Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 58 reviews
on March 5, 2003
I had some 5/4 maple to plane down to 3/4. I kept imagining my planer's 4-in dust port sticking out into space like a giant chip spewer, and I was kind of dreading doing the work. I knew I'd have to build in an extra 45 minutes to sweep up, not to mention the "atmosphere" the chips would create during planing.
I got online on Sunday night. Friday when I got home from work, there was the box. Assembled it that evening in my living room and Saturday, hooked it up with the 8' length of hose it comes with (Pretty good hose). I also connected the cyclone chip separator I'd ordered at the same time. By the way, the metal garbage can is becoming a thing of the past. Home Depot and Orchard Supply don't carry them. I went to the neighborhoon hardware store and fit the cap to the can.
After the last board was a smooth, flat, straight 3/4, the air was clear, and in fact the 50-850's bottom bag only had about a pocketful of chips (which you can see because it's clear - I like that). I'd made about 20 gallons of chips, but they all stayed in the metal garbage can.
Maybe even more important, the planer didn't clog up because the chips were drawn away. Previously if I forgot to unplug the machine and sweep it out inside, the chips would either bog down the unit, or worse - they'd get between the knives and the wood, leaving pock marks in the work. I won't plane without a dust collector ever again.
Can you imaginge the smile on my face? If you are getting tired of spending as much time cleaning up as shaping wood, you're ready for this baby.
Also, I was not expecting the four lower bag clips. They make putting the bottom bag on extremely easy. The clips hold the bag in place while you fit the belt on. A snap (literally) for one person with two hands.
Assembly: I used the extra nuts to go belt-and-suspenders attaching the motor to the base. My eight-year-old son held the metal drum in place while I attached the legs, but otherwise it was just one bolt at a time.
Treat yourself. Also, it's the best price in years.
VINE VOICEon June 22, 2005
I purchased this DC about three months ago from Amazon (great deal with no tax, no shipping - 3 day FedEx!, and $25 off). Assembly was easy and fast, taking a little over a half an hour. The instructions where acceptable, but putting it together is straightforward anyway. I used thread locker on the nuts/bolts which is a good idea for stationary machines. I rewired mine for 230V operation which is wise if you have the voltage in your shop. The rewire was very easy and quickly done. The five foot hose that is included is of very high quality, but unfortunately too short for most applications. The machine really moves a lot of air, and you must take care not to suck up large pieces of wood. Small pieces of thin wood doesn't seem to be an issue, but still should be avoided. When using the DC to vacuum up the floor after a day's work, use extreme care not to draw metal parts or anything other than wood shavings/dust/chips. The noise level isn't unbearable but I still wear muffs especially when using it in conjunction with another tool. I only use one port and hook it up to one machine at a time, so I can't rate its ability to draw dust and chips from two machines simultaneously - though I suspect it would be fine. The bag still leaches some dust into the air, so either wear a lightweight respirator or have an air cleaner in your shop. All in all I am pleased with my purchase and my shop is much cleaner now. I would rate this 4.5 stars, but always round down in these cases.
on January 8, 2006
I picked this model after reading much of the information found at [...]

This is a great research start point. I didn't take all of his advice but I used much of it to figure out what was important to buy.

The Delta 50-850 is probably the smallest unit you'd want to buy that can effectively pull dust out of the air in a small shop. I also took other people's advice and bought the 1 micron bag to replace the 30 micron bags that come with the Delta. You get 2 bags in the pack so you're only paying about $45 per bag.

I also bought a trash can lid separator as a second stage collector. I was afraid it would affect pull of the Delta but it seems to have very little effect (I couldn't tell the difference). I put the Delta together in about an hour. The instructions are clear but I think they're wrong in one part (they say to put lock washers under flat washers instead of against the nuts...I put the lock washers against the nuts and everything seems fine). The Delta comes with about 10 feet of hose and 4 3 inch wire hose clamps (as well as clamps and hose for the larger connection between the bags and fan. The Delta comes with 2 30 micron bags and 2 plastic bags to hold sawdust.

I would definately buy the 1 micron bag; buy a trashcan separator; and plan your workshop so you don't have to move the 50-850 around -- it's really too bulky to move around and you'd be better off to attach it to ductwork anyway.
on March 5, 2003
Treat yourself. Also, it's the best price in years.
on July 6, 2002
This unit is better than I expected. The price is good. The box was intact on arrival but the styrofoam was broken. Never-the-less the unit was undamaged. Went together in about a half-hour with no help. Agree with others about the lockwashers. They belong next to the nuts not the bolt heads. Also (and Delta admits this is a problem with several manuals) they never tell you when to tighten the "finger-tighten-only" assemblies. Please don't forget this step or thing will collapse quickly. Also, their "helper" clips for installing the lower bag are unecessary, it's not that hard to do as long as you thread the steel band through the "belt" loops. Don't like their 4" twin-wire hose clamps so I got some stainless band clamps. I intend to convert the motor to 240 volts as I did with my saw. They just work better that way and you have less voltage drop in the cords. An added bonus is an increase in horsepower due to the better magnetic properties of the induction fields in the windings of the motor. Strongly recommend this unit. It will also interface well into a whole-shop 6" piping system.
on June 1, 2007
I waited about a month before making my decision to purchase this dust collection system. Did a lot of reading of diffferent reviews and settled on this one compared to the 760 because the static numbers are higher. Both the 850 and 760 are 1.5 H.P. and both put out 1200 CFM but if you look at all the numbers you will find the 850 is a little more powerful, and right now Amazon has lowered the price twice in two weeks! Now is the time to buy. The only problem I had in receiving this unit is the lower flange that bolted the motor to the cart was bent out of the box! Nothing a rubber mallet couldn't fix but this was done at the factory, there was no visible damage to the box or packaging. Was very easy to put together (45 mins) tops.. I have read a lot of people complaining about install of bottom bag of this unit, Delta has solved that problem too, there are 4 small clips to hold bag in place and the large band clamp. Mine also came with a 5 micron bag, not the 30 it use to come with. I am very happy with this product, Thanks Delta!
on April 5, 2006
I bought this dust collector when I had my shop in a two car garage and thought I would need a bigger one when I finally build a dedicated work shop, but I installed it until I could afford more. That was about a year and a half ago and it is still collecting dust and chips just fine. I have always used a 30 gal garbage can with the 'cyclone' top to catch the large things before they could get to the impeller and it has worked well. I installed a JDS system that turns on the collector whenever a blast gate is open so it forces me to make sure that I keep everthing closed unless I am using it and I have always had plenty of airflow. It is loud, but not in a high-pitched way like a router or a shop vac so it is tolerable. It was delivered with a few dents but nothing of consequence and was easy to assemble.

Yes, I would like the $700.00 plus cyclone collector, but I find that I need other things more since I alread have a collection system that is adequate though not perfect.
on June 2, 2011
This is the 2nd dust collector of this type I've bought. the first one I've had for 11 years. The new improved version works as well but some of the improvements didn't really enhance the performance. The extra leg to hold the bags now makes it more difficult to remove the bag and with it being a plastic bag an increased chance of a big dusty mess. The plastic bag makes it all fun to watch and easy to see when to empty the bag but it is more difficult to get the retaining strap to stay in place than on the fiber bag of old. I've also gotten a lot of dust leakage in spots that used to be sealed really well. all in all it still performs well, just not made as well as the old ones, nothing new about that. Still an affordable, compact, easy to move around dust collector.
on November 21, 2002
First - Great deal ... Ordered on Sunday afternoon - delivered on Thursday afternoon - Perfect condition - Outstanding job. Now the machine - it's big. If you have a small shop like mine this will fill up a big piece of it so be ready. The motor is very heavy duty and seems to run fine on 110v 12/2 wire with 20 amp breaker. Assembly is not bad and took about an hour. Instructions are pretty good but about what we've all come to expect with translation back and forth from English to Chinese. You will need to fully tighten the motor hold down bolts - they forget to tell you. Turned it on with the bare hose (a short length of 4" hose comes with it) hooked up to the lathe. Did some trial turning and it had very good suction - it will be much better when I add a hood. Overall quality seems very good. Base and swivel rollers nice & sturdy, motor is a beast, fit and finish great - no blemishes. Drum support struts varied from picture - they are stamped steel not tubes. Strong enough to do their job though. One surprise was that it came with a plastic bag (and a spare plastic bag) instead of the woven bag shown in the picture. I felt a little bit ripped off for that but since it will get changed out for a pair of 5 micron bags from Penn State who cares? The 30 micron bag is no good unless this thing stays outside the shop. The bottom bag does leak at the flange and would probably benefit from a 20" bicycle tube gasket or duct tape. The unit is surprisingly quiet and nowhere near the noise of a shop vac. I think it's a better deal than the DC1BXL or DC2 from Penn State even after the replacement bags are added.
on December 12, 2005
I was unsure as to which model dust collector to get. They all have the same price in their category, similar specs. Only the paint color and motor seem to be different between models. Ultimately what sold me on this one, was the Delta brand name and the 5 micron bag. Upon delivery (free to my door) setup was a bit involved but nothing a big kid wouldn't enjoy putting together in an evening. Peformance is good, not as powerful as I expected, but I'm using a second stage dust collection separator. I do recommned that as it keeps the main dust collector bag clean of large debris. Also it benefits if you suck up bolts or pieces of wood. There is no protection to the fan blades on the DC. So having a second stage could save you from repairs later.