Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
asked by K. Mann on December 23, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 answers
A
The image quality of the 50mm f/1.8 is as good as the f/1.4.
What the f/1.8 lacks is build quality and has a 5 blade aperture.
What the f/1.4 lacks is ring type USM focusing.
For a lens that has all of this, look at the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens
So I'd recommend you get the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens now, and get the Sigma when you need and can afford a better lens.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_50_1p4_c16/
Tom Martin answered on December 23, 2009
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I own the 1.8, and the ghosting and refractions are absolutely terrible at night. Probably poor lens coatings; which probably is one reason they can sell this for 1/4 the price of a good 50mm! Anyway, for $80 I'm glad I bought it because even if I read this type of review I still would want to try it myself; but I'll be getting the 1.4 as soon as I can. By the way, I compared the 1.8 and 1.4 at the store here.. Don't think that ".4" makes much difference? The f/1.4 aperture has about TWICE the area of the 1.8; it looks like all glass; the 1.4 is just amazing. See my pic.
GearGuy answered on March 16, 2010
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Esteban Sanchez Leenheer answered on November 2, 2010
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Go for the f/1.8. I own it and it is incredibly sharp for such an affordable price. I don't see any reason to buy the 1.4.
Gabriel G. Nunes answered on December 23, 2009
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Anonymous, I would just get the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens, as you kids get older you'll want a slightly longer lens for gymnasium sports, plays, concerts, etc. The Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens is ideal for that. No use spending a lot of money for a 50mm.
Tom Martin answered on March 31, 2010
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hello, I'm new to DSLR, and pretty much a novice. I really like the images I see taken with this lens, and would love to play around with it. My question is, is this lens compatible with a rebel xs? I see that this is a pretty old version lens, and a lot of people seem to use this lens with xt. I know I sound ignorant, but any help will be appreciated!
Maliha Mannan answered on September 2, 2010
Comment | 2 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
My husband wants a macro lens (looking at the f/2.5) but uses the camera mostly for baby pictures. He's also new to photography. In this case, would you recommend the f/1.4 or the f/1.8? Thanks.
Anonymous answered on March 31, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, this lens works fine with a Rebel XS.
Tom Martin answered on September 3, 2010

A
Thank you so much!
Maliha Mannan answered on September 3, 2010

A
STUMP says: Looking for a good lens for indoor sports (basketball) any input would be helpful on which lens would work in low light situations...

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
Tom Martin answered on June 9, 2010
Comment | 0 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product