Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 21, 2013
I decided to take a chance and buy the cheapest one on Amazon. I'm an ophthalmologist and performed 34 cataract surgeries today. I asked my preop staff as well as the nurse anesthetists to directly compare this new unit to our preexisting, expensive medical quality units on patients all during the day. Whether at the high range (97-100% saturation), mid range, or lower range (as low as 83% saturation) there was excellent correlation between the units. And the CMS 50DL actually responded FASTER to rapidly changing conditions than our expensive models. We were all shaking our heads in amazement by the end of the day. I bought it so that my son and I can fly our small plane over the Rocky Mountains this summer on oxygen and make sure we're not hypoxic. This lightweight, accurate fingertip unit will be perfect for our needs.

Update: Flew my plane at 14,000 feet with a bottle of oxygen last weekend. The pulse oximeter did very well with a fast response time. Helped me discover my blood oxygen had fallen to 84% saturation before I started breathing oxygen. I'm still VERY happy with this unit.

Second update: 9/5/14 After two summers of flying across the Rockies the unit is still in perfect working order. I can't say I use it very often, but when I do it's still 100% dependable and reliable.
88 comments| 822 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2012
I am an intensive care nurse and have worked with many types of pulse ox devices. This one is a great product. The digital read out even shows the pleth to let you know how accurate a reading you are getting. I purchased this to help monitor my children at home whom both have had breathing problems. It is easy to use. Comes with everything you need to get started too!!
11 comment| 482 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2015
Out of the box:
- Packaging appears sufficient. Unit come with 2 AAA batteries (non-alkaline?).
- Carrying case is included with velcro closure which is nice. A lanyard is also included which was immediately upcycled into a cat toy.
- The display is in the opposite orientation of the person using it (up-side-down) which makes it a little difficult for self-administered testing as you are to remain still for optimum test results.

*NOTE: I recommend disposing of the supplied batteries as they do not appear to be alkaline or better. These batteries are known for low expected battery life cycle and leaking over time and especially with infrequent use. Battery acid can significantly harm electronic components and insulation resulting in premature circuit failure.

Operation:
- Simple and straight forward, put finger in and go.
- Unit will self-power down after a few idle seconds.

Accuracy:
- Appears to function as advertised. I am going to compare with medical grade equipment and update my review accordingly.
UPDATE: compared to hospital equipment, values were within about 1% during 8 minute comparison. I did note that the refresh rate in this unit was actually faster than the professional unit...impressed!

Long Term Reliability:
- Initial impression based on the visible components and attributes used:
- Cover appears to be snap-fit or perhaps sonic welded.
- Wires used to connect bottom sensor to logic board in top half are wrapped in tubing and are sightly exposed in the rear of the unit. It is unclear if there is any strain relief on these wires. There is a slight risk of wire continuity failure due to flexure of wires during normal operation (open/ close finger clamp).
- Both labeling and device serial number are laser etched. This is a pricey process when compared to standard poly labels and is indicative of an advanced manufacturing facility.
- Device is made in China by Contec, an FDA registered company (Reg# 3006979678) whom also make EKG machines and other sophisticated medical devices.
Overall Risk for LTR= Low for average consumer usage, LOW-MEDIUM for regular/ vigorous use due to possible wire flexure failure.
- Demonstrated LTR is pending use.

Overall Verdict:
- Good for the average Joe/ Jane and can't beat the price.
on May 2, 2016
Package was sufficient. The item also comes with 2 AAA batteries - I did not use these batteries - I chose to use fresh ones that I had just purchased.
There is a carrying case included with velcro closure which is nice. A lanyard is also included which does seem a bit useless - but some may disagree
The display is up-side-down if you are checking it for yourself - which makes it a little difficult to read - but not a game ender.
Easy to use - put your finger in and push the button.
Unit will self-power off after a few idle seconds.

Appears to function as advertised. - Very inexpensive but reliable. I have compared this unit to devices used in the hospital - very close every time.

I am very satisfied with my purchase. This is a unit for my mother who has COPD. She needs to be very aware of what her O2 level is at all times. I have weaned her off of using O2 as a supplement and would like to keep it that way.

Made in China.
on February 1, 2016
I purchased this pulse oximeter from ChoicMed for my 3 year old asthmatic daughter. After receiving this oximeter in and the batteries were correctly placed into the unit, I had problems with the unit staying on. It would power on them automatically turn itself off. At first I thought it was an issue with it not being able to detect my daughter o2 stats since her finger is so little but it wouldn't stay on long enough to get a reading from my husband or myself. Thankfully, the ChoiceMed was nice enough to replace the original unit for me. Customer service was amazing and very quick to help me. Unfortunately, the second unit that I was sent wouldn't read my daughter's stats. Her finger was too little for the unit to pick it up. If you are looking for a oximeter for an adult this one is perfect but I would not suggest it for a young child.
on March 4, 2016
Bought this for my GF (LPN) 6.5 months ago. It worked awesome (until it didn't work at all) and she loved it. She only used it on the side when the one where she works was in use. YES I know it is intended for pilot & sport use only. And yes I checked the batteries and tried 2 different sets of new ones. :)

For the price I can't complain but I had hoped it would have made it at least a year. I will order a different brand this time at a higher price point and see if it turns out better.

Again, if you are looking for a cheap part time use O2/HB sensor this is a nice little unit and I would still say it was about worth the money but if you plan to use it a little more often you may want to plan on a new one in 6 months. THEN AGAIN, maybe I just got a fluke it does happen some times.

Have an awesome day :) if I can answer any questions for you, let me know!
Fred
on April 30, 2015
I am on full time oxygen and need to keep close track of where my saturation level is, as it goes way down when I'm active and I have to turn my machine higher. I also have a problem with a high pulse rate and need to keep track of that also. I bought a pulse oximeter almost 10 years ago, first using it when on a treadmill, and then using it more often when I went on full time oxygen. It cost $60 10 years ago and has worked like a champ ever since until lately, when I decided I really needed a new one.

Our finances have changed over the past 10 years and I was very happy to see that prices on these little gadgets have gone down considerably. I got mine delivered yesterday. First problem--the box does not include batteries. It says batteries not included right on the outside of the box. I did a series of readings, which seem to be in line with my old one which I've checked against my dr's every time I go in so I consider it accurate. However, and this is a big "however", it's very erratic when turning itself off. I'm very good at tossing it in my purse and occasionally the button gets pushed accidentally. My old one always shuts back down in seconds. This one does not. On one of my tries it never shut down at all--i let it go more than a minute, then had to put my finger in it and take a reading in order to get it to turn off. The instructions say it shuts off in 5 seconds. I found it shuts off in 5 seconds,, or 7, or 25, or 30, or never.

The auto shut off is just too unreliable for me. I'll be sending it back to Amazon and finding another brand.
on May 10, 2015
I looked forward to receiving this product, and was glad when it arrived here at my nursing home. I looked for batteries but none were included. Swell. One of the nurses found two new AAA batteries, installed them correctly, and pressed the white button. The device did not light up.. She then borrowed the batteries from her own device, which was working. Once again - nada. The device does not work.

I do not think it was damaged in transit. I think that it left the manufacturer without being tested. This suggests poor quality control and that, even if replaced it may not function as accurately or long as other brands. I have too much to achieve in the time that remains to me. The thought of the logistics involved in making a return is more than I want to mess with. It's not heavy enough for a paperweight, so into the trash it goes. .
on May 31, 2016
I have several medical issues where my stats and heart rate tend to be abnormal and I needed to have something convienient that I can use and check when I'm out or whenever so after looking at many positive reviews I decided to chose this one. I'm not quite sure if it's super accurate though because numerous times I manually checked and they didn't always match up but they are usually pretty close. Also I'm not sure how if there is a limit to how high the heart rate on this goes because I've been over the number it read before as well. I understand you aren't going to get a perfect reading unless you do it manually so I give this 3 stars because most of the time it's usually pretty close but maybe could use a little perfecting.
on December 16, 2014
The design of this thing has an amazing battery install flaw. A weirdness I have never seen before in any product. Ordinarily when deciding on how to align a battery you can just look at the battery compartment and see where the spring is. The springs virtually always push on the flat side of the battery, its negative terminal, but not in this product!

This gadget takes two AAA batteries (not included). I installed the batteries with the springs as my guide, and it would not power up. When I removed the batteries, I noticed +/- polarity marking were indicated in the plastic (under the batteries). It showed one battery is to be mounted normally with the spring pushing against the flat side, while the other battery must be mounted REVERSED with the positive tip pushing into the spring, a less reliable contact. But flipping the oddball battery fixed the problem, the device powered up, so you need to follow +/- polarity marking in the plastic when installing the batteries, even though from the spring point of view it looks wrong.

(update) A strong the pulse bar reading indicate good finger placement, and this will give the most accurate readings. I know your pulse is your pulse, but for fun I listened to my heart with a stethoscope while watching the pulse bar. They agreed perfectly.