & spill" damage protection, however the contract explicitly states that water damage of any kind (along with a very, very long list of other things that void the protection) voids the protection plan. In fact, the coverage is worded in such a way that pretty much everything voids the protection program.

If you don't believe me, here's an excerpt:

WHAT IS NOT COVERED: THIS SERVICE AGREEMENT DOES NOT COVER ANY LOSS, REPAIRS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY OR RESULTING
FROM: (A) PRE‐EXISTING CONDITIONS INCURRED OR KNOWN TO YOU ("PRE‐EXISTING" MEANS A CONDITION THAT WITHIN ALL
REASONABLE MECHANICAL OR ELECTRICAL PROBABILITY RELATES TO THE MECHANICAL FITNESS OF YOUR COVERED PRODUCT
PRIOR TO ISSUANCE OF THIS SERVICE AGREEMENT); (B) IMPROPER PACKAGING AND/OR TRANSPORTATION BY YOU OR YOUR
REPRESENTATIVE RESULTING IN DAMAGE DURING SHIPMENT TO A SERVICE CENTER OR RELOCATION OF THE COVERED PRODUCT;
(C) INSTALLATION, REMOVAL, REINSTALLATION OR IMPROPER INSTALLATION OF COMPONENTS, UPGRADES, ATTACHMENTS OR
PERIPHERALS; (D) PRODUCTS AND/OR COMPONENTS THAT ARE USED IN APPLICATIONS THAT REQUIRE CONTINUOUS BUSINESS
AND/OR COMMERCIAL OPERATION, OR ARE USED FOR COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL, EDUCATIONAL OR PUBLIC USE PURPOSES OR
OFFERED ON A RENTAL BASIS, OR COIN‐OPERATED PRODUCTS; (E) DAMAGE OR FAILURE CAUSED BY RIOT, NUCLEAR RADIATION,
WAR OR HOSTILE ACTION, RADIOACTIVE CONTAMINATION, ETC.; (F) DAMAGE FROM FREEZING OR OVERHEATING; (G) INADEQUATE
PLUMBING, ELECTRICAL OR GAS SERVICE; (H) INTERRUPTION OF GAS OR ELECTRICAL SERVICE; (I) NEGLECT, NEGLIGENCE, MISUSE,
ABUSE, INTENTIONAL PHYSICAL/MECHANICAL/ELECTRONIC DAMAGE, PHYSICAL DAMAGE OR MALICIOUS MISCHIEF, THEFT OR
MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCE, VANDALISM, RUST, CORROSION, WARPING, BENDING, ANIMAL OR INSECT INFESTATION, ETC. TO
THE COVERED PRODUCT OR ANY COMPONENT; (J) DAMAGE OR FAILURE DUE TO CAUSES BEYOND YOUR CONTROL SUCH AS
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS, EXPOSURE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS OR ACTS OF NATURE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: FIRE,
FLOODS, SMOKE, SAND, DIRT, LIGHTNING, MOISTURE, WATER DAMAGE OF ANY KIND, WHETHER FROM FRESH WATER, SALTWATER
OR OTHER WATER INTRUSION, STORMS, WIND OR WINDSTORM, HAIL, EARTHQUAKE, OTHER EXTERNAL PERILS OF NATURE; (K)
REPAIRS NECESSITATED BY OPERATION OUTSIDE THE MANUFACTURER OPERATIONAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIFICATIONS; (L)
BATTERY FAILURE OR LEAKAGE; (M) COLLISION WITH ANOTHER OBJECT, COLLAPSE, EXPLOSION, LIQUID SPILLAGE OF ANY KIND BY
ANY OWNER, EMPLOYEE, THIRD PARTY, REPAIR PERSONNEL, ETC.,
5150+ comments| 1,151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2017
Please for the love of god read this entire review.

I wish I could give this company negative reviews. Simply don't do it. This protection plan, and the company, Warrantech, who sells it, are not worth the time it takes to click on em. I purchased this plan for my 700.00 camera. The plan was for accidental damage. It turns out that they have a very long list of accidental damage that they don't even cover, but fortunately they did decide to cover mine. Great right!

I mailed the camera in October of 2016 and they received it on November 2. The product description on Amazon has a list of bullet points under the price, one of them saying this: "5 Day Repair Guarantee on Depot Service". You would think that would mean my camera would be fixed within five days of their receiving it right? Well two weeks expire and I start asking for updates. On November 28 I get a response, saying that it is "In line for a technician". Then I hear nothing. I make several phone calls and get the same line, and get promises that it will be looked into but get no response. By approximately December 21 it finally gets looked at by a Tech. By December 28 I get notified that they have to order parts.

It has now been two months since I mailed this camera away to a company who advertises a 5 day service guarantee.

By January 12 I get some one on the phone who tells me that they have to mail it to the manufacturer. At this point I am becoming upset as this is now hurting my productivity and reputation. They tell me that instead of mailing it to the manufacturer they can fast track getting me an Amazon gift card so I can just buy my own.

But then I hear nothing. I email them, and approximately ten days later I get a response offering me a refurbished camera. But you can't get a new protection plan on a refurbished camera. At least none I could find. I reject the offer and ask for the gift card they offered. At least a week later after several more phone calls and emails I get another response, saying they will give me a $440.00 gift card. (The camera was 700.00).

When I call the first person I speak to tells me the 440.00 is such because my plan pays out 700.00 but they have to subtract the diagnostic fees from the company who does the repair. She actually says that "I can't expect them to pay the diagnostic fee right?" Unwilling to accept this I ask for some one who I can negotiate with. A woman answers the phone and identifies herself as a supervisor. This woman then tells me that the previous woman was misinformed and that the 440.00 was due to that being their cost for a refurbished camera that was offered. I then ask her about the 5 day service guarantee. She says that it Amazon's fault. They don't offer a 5 day guarantee that it would be ridiculous for a business to offer so quick a turnaround. Those are pretty much her words.

She then puts me on hold and of course the call disconnects.

To wrap this up I make several more calls. One supervisor actually seemed reasonable, after telling me that I have to allow for depreciation of my camera... (I bought a plan for a 700.00 camera but they were saying it was now worth 440.00). I also find out that the previous woman who identified herself as a supervisor was not a supervisor at all. Go figure. I ask for the refurbished camera on condition that they also provide me with a new accidental protection plan. Incidentally when I asked her about the 5 day service guarantee she tells me that the guarantee is that they will find me a repair service within five days. Shocked I asked her to repeat herself then again asked her to confirm that it is her final stance that the five day guarantee advertised in the product description in two different places only refers to the time they have to find a repair company... She says absolutely. She promises to call me back, but never does.

The next day I get an email with the 440.00 gift card code. That was almost four months after I mailed the camera away, and at least 20-30 hours of waiting on hold or arguing with reps. I reject the card of course and email them several times telling them so.

The Smart Guard protection team's final response response is as such: "Since the replacement item offered was denied, you are sent an ecard in the amount of the replacement item. Per the terms and conditions, your plan provides replacement of your originally covered product, or at our sole, discretion, reimbursement for the cost of replacement (up to the original purchase price). Replacement products may be a new or refurbished product of equal or similar features and functionality, but not necessarily the same brand".

So there you go. If you decide to purchase this plan expect several months of waiting and lies and many hours of heart ache and disappointment only to be given half the camera's value and a bunch of contract jargon. This company will flat out not honor its "Guarantee" and will do whatever it can to avoid responsibility, from blatant lies to hanging up on you, leaving you shaking your head and frustrated.

I will never purchase their product again, and nor should you or any one else.
33 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2016
I don't think I've ever left a one star review for anything on Amazon but these crappy people earned it fair and square! I just wish there was a negative 50 rating!! I just bought a nearly $800 camera 2 months ago and bought this "accident" coverage just in case. I normally take pretty good care of my stuff but life can be difficult sometimes, right? It was nearly $90 for this plan.but with this camera costing so much, I figured it was worth the extra money for that extra protection. So a few weeks after I got my brand new camera, I put it on the tripod and headed to the door to go take pictures outside. I paused and set the tripod (spread out) right at the door while I ran to the restroom really quick. All of sudden I hear all kinds of noise and came running out to find my camera slammed to the floor by my robotic vacuum cleaner toppling over the tripod! I was nearly in tears as I turned the camera off and on again to see if it still worked. Well... the display screen flickered but eventually recovered. However, the eye piece was nudged out and doesn't work anymore. So I can only take pictures by viewing the fold out display screen which doesn't quite want to close all the way now. So... what do I do? Well, naturally I file a claim with my "accidental coverage" people. This was the epitome of an accident if I ever heard of one!

so, I file the claim on line and the site behaved strangely. It gave no acknowledgement of my claim, it just changed pages. When I went back to the status page it said, "pending review". I was left wondering how I was supposed to send the camera in or what I was supposed to do next. So I called the phone number supplied in my original purchase email and explained my sad story. The lady types away while I'm telling her all this and then says, "well, this coverage is only for accidents while it's in use, so it won't be covered". I asked her if there was a 30 second rule to qualify it as "in use". She said no, just as casually serious as she could be! I don't know what "in use" is defined as but my camera was turned on and ready to go! It was 10' from taking freaking pictures! OMG! Some companies are so unbearably unethical these days and THIS company is one of them!

Need I say more about why you shouldn't waste your money on this PURE crap? I don't know how Amazon became hooked up with such a lousy company but they need to seriously reconsider because Smart Guard is way beneath them! They are totally deceptive in their advertisement of an "accidental" policy. If I had the camera in my hands when it fell they would probably have said it had to be in the middle of pressing the button in order to qualify for coverage. Or maybe they'd say if it fell out of my hands that it had to be IN my hands at the time of the accident? Pfff!!

SAVE YOUR MONEY!! Go with SquareTrade or something. They are 100 times the company this one is! I'll be glad if this review saves even one person from the misery I've experienced today!
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2016
In reading over reviews of this product, I discovered that most of the 4 and 5 star reviews for it are by people who haven't used it, but are happy they have it in case they need it somewhere down the road. I have used it.
Pro: my camera was repaired to my satisfaction
Cons: it took longer than I had hoped to get it repaired
I had no idea what was happening with my camera once it left my hands.

This was bought as extra protection for a Canon Sl1 camera. This is my experience.
1. The total time it took from first making a claim by phone from my home in Louisiana to receiving the camera back from PhotoTech, a camera repair facility located in New York City was 23 days. (Dec. 7-Dec. 30, 2015)
2. I am totally happy with the work PhotoTech did. The part I made the claim for was removed and replaced with a new one, the camera was cleaned and sent back to me in like-new condition firmly sandwiched in form-fitting dense foam packaging.
3. The bottom line is that my camera was covered and repaired, so I'm satisfied. I think, though, that Warrentech, the entity that sells the SmartGuard plan, needs to improve customer service.
--From start-to-finish I had only 2 interactions with Warrentech. The first was when I spoke to a representative on the phone to make a claim. The second was in the form of an e-mail sent by them 48 hours later containing the shipping label I needed to send the camera to the repair facility. After that, there was nothing; it was as though I had dropped my camera into a black hole. I was left to wonder: did the camera arrive? was it going to be repaired? (I wasn't sure if the problem I had would even be covered); when should I expect it back? I finally called PhotoTech myself to find out what was going on.
--I don't fault the repair facility for the lack of information. I think it was--and should be--Warrentech's responsibility to provide feedback (via e-mail or text message) to the customer since it is the entity that arranges and pays for the repairs. And, at this time, anyway, it doesn't do that.
Customer service shouldn't end once a claim is received and assigned. It should continue until the covered item is repaired and returned.
on February 26, 2014
So many others have said things along the lines of "I don't know if this is good, but I'm glad I have it" - not particularly helpful...

I ended up buying it because the price was right. I found the fine print after I had purchased, and wished I had seen it before hand. It's not covered from "Acts of God" which are usually stipulated to be weather-related problems (e.g. if your house is flooded and your product is damaged, they can claim the flood was an act of god). Personally, I like my insurance policies to be atheist.

Here's what's NOT covered:
Pre-existing conditions or unauthorized repairs
Used items, floor samples, or products sold "As-Is"
Outdoor furniture
Products used in a commercial setting without a commercial plan
Damages resulting from exposure to outdoor elements
Damages from acts of nature or acts of God ******
Animal or insect infestation
Rot, rust, and mold
Theft and customer abuse or intentional damage
Other exclusions as listed in the Exclusions section of your terms and conditions
99 comments| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My son dropped his camera and the LCD screen was cracked. We called to get it replaced. Wg had to make 5 or 6 calls over a 3 week period before we finally got a box sent to us to ship the camera in for repair. The seller would blame the warranty people and the warranty people would say they never heard from the seller. After we sent it back and heard nothing for 2 weeks, we called and were told that they were trying to decide if they could replace the screen or if they had to just give us a new one. It took another week or so when we had to call again to be told that it would be 5 weeks before it would be fixed. Wg have had no updates ever. We have always had to call them. We will be calling again tomorrow to see if we can get an update. Such a run around. I Gus's to replace the screen if we didn't have the warranty would have cost more than what we paid for the warranty but my son has lost money on several film jobs because he has no camera. In the end, he would have made enough money on the jobs he could have been doing to pay for the screen and still make money. If you do buy this and have to make a claim, call them daily or you'll never get your merchandise back.
on September 19, 2013
The ad said drops and spills protection. When I got the details drops and spills were excluded. in fact hardly anything was covered.
55 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2013
Smart Guard "Accidental Protection" 4 years???????

Accidents are the main thing people buy these plans for, but guess what ISN'T covered? you got it......accidents. You drop it in water while hiking or climbing, too bad. You go to beach and it gets sand in it, too bad.
Get stolen at home? it will cover that, but so will my homeowner's insurance, same for my car.
So what do they cover that isn't covered by home or auto insurance (and renter's insurance if don't own home).....still trying to figure that out.
Can't believe Amazon allows this, .....folks, wait till you try to register on their website. ????????
who set up their website? a 10 year old kid down the street?
I can't get it to register my product, and I am technically proficient

scam scam scam
99 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2014
I had to find out the hard way that while Smart Guard is explicit in their policies/documents about what is NOT covered, they failed to mention 'fly-aways' which is what I unfortunately experienced with my drone. I purchased this coverage for such an emergency. Why else would Amazon suggest it when I made my order? They did not even offer to cover the camera/gimbal component of my lost drone. Yes, I was terribly disappointed. Feels like I've been scammed...and via Amazon. For years I have had reasonably good experiences on this site until now.
Pity.
77 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2014
After spending nearly $700 on a new digital camera I wanted to make sure I had an accident protection plan to secure my investment. So far, I'm not happy with the warranty through Smart Guard. Nothing has happened to the camera (thank god) but in trying to register my warranty, upload my proof of purchase, input the serial number and set up an account for myself/my camera. I've run into nothing but problems. The website is archaic, every link is a dead end, there's no way to sync my user acct to the camera registration. No portal to upload proof of purchase, and no prompt to input the serial number (which is one of the mandatory fields on the registration). I just emailed customer service, hopefully they'll get back to me but it seems like a waste of $50+ so far. If the set up is this painful I can't imagine what would happen if I actually tried to file a claim.

I would not say it's a user friendly process, nor do I feel "secure" with this plan, should anything happen to my very pricey camera. I'd say skip this warranty and find a better plan through the camera manufacturer or another source.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.