Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Size: 58 mm|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,421 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,545 reviews
on October 6, 2016
Came here to purchase another B+W filter, and here's why...

...last night my wife came home from a photoshoot a little flustered. It was a bit overcast and some of the photos didn't turn out as well as she thought they could have. I was upstairs replacing some light bulbs, but had left the ladder downstairs. My wife bounced around the ladder, but had forgotten to snap the cover shut on the camera bag that she uses, and out flops her camera, lens first.

Now let me backup here. My wife shoots weddings/families/portraits with a Canon 6D with L series lenses: the 24-70 f/2.8L II, the 70-200 f/2.8L II, the 100mm macro, the Sigma 50mm ART lens, etc... They have had B+W filters on them all for the past three years, and they've been great. Tack sharp images all around. No perceivable loss of quality whatsoever. They're also a cheap form of insurance for your nice lenses. I don't know if you've looked up the price of the Canon 24-70L II recently, but let's just say it's still upwards of $1,700.

Now back to the camera flopping out of the camera bag. The lens hit the (carpeted) floor directly on the lens cap, crunching the B+W filter glass in the process. Horrified, I gently pried the glass out of the filter to check the (certain) damage to the front element of the lens. To my pleasant surprise, once the filter glass had been removed, there wasn't a SINGLE scratch on the actual lens glass. Not one. Attached is a pic of the damage.

This $60 filter saved our $1,700 lens. And that's exactly why I'm buying another one.
review image
22 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2012
There seems to perpetually be some discussion regarding filters, no filters, expensive filters, cheap filters, on and on. Well, I personally believe in using filters, and going with branded, but cheap.

Well, maybe not anymore.

I've personally used a 67mm Tiffen UV protection filter for about 4 years. I recently purchased a EF-S 17-85 IS USM, and decided that instead of just buying another 67mm Tiffen, I'd invest in a B+W MRC filter and see what all the hype is about.

This review is not about the physical protective characteristics of the filter, no review is done on the MRC coating of the B+W.

The two filters are physically very similar, both are slim filters, and both feel very nice in the hand. The B+W has brass lettering (the filter itself is made from brass) while the Tiffen is aluminum, with enamel lettering. Both are very well built. The B+W is somewhat better labeled, with labels that are less likely to get damaged located on the inside of the filter ring. The Tiffen has slightly rougher knurling, and i lighter than the B+W, but the feel of the B+W is slightly better.

When it comes to filters, we're most concerned about filter flare. I have noticed slightly better color depth on the B+W, but this is somewhat subjective and easily corrected in post-processing.

If you choose to use a filter, the B+W is worth it. If you're not sure if you want to use a filter, I personally will continue to use my B+W. While i understand small scratches on my 70-200 are minor, I value the resale value of my lens, and I also work in the rain, with sand, and accidents happen - you will touch your lens one day. I would personally rather accidentally scratch my filter than my lens.

Additionally a common cause of scratching is cleaning your lens with a speck of sand under the cloth. This can happen to anyone, and again, I'd rather scratch the filter than the lens.

Also take a look at the images I've uploaded. I have also posted this review with the Tiffen.
review image review image
88 comments| 384 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 23, 2015
Sometimes I forget I have these filters installed. I purchased 2 of these 47mm filters for my A7 camera lenses, one for the Sony FE 28mm f/2 lens, and the other for the Sony 55mm F/1.8 lens. They are crystal clear and keep my lenses well protected. I have not noticed any additional reflections compared to without the filter. While I'm sure they help with bright sunlight shooting situations, I'm using them primarily as lens protection. They also work well with the lens hoods for my lenses.
review image review image review image review image
on December 14, 2013
If you want something a bit better than Vivitar, Tiffen, or Hoya but not as much as Heliopan (the best!), B + W is a good option. They are well made.
I have been a SLR then DSLR photographer for 37 years. Also medium and large format too.
I think using a clear or UV filter is a good idea for protection. Not all out dropping a lens on camera on concrete from a window or even your car roof. That will destroy a lens with or without a filter. But rather for incidental spray (camel spit, water, etc.) and scrape and bump damage. Rain, keys, brick walls, crowds, travel, etc. The filter and the metal rim can take all that and even be mucked up. But the lens is *behind* that minor stuff.
But a direct hit on the center, with or without a filter, the lens and the filter will *both* be toast.
Pros will say do not use or they do not use a filter. Hey, if your gear is not your gear or you are a top pro with $$ or it is owned by a publisher, company, school, etc. you work for – no problem. If it breaks, they can just go buy another $200 to $2000+ lens. But freelancers and hobbyists cannot!
I say, compromise, use a good filter with good glass that is not too expensive. B + W is a good medium pick.
If you still have the kit lenses, just use Tiffen or cheaper brand filters or, none at all. Those lenses are cheap anyway. But if a lens is good or expensive, use a UV filter for minor protection of the front bezel and element.
on September 21, 2016
This image is of my 77mm UV filter that served me insanely well since about 2010. After a long trip and pack up my gear, the worst happened. I dropped my camera over hard wood and it landed on the glass. I was terrified, horror-struck and dreading the damage to my 2.8f 28-70. On closer inspection, it only damaged the filter.

While I had to use two pair of vice-grips to screw it off, my beloved filter saved my lens.

I was mostly lucky and an idiot, but I am extremely thankful for the fine craftsmanship and solid construction. This, coupled with years of amazing service prompted me to order an immediate replacement.

Thank you for your fine product Schneiderkreuznach! You have a loyal customer!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 22, 2017
All you can say when you work with these B+W filters made by Schneider optical is that they are superb. Even the tactile feeling of the filter when you pick it up provides evidence that you are dealing with a superior product, kind of the like "the BMW of the the photography world" (which you can easily arrive at by replacing the "+" with a "W" in the name!). It's not to say there are not other excellent filters out there. There are. The Hoya brand, made primarily in Japan, also makes some truly impressive filters, both haze and circular polarizing, to name but two types, and I use these, as well due to their quality. But these B+W filters are just incredibly well made, and you can tell the minute you pick them up. They are made in Germany.

This 43mm filter is a somewhat odd size that you'll need for Fuji's new 35mm f/2 prime lens and perhaps lenses from other brands. The filter itself is constructed using Schott glass, is very thin, and is mounted in an anodized matte black ring to reduce reflections. It's not a terribly expensive filter because of its small size, particularly in relationship to the cost of that lens you are putting it on! The screw threads are superbly cut, making a smooth on and off experience when changing the filter for a circular polarizer (and, as you have heard before, don't over-tighten the filter, or you'll be in rough shape trying to get it off: this applies to ALL filter brands and types). The filter presents itself with the slightest tinge of shading when you look through it, with light transmission measured at extremely high levels. The filter is designed to help with UV absorption which can theoretically remove the so-called "blue cast" result on some cameras.

The nano-coating makes cleaning the filter, which you are always going to need to do periodically, much easier than on other filters. Also a nice touch, the square case with the embedded pad is really nice: I wish all filters came this way, or that these cases themselves could be purchased separately.

If you read the information provided at the top of the Amazon page from the manufacturer itself, you’ll find all you need to know about this filter. As with the many other reviews you see posted here, I can easily say this is one of the best filters on the market, and if you are not adverse to the price differential, I would definitely go with this one first. If not, look at the high-end Hoya filters, but you might surprisingly find not much of a price difference, depending on the specific model. I can say it would be nice to have a complete set of B+W filters for all my lenses!
on April 6, 2016
I've given up on using lens caps and have put these filters on all of my lenses as a permanent/transparent lens cap of sorts. It's less to keep track of and if I get any dirt or fingerprints on my lens I don't feel bad for using a t-shirt to wipe any smudges off. I recently had to purchase another 72mm to replace the one I had on my Canon 35mm 1.4L that broke after my camera took a tumble. Aside from the filter that broke, nothing else was damaged. Putting anything in front of your lens is only going to degrade image quality, so if you're going to do it, use good glass. The glass on these B+W filters is some of the best coated glass you can find. You never know, it could save your lens too.
on February 2, 2016
I had no idea a humble UV filter could be an object of wonder. I've tried filters from Tiffen and Hoya, but they always had issues with reflections, especially at night. Strange light blobs would appear like turquoise UFOs, but I'm too protective of my lenses to leave them bare. So for a long time I simply put up with those oddities, resigned to the idea that they were an unavoidable compromise of keeping my lenses protected. Then I discovered B+W, and saw the light—or rather, stopped seeing the light blobs.

After I threaded the filter on, I promptly forgot it was there. That was two years ago, and it's been flawless ever since. It's easy to clean, hard to scratch, and gives me the peace of mind I need to take photos in sand, snow, and rain. I can't recommend this more highly; it's a marvel of the glassmaker's craft, and in over 3000 images with it, I've yet to see any penalty to image quality. Given how cheaply Amazon sells these, there's simply no reason—besides an attraction to self-inflicted suffering—to buy a lesser filter. Get one and don't look back!
on December 10, 2013
I wish I had just ordered this filter in the beginning. These are really expensive and cause you to pause when you need to outfit seven really expensive L series Canon lenses. This is not the place to try and save some money, especially if you do any professional shooting.

I originally went with HOYA top of the line MRC filters which are a bit less expensive. Unfortunately, if they get dirty, it is almost impossible to get them clean again - especially if the dirt on the filter is oily like finger prints or skin oil. No matter which optical cleaning solution you use they will leave a very slight haze on the filter and this is after almost 20 minutes of cleaning. Not a good thing to happen during a shoot when the talent and crew are standing around waiting for you.

I then tested the B+W non MRC filters, these are good as long as no light source is in the frame - you will have ghosting especially at night. For about 30 additional dollars you get the MRC version and this is at the top of the filter hierarchy. I had previously worked in Motion Pictures and the B+W coatings are far superior to all the different brands I have previously worked with doing film.

Finally, I bit the bullet and ordered a bunch of the B+W MRC filters. They are perfect and clean very easily. I am slowly but surely replacing all my other filters with these exceptional filters. I also use one of their circular polarizers (had to sell a kid to afford it) but it is amazing and produces great results at the right angles.

Summary: This is the top of the line absolute best filter for UV haze protection that is easy to clean, durable and very high quality construction. The only downside is they are very expensive.
on February 3, 2017
Have had this filter for only 4 months. Now the glass filter is sliding around inside the metal filter ring. Never ever had that happen before. This filter has been on a camera lens and not suffered any abuse. Unfortunately I also purchased a B&W polarizing filter about 6 weeks ago and wondering what will go wrong with that. Past the 30 day return period so I am stuck with it.