Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 91-100 of 216 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 343 reviews
on December 19, 2015
The only reason for the four stars is the paint stripping scene, which, for such wit and knowledge, is ridiculous. However, all is forgiven.
on June 9, 2016
I enjoyed the 44 Scotland Street, kept your interest could not put down. Made you smile. Love it!
on May 17, 2015
I have truly enjoyed the Scotland series. And one must understand the English humor to truly understand the books. As in all books, you must embrace your self as though you are there.
on March 18, 2014
I've read many of Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency stories, but hadn't tried any of his other novels. This was a delight and I will certainly read more of his novels set in Scotland. It has the same warmth and whimsy as the Mma Ramotswe books.
on June 12, 2015
I read this years ago. I bought it for my sister-in-law. I think the entire series is is highly entertaining and very amusing. Of course Bertie is my favorite character!
on March 18, 2015
I'm a fan of this author and this book has the delightful characteristics of his work. The characters are interesting and some of the dialog is hilarious. A very enjoyable and easy read.
on June 18, 2015
Mr. Smith's books are always interesting. The characters in this book are so well constructed that you feel that you know them as well as you know your own friends.
on July 4, 2015
Thoroughly entertaining and good natured. Insightful about human foibles and modern life. Characters are witty and quirky even if the plot is not especially deep.
on December 10, 2015
It just didn't catch on for me. I've set it aside until another time. Perhaps when I come back to it, I'll enjoy it more.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 4, 2013
I generally like A.Mc. S books - some more than others. I felt this one not as engaging as for instance Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency books however I did think about the characters long after finishing the book and their obsessions which might indicate a deeper sense of appreciation than when first read.