Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on March 14, 2015
Like many others who left reviews here before me, I received a unit whose fan wobbled significantly. I did not see anything that was obviously bent during my inspection, so I cannot be sure if the issue was due to poor QA at the factory or rough handling by UPS. I suppose it would be easier to eliminate UPS as the potential culprit if Jet's packaging was not so poor.

I normally wouldn't review a defective product since I don't believe such reviews are a fair reflection of the product. A defective product is usually an anomaly. That said, I believe it's fair to ding this product since literally dozens of the reviews here document similar issues with the fan. In fact, some of those reviews describe fans bent so badly that they would not even rotate. Thus, I wouldn't classify my issue as an anomaly. It may not be typical, but it also doesn't appear to be extremely unusual either. In my opinion, you are rolling the dice when you buy this product...at least if it is being shipped to you.

It's really unfortunate since the unit has great features and specs. It moves a TON of air, is fairly quiet, and the remote is handy, provided it works in your shop. Apparently, fluorescent lights near the unit will prevent the unit from receiving the signals from the remote. That was not an issue for me, but it's worth considering if you will have fluorescent lights close to your planned mounting location.

My recommendations:

1) Buy the product locally if you can. Doing so will eliminate the rough handling of residential delivery and also make a return far easier than what I just went through if you receive a damaged or defective unit. Home Depot has a free "ship to store" option and their price often matches Amazon's price on this product.

2) Regardless of where you purchase it, don't open the hardware package and start assembling the hanging brackets until after you have verified that the fan works and is balanced properly. You don't need anything in the hardware bag to test it. Instead, just do the following:

- Remove the unit from the box and the plastic bag
- Set the unit on a pair of sawhorses, a workbench, or some other rigid surface where it will be clear if the unit is out of balance and vibrating when it is operating (not on carpet)
- Remove both air filters and set them aside
- Remove the four stabilizing Styrofoam blocks from the interior of the unit
- Reinstall the inner bag filter (to ensure you catch anything that you suck in during the test), but leave the first stage filter off (so you don't have to remove it from the plastic)
- Make sure you don't have any loose items near the intake side
- Plug the unit in and turn it on
- Observe the squirrel cage fan through the grill to see if it is wobbling
- Monitor the unit for any unusual vibration or grinding noises

If it passes that inspection, then you can open the hardware bag to test the remote control.

Seriously, take my word for it - you don't want to go to the trouble of hanging this thing before you realize it has an issue. Learn from my mistakes.

And for the folks who received an undamaged unit from Amazon, congrats. Sincerely. You folks are the reason that I didn't award this product just 1 star. Use it in good health. ;)

Regards,
Steve
11 comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 13, 2017
 I recently purchased a JET AFS-1000B last month and recently got it installed in my garage. Yesterday, at the end of the day, I left the room and turned off the lights. When I returned 2-hours later, I could hear a loud humming noise and a burning smell coming from the JET air filter. I immediately unplugged everything. If you search the Amazon reviews, you'll see other 1-star customers with this dangerous issues. It seems to be related to fluorescent lights? However, I run only LED lights in my garage. I just don’t understand and now all the air coming out of the filter smells like burnt plastic. Plus, I’m just afraid of this unit, as this filter is in my garage, right below my bedroom.

I contacted my local electrician and he said the issue is with the unit.

I attached a video of what is happening

Again, all my shop lights are LED-based lights. There’s not a single CFL or Fluorescent fixture anywhere in the house. I contacted JET customer support, crossing my fingers they will let me return this unit.]
on June 6, 2017
I finally sucked it up and bought one, and I'm glad I did. It arrived on time and with a small dent on the corner seam, just cosmetic. I got it bolted to the ceiling and turned on. I cut a few parts on a CNC plasma table, with a bit of welding and grinding. (I have a home welding shop.) Maybe 3-4 hours worth of work. When I shut everything down for the night you couldn't tell the filter started out blue, it was brown. (Its worth mentioning that my plasma table has a downdraft system which takes all the fumes, and blows them directly outside.) My only regret is I didn't purchases one of these sooner. Well worth the money! Your lungs will be happier.
on March 22, 2017
Works good although arrived with a dent. The one thing I would like is to have it come on when I power my vacuum. It will not turn on when power is turned on. It has to be started with its own remote. Also the remote does not work from behind the unit. Eventually, when I can get someone to help me, I will turn the unit around. Meanwhile I have to walk around my work bench to turn it on.
on February 6, 2018
Unit works well after I fixed it!
WORST QUALITY CONTROL I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!
BODY: UNIT ARRIVED BENT IN 3 PLACES (NOT MUCH-BUT NOT PERFECT EITHER).
FAN: SQUIRREL CAGE FAN ATTACHMENT HAS 4 SCREWS. ONE WAS CROSSTHREADED, ONE LOOSE, ONE COMPLETLY OUT
AND ONE ONLY GOD KNOWS.
HAD TO REMOVE THE CAGE COMPLETELY (NO ROOM ) TO FIX THE SCREWS/HOLES. THIS REQUIRED CUTTING ALL WIRES TO THE CONTROLS. CONNECTORS WERE THEN ADDED FOR FUTURE REPAIRS SHOULD THEY BE NEEDED.
FAN WAS UNBLANCED.(FIXED THAT) I PLACED UINT ON TOP OF 8 FT CABINET. IF I WAS TO HANG IT I WOULD REINFORCE THE HANGING POINTS. YOU MAY ASK WHY DIDN'T I SEND IT BACK? I AM SORRY TO SAY THAT EVERYTHING TODAY NOT MADE IN THE USA IS CRAP AND I KNOW THAT I WILL HAVE TO REPAIR IT ANYWAYS. IT IS SAD THAT BIG BUSINESS PLACES PROFITS AHEAD OF QUALITY. WORSE CONSUMERS ARE FORCED TO ACCEPT IT. WOULD I PAY MORE FOR USA GOODS? HELL YES!!!
on October 7, 2014
The first surprise was how large the unit is. And the reviewer that writes that the unit is lightweight must be a very BIG guy!!! It takes two to carry or lift it. I was going to bolt mine to the ceiling, but I have my workshop in an enclosed porch (24' x 12') and the porch ceiling would cave in, if I tried to attach the unit to it. That said, I decided to build a platform 4 feet high, using 2' x 6's and 3/4" plywood for the surface. I've only had the unit running about 3 hours, but the air smells cleaner already and I see no dust. I like the IR remote. I can point it at the back of my unit without a hitch. I also like the unit's 3-speed and auto-shutoff, too. I have a good dust collection system, but it wasn't nearly enough. (Have you ever noticed that your power miter saw sucks when collecting sawdust?) This uni completes my workshop. I love it.
on February 16, 2016
Even on low setting, does excellent job removing fines from 350 square foot shop. I have relatively low 8' ceilings in my finished garage wood shop. Main area is about 18' x 18' with a smaller 5'x 6' area. I set it up as recommended, near a wall so that you get a swirling air current going in the room.

Overall, reasonably quiet and powerful. I am pleased with this purchase, got it on sale so it was a great value
on October 19, 2017
Very effective unit . The timer allows leaving the unit on to clear air after I leave the shop. Filter change is easy with 2 flip clamps to remove filters, Fan is very powerful and will create currents in the shop. Have an older model JDS and it is no where near what this unit can do.
on February 15, 2011
I'm thoroughly satisfied with this Jet Air Filter. My shop is 30 by 40 feet with open ceiling joists, so there is a large volume of air for this unit to handle. Hanging it was simple - my joists are 4 ft. on center so I just nailed up 4 joist hangers,cut two 2X4s to fit, bolted the unit to the 2X4s with lag screws, and dropped it in place. I was pleasantly surprised at how complete the package is. All kinds of hardware for installing the unit are included, even batteries for the remote. There's also a Velcro sticky pad setup for mounting the remote. My filter is relatively quiet, certainly no louder than a hand sander, and exhibits no vibration at any speed. Other reviewers expressed problems with interference from fluorescent lamps but my filter is unaffected by these fixtures. I like being able to set the timer and leave the shop. And yes, the air stays much cleaner. As others have said, I should have gotten one of these years ago. It rates a solid 5 stars in my book. I shopped around and couldn't find as good a deal as Amazon anywhere.
on July 27, 2013
I have a 19'x24' woodworking shop that has an 8' ceiling. I have two windows and one door on this shop and I have tried all shorts of window fans and ventilation systems short of an expensive dust collection system that I don't have room for. Nothing works as well as this unit in clearing the dust from the air in seconds without having to open up my shop when I use my power tools. I installed it to the ceiling in the exact center of my shop and have never had to use the highest speed to quickly clean the dust from the air. I still use a respirator when using my power tools but now I can remove the respirator within minutes of using the tools. The remote works very well from all angles and the unit does not make that much noise. I am glad I purchased this product and no longer have to open my shop to the heat or cold whenever I use my power tools.