Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$10.48+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 57 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 90 reviews
on July 31, 2013
This book is a superb reference for anyone writing fiction or BOTS (Based On a True Story) stories.

It's not an exciting book, but it's excellent for character insights... those little things you may not have included, which will make your characters memorable and three-dimensional. You don't need to follow the "master characters" as a formula, but for character nuances, motivation, and insights, this is easily the best book in the field.

I'm keeping this book on my bookshelf with The Writers Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers, 3rd Edition and 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them. These are among the books I double-check to be sure my story outline is complete. Otherwise, I may get to the middle, see it sagging beyond redemption, and... it becomes yet another unfinished book.

If you're developing characters, you need this book. As I said, it's not exciting reading, but it's essential.
on October 9, 2014
This is one of my essential writing tools. Whenever I'm stuck on developing a character it never fails to get me out of the rut. No matter what genre you write, this is an essential tool to have to bring your characters to life. Why? Because 45 Master Characters is one of those rare writing advice books that gets you thinking about who your characters really are—which not only makes them seem more real, but will keep your plot line moving from beginning to end.
on May 25, 2013
You don't have to be a writer to find this book a terrific resource: Schmidt draws her archetypes from sources such as mythology and Jung, and they speak powerfully to the depths. I have gained insight into myself - strengths, flaws, potential, growing edge - by thinking about her character models.
on December 11, 2014
Jam packed with timeless writing tips, Victoria Lynn Schmidt's "45 Master Characters," is one of the best book for novelists I've read. Her writing style is clear and accessible and her examples are relevant to today's "show don't tell" era.
I'm currently using tips I've learned from this book on a current work in progress that has already been praised by industry insiders. I can't wait to see how they'll react after I've incorporated a few of Ms. Schmidt's advice into my work.
I highly recommend this book for beginners or those who believe they are "advanced." The truth is, none of us are "advanced writers." Regardless of our writing experience or success, every day we can choose to become better writers by adopting a humble, growth mindset. This book was written for that kind of writer, the ones who allow their characters and themselves to experience and conquer the path set before them.
on July 16, 2015
I have an older version of this. I left it in my classroom for the summer which is locked up tightly when I realized, I needed it. Instead of trying to break into the building, I figured I would just purchase it again and was pleasantly surprised that it was under $15. Not only that, but it was an updated version.

I am really interested in character archetypes and this book cuts it. It is a great read, great conversation piece, and it really puts characters into perspective for budding writers.

Highly recommend.
on March 18, 2014
I am someone who buys just about any writing help book thrown my way. I have an entire bookcase dedicated to writing help books. When I am not at my regular job, I make money freelance writing online. There are three books that are constantly kept by my computer and this is one of them. If I am writing up a batch of plots to see ebook writers, a quick flick through this book is enough to inspire an entire plot. My friend and I actually played a game with this book. We would give each other a literary character and then find that character's archetype in "45 Master Characters." Most often, we both chose the same archetype for each character. This book is very clear as to what qualifies as what archetype and helps you to take your 2D character sketch into a very living, 3D person. I recommend this book to anyone who wishes to create more vibrant characters.
on February 12, 2012
Where do I begin? The book is outstanding. Characters speak volume and come alive. I studied this book for awhile. The author described different character archetypes that came off the page, breathing. Out of their actions, based on their motivations, plots took birth in my mind! Scenes came alive. I added so much depth to my characters.
The presentation was well done. I saw myself, family, and people I deal with in those classic archetypes.
The feminine and masculine journeys were well done as well. The author brought things out on the plate that I've never thought about. Movies and stories came alive in front of my eyes. That's how roles are created in movies. The book unravels what's done by film directors.
Different gender roles are explained to make paths believable. Also, the author presents different motivations, needs, fears, assets, flaws, and supporting characters to make your story rich and alive. Each archetype is presented by virtue and vice. Presentations are followed with examples taken from different movies.
It's a great way to use this book to write a synopsis as well. Where journeys are presented, the author presents each stage development, which can be put together at the end to be used as a tool for a synopsis of your creation!
I highly recommend this book. What an exciting and rich way to make your characters bloom in front of your eyes.
It is a must have for any writer.
I know that I'll be going back to it. My copy is worn out. I need to order another copy just in case if pages fell off.
on July 15, 2013
I like this book as a reference tool. By looking at some of the classic characters in literature and movies, many of which we are somewhat familiar, I can draw on personalities, behavior, attitudes and actions. For me, this book will help a writer like me to see more in-depth what a particular type of character is thinking and perhaps how he/she got to where they are. Was it abuse, neglect, bad luck, bad timing, anger, etc. This will help me to build new male and female archetypes and how that character will develop.

Victoria Schmidt has done a wonderful job of putting this all together for a better understanding how to develop the journey of a hero or heroine's character arc to enhance and move a story along.

I recommend this book to new and intermediate writers.
on September 12, 2015
It is an excellent book! The book is perfect for any aspiring writer who yearns for guidance in plotting the journey of the characters you create in your stories, both feminine and masculine. It draws from famous movies and novels to aid in this process. It also looks into mythology and jungian psychology to give the aspiring writer more tools to consider. I thank the writer for taking the time and energy in publishing such a wonderful book.
on February 24, 2016
I purchased this book for my own research library, on the recommendation of my daughter Stephanie Huesler who is also an author. I haven't read it in depth as yet, but can see that it will be of much help to me in my own writing. I have authored two children's books, but now am launching out into other genres, and I THANK Victoria Lynn Schmidt for her excellent presentations in this book.