Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Style Name: 7258 with 100 Stitches & Programmable Needle|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,299 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,512 reviews
on November 27, 2016
I've been sewing for over 50 years (No, I'm not old, I just started really young). I've used Brother, Pfaff, and Singer sewing machines, but Singer has always been my #1 sewing machine of choice as it was my mother's before me. I bought this Singer to give to my teenage granddaughter to learn on, but ended up liking it so much that I kept it and gave my granddaughter my 20 year old Singer. This machine has all the features that I used the most often on my old machine plus a few more. My favorite features that this machine has that my old one didn't, is (1) the self threading needle, (2) the clear, see-thru bobbin case so you always know how much bobbin thread you have left (3) the drop down needle position feature for easy pivoting around corners, and (4) the thread cutter.
Although I've made my own garments for years, I now have a small handbag business. I considered buying an industrial machine because I often sew on really thick fabrics like denim, but this machine easily sews through 4 layers of denim with interfacings! I also make alot of clothing from knit fabric and love the stretch stitches available on this machine. This machine is a real workhorse and I give it a 5 thumbs up!!
I have no negatives at all to say about this machine except that I wish the storage compartment was a little larger.
22 comments| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2016
I'm new to sewing. I love this sewing machine. I've made t-shrits for me and dresses and stuff for my niece. I literally never sewed before but this sewing machine was perfect. It's solid and has everything you need to get started. Now that I'm a little more seasoned (i.e. I've been sewing for a couple of months) I want one that can do more stuff, but to be honest buying anything more fancy for someone who sews as hobby isn't really necessary.
review image review image review image review image review image
33 comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2013
I got this sewing machine for mother's day this year. I haven't sewn since I was a child and I was a little nervous so I watched the ready, set, sew! DVD first. Immediately after I was done with that, I wound a bobbin and threaded the machine. Both were very easy to do! I have already made two dresses for my two year old and some pillowcases for a friend! This is the perfect machine from a beginner. It is fool proof!
review image
11 comment| 452 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2014
I purchased the 7258 as a gift for my daughter in December.

I was putting the machine through it's paces with 5 pairs of denim jeans which I was hemming. I hemmed 4 pairs without issue. However, on the 5th pair of jeans, I received a pin prick near my thumb which drew blood. At first i thought that I must of stabbed myself on the many sharp parts near the eye of needle (I was threading the needle at the time). Fair enough, I continued with caution as this was a machine that was new to me.

Then it happened again. I received a much larger cut, 1/4" which again drew blood and was very similar to a very deep paper cut. Then I saw what was causing the cuts to my hand. It seems that the thread cutting guard broke (see attached pictures) exposing the razor blade. The piece of plastic which covers the blade can easily be broken. I had used the thread cutting features a few times and while using it I thought it was a nice feature. But it is poorly implemented. I'm not sure what caused the guard to break but the machine was not moved nor anything fell or touched the machine. I suspect the fabric got caught on it and snapped it. The plastic is thin and brittle so a thicker fabric could easily get snagged and break the plastic...and you wouldn't know it.

I would consider this a safety issue and a huge design flaw. It can cause bodily injury if you are unaware the guard broke off. Since you have to access the presser foot lever from behind the machine and fiddle with fabric back there, you can easily put a nice long gash on your arm or hand that may require stitches if you brush up on the exposed blade.

If you have this thread cutting tool, please remove it before you or someone using the machine gets hurt.

Removing the blade is easy to do and all that is required is a philips head screwdriver (the one that looks like a.. + ).

Please refer to your owners manual for instructions on how to remove the cover. Once the cover is off, there is one screw that holds the cutter in place. Remove the screw, remove the blade and toss it in the trash!

The machine itself is nice however, I can only give it one star due to the poor design of the thread cutter.

Please watch yourselves!
review image review image review image
1313 comments| 485 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2017
Best inexpensive machine out there. As a quilter, I spent my big money on a free-motion Juki, but this little back-up and fancy stitch machine sews rings around the expensive all-purpose machines that my quilting buddies have. I own two of them- one at home and one at our vacation home because they are so affordable. I especially LOVE the start/stop button, which allows me to sew foot-free. I get more hours at the machine when I don't have to press the accelerator with my foot. Love this baby!
on December 19, 2011
I recently purchased this sewing machine because I got tired of having to go to my mom's to use hers. She has an old Singer machine (she wasn't sure of the model because she bought it from a school who was replacing all of theirs years ago) and I just loved it. It was straightforward to use and I could operate it without many hitches. I wanted to find a machine that was comparable to this old one. I'm not an expert sewer, so I didn't need anything extravagant; however, I do know enough of what I'm doing that I did want something that had some neat features.

This one was not as good as the old one - it was MUCH better! It is so easy to use. Threading the machine is a breeze; all the directions are printed on the actual machine. Winding a bobbin is a cinch. I love that there is a built-in thread cutter. Changing stitch patterns is super easy, and you can see an example of what the stitch will look like easily because it is printed right below the keypad. There are a couple of features I really didn't think I would care too much about, but I have ended up loving--the speed control feature, and the needle position feature. The speed control allows you to go as fast or slow as you want. You can set the speed to slow when you have a lot of intricate work to go through and the machine won't "take off" on you because you've pushed the pedal down too far. The needle position feature was also great. With a simple push of a button, the needle will stop in the "down" position so you don't pull material out of line with where you want to be sewing. My husband walked by while I was working on something the other night and said, "Wow that thing is really quiet, aren't they usually a lot louder??" - the machine is SO quiet, and I love that.

The only problem I have with the machine, and thus the 4-star rating (if I could have given it a 4 1/2 star I totally would have), is that it doesn't sew thick material very well. I was making a pair of sweat pants, and when I tried sewing down the waistband, it locked up and beeped. It was pretty dang thick though, and I really don't plan on sewing anything like that very often, so it's not a huge deal for me.

All in all, this is a fantastic machine. I would recommend this for anyone looking for a high quality machine that's simple to use.

UPDATE: I have used my machine so much over the past couple of months, and I still havent had a single problem with it! I still stand by my review that this is an AWESOME little machine!
review image
44 comments| 354 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2017
I am a novice sewer (i.e. I sewed once in the 6th grade and I remember all of 0%), and this machine was incredibly easy to use. It came with any and all accessories I would need, clear instructions, and I was able to watch the Ready Set Sew video and get started that very first day. I made a quick and easy tote that I found a tutorial online for and the machine was fantastic. It really is so SIMPLE to use for a beginner and it made me feel like a pro.
on September 22, 2013
This is my very first sewing machine (excluding my mom's machine from the 70s that had one function and couldn't go through more than 1 layer of thin cotton). I absolutely love it! I have put it through the test of a beginner not knowing what she's doing at all. I love all the different stitching patterns and I am really excited to use more than just the straight line. I have made a few items, including a beach quilt, a bag, and some jazzed up dish towels. I was able to use the button feature which was amazing! I still take it slow when attaching the button itself, but making the button hole is SO easy! I never would have thought a beginner like me would be able to accomplish that, but its definitely thanks to the machine. I would definitely recommend this sewing machine to others, especially beginners. It is a little pricey for a first sewing machine but its worth it!
on May 12, 2017
The Singer 7258 is a fantastic machine for arts and crafts enthusiasts who are not professional seamstresses. In addition to being compact and light, the fully automated features make sewing for the novice or infrequent artisan easy! The buttonhole feature adjusts to the size of whatever button you plan to use and is fully automated....all you have to do is place the button in the holder and position the needle at the desired starting point...it does the rest. The ability to set speed manually on the face of the machine is great so you don't have to worry about how much pressure you put on the foot pedal, unlike my original Singer from 1980 .... technology is great! You can also work without the foot pedal if you prefer.

The machine has a wide variety of routine and utility stitches, in addition to a large assortment of decorative stitches, all fully programmed and adjustable by the user to fit their desired application. It comes with an assortment of feet, including an embroidery foot, allowing you to use the machine for appliques or fine needlework from a pattern or your own design. In addition to presser feet, the machine comes with several accessories, including a plastic dust cover. The built-in handle makes this easy to take along for events or for a crafting get together. I recommend a soft case, rather than the traditional hard plastic shell, as it is lighter and holds supplies without adding unnecessary weight. The Singer universal sewing machine tote is fine, although rather boring in plan black, but I prefer the one made by Embroidex because it is a bit roomier with added zipper areas and pretty patterns.Floral Sewing Machine Carrying Case - Carry Tote Universal
on February 20, 2017
I bought this on a whim after taking my dog's bed to the upholstery shop too many times and I AM NOT SORRY!!!! I don't know how to sew or how to work a machine. Can you say "beginner"??? But I had this baby up and running within 10 minutes. I've already completed two projects and it was SO easy to use - very fool proof. I'm wandering around my house wondering what else I can sew. Although I am a beginner and this suits me, I have no doubt that it would be wonderful for those with lots of experience as well. I love this machine!!!!