- Paperback: 268 pages
- Publisher: Critical Reader, The; Four edition (July 18, 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0997517867
- ISBN-13: 978-0997517866
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 0.6 x 11 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.4 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 163 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #7,098 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
4th Edition, The Ultimate Guide to SAT Grammar Four Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
That being said, this book is still a great resource for most students. If you are scoring below a 600 on your practice tests, go through the book slowly and thoroughly. Read through the error descriptions carefully, focus on the tips for spotting them, and be sure to go through all the practice problems. If you are scoring above a 600, I would still read through all the error descriptions and strategies, but only do exercises for the errors you make in your own writing or have not seen before.
Above all else, be sure to work through College Board's Official SAT Study Guide to ensure you can apply the errors to actual SAT questions. Use the book's appendix for explanations of all questions from the Official Study Guide. Overall, this book is a great place to learn the grammar rules for the SAT but not a great place to practice them.
* Excellent organization, specifies which errors occur on which problem types
* Only covers what is covered on the SAT
* Good techniques for identifying errors
* Good explanations of grammar rules
* Appendices of questions by topic and questions by test are VERY helpful
* Great combination of teaching grammar and teaching to improve your SAT Writing score
* Does not have enough multiple choice questions. The SAT is known for having multiple answer choices that look correct, so the lack of multiple choice questions is under-preparing you for the real test. This is the book's biggest weakness
* Must be used in conjuction with the Official SAT Study Guide. Not so much a con in itself, but a caveat to those looking for a single, stand-alone SAT Writing book.
* Rewriting sentences is not always an effective way to test knowledge. Some errors, such as misplaced modifiers or parallelism, are hard to rewrite or have more than one correct answer. Since the SAT also asks for the most concise answer, it would have been better to offer multiple choice rather than ask students to waste time trying to write the best answer.
* Needs more examples when explaining the grammar rules. The examples given do not always cover the various ways the rule can be tested.