Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services gotcatchup gotcatchup gotcatchup  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Style Name: 7258 with 100 Stitches & Programmable Needle|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,242 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,439 reviews
on July 23, 2016
I'm new to sewing. I love this sewing machine. I've made t-shrits for me and dresses and stuff for my niece. I literally never sewed before but this sewing machine was perfect. It's solid and has everything you need to get started. Now that I'm a little more seasoned (i.e. I've been sewing for a couple of months) I want one that can do more stuff, but to be honest buying anything more fancy for someone who sews as hobby isn't really necessary.
review image review image review image review image review image
on November 27, 2016
I've been sewing for over 50 years (No, I'm not old, I just started really young). I've used Brother, Pfaff, and Singer sewing machines, but Singer has always been my #1 sewing machine of choice as it was my mother's before me. I bought this Singer to give to my teenage granddaughter to learn on, but ended up liking it so much that I kept it and gave my granddaughter my 20 year old Singer. This machine has all the features that I used the most often on my old machine plus a few more. My favorite features that this machine has that my old one didn't, is (1) the self threading needle, (2) the clear, see-thru bobbin case so you always know how much bobbin thread you have left (3) the drop down needle position feature for easy pivoting around corners, and (4) the thread cutter.
Although I've made my own garments for years, I now have a small handbag business. I considered buying an industrial machine because I often sew on really thick fabrics like denim, but this machine easily sews through 4 layers of denim with interfacings! I also make alot of clothing from knit fabric and love the stretch stitches available on this machine. This machine is a real workhorse and I give it a 5 thumbs up!!
I have no negatives at all to say about this machine except that I wish the storage compartment was a little larger.
on June 13, 2013
I got this sewing machine for mother's day this year. I haven't sewn since I was a child and I was a little nervous so I watched the ready, set, sew! DVD first. Immediately after I was done with that, I wound a bobbin and threaded the machine. Both were very easy to do! I have already made two dresses for my two year old and some pillowcases for a friend! This is the perfect machine from a beginner. It is fool proof!
review image
11 comment| 413 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2011
I recently purchased this sewing machine because I got tired of having to go to my mom's to use hers. She has an old Singer machine (she wasn't sure of the model because she bought it from a school who was replacing all of theirs years ago) and I just loved it. It was straightforward to use and I could operate it without many hitches. I wanted to find a machine that was comparable to this old one. I'm not an expert sewer, so I didn't need anything extravagant; however, I do know enough of what I'm doing that I did want something that had some neat features.

This one was not as good as the old one - it was MUCH better! It is so easy to use. Threading the machine is a breeze; all the directions are printed on the actual machine. Winding a bobbin is a cinch. I love that there is a built-in thread cutter. Changing stitch patterns is super easy, and you can see an example of what the stitch will look like easily because it is printed right below the keypad. There are a couple of features I really didn't think I would care too much about, but I have ended up loving--the speed control feature, and the needle position feature. The speed control allows you to go as fast or slow as you want. You can set the speed to slow when you have a lot of intricate work to go through and the machine won't "take off" on you because you've pushed the pedal down too far. The needle position feature was also great. With a simple push of a button, the needle will stop in the "down" position so you don't pull material out of line with where you want to be sewing. My husband walked by while I was working on something the other night and said, "Wow that thing is really quiet, aren't they usually a lot louder??" - the machine is SO quiet, and I love that.

The only problem I have with the machine, and thus the 4-star rating (if I could have given it a 4 1/2 star I totally would have), is that it doesn't sew thick material very well. I was making a pair of sweat pants, and when I tried sewing down the waistband, it locked up and beeped. It was pretty dang thick though, and I really don't plan on sewing anything like that very often, so it's not a huge deal for me.

All in all, this is a fantastic machine. I would recommend this for anyone looking for a high quality machine that's simple to use.

UPDATE: I have used my machine so much over the past couple of months, and I still havent had a single problem with it! I still stand by my review that this is an AWESOME little machine!
review image
44 comments| 341 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2016
So funny story, I bought this machine back in Sept of 2013. That was 3 years ago. I bought it with intensions of starting to learn how to sew - well that never happened. For the next 3 years, this thing sat in my storage room in its original unopened box, being used as mainly a nicely shaped heavy box that all my other crap can pile on top of.

Imagine my surprise that in 2016 when I saw this pop up on amazon again, I was like "oh let's see how much it price dropped since I bought it" (note this is a really common thing w/ me, I buy stuff that I end up not using much and it price drops dramatically next time I check), and it turned out to be a good $40 MORE EXPENSIVE than when I bought it 3 years ago! O__O With most technology a 3 year gap would drop the price by hundreds - but I guess this totally doesn't apply to something like a sewing machine?

In any case, I finally pulled this out and started modifying a lot of my garments that have been in the "sell to resale shops or donate" bags. I did some research ahead of time on how to use it via youtube vids, and got ideas/steps/guides from various youtubers on how to mod my existing clothes to something new. I find this machine to be pretty beginner friendly as long as you do some basic research first. The booklet explains a lot of the parts very well but I mostly just glanced through it or skipped to the specific foots that I need to look for (ie zipper foot) since I got the rest of what I need to know from youtube.

This does come with a detachable foot pedal but also a start/stop button for if you don't want to use the foot pedal. I prefer the pedal as initially when I tried using the button I keep forgetting to press it when I need to stop. foot pedal, even for beginners, is much more intuitive. There's a speed control slider which lets you adjust the speed no matter how hard you press, which is suuuuuuper nice for beginner. At the lowest speed I find the machine to be not very noisy, but recently I changed it to medium speed for one of my projects and it did seem louder. I'm not sure how much dramatically louder the highest speed may be, but I don't think it'll really bother my housemates when their doors are closed (I work in the living room dining room table due to lack of space haha). I did notice that the plastic lid over the bobbin seem to shake at medium speed though...that part is a little worrying but I'm hoping it won't be that big of a problem, and I don't think I'll be moving on to full out medium and high speed yet.

There's a button for leaving the needle up or down when you stop sewing which became incredibly useful when I was working on long chunks of straight sewing that still required periodic adjustment. As someone else also mentioned, I did notice that when I turn the wheel to pull the needle up and try to pull my garment out sometimes it's hard to pull - that's because my needle wasn't at the highest point apparently. Initially I broke thread (and got paranoid I'm gonna bend the needle) but now I know to just turn the wheel some more and pull the needle up further. Once it's in the "nice" zone it's very easy to pull out.

There are maybe 3 things I'm not too happy with. One is the reverse stitch button - if you're using the foot pedal you basically have to wait a second or two before you can press that button, and vice versa. I'm guessing I know why for safety reason (or just how it's programmed), but what it means is that I find I can't do what I see a lot of youtubers are doing when doing back stitching - ie it's not nearly as fast. Most people I see them do a very speedy stop stitch, reverse stitch, then forward stitch and done. With this machine I have to stop wait a second, press the button, wait another second or two, then forward stitch again. If you don't wait long enough, you have to repress the button or the foot pedal - and if you do THAT too quickly it still doesn't work. What ends up happening is that I'm sitting there holding down the reverse button and nothing happens, I realize and I let go and repress and NOTHING HAPPENS. then I have stop and consciously count 1-2, and then press. It makes kind of a slow going and constantly causes me to forget to back stitch.

the other thing that I was a little meh about was the fact that there's no mini screwdriver that comes with the machine. This means if you want to replace the needle or open the bottom for cleaning/unjamming, you'll have to have a set of mini screw drivers on hand. Most standard screw drivers are not small enough to fit in that tiny space (for example the screw for holding the needle). This thing came with a mini seam ripper but not a mini screw driver. :( That bummed me out. I did end up buying a mini screwdriver set from amazon anyway, but it can be a bit irritating if you don't know and need to replace the needle and suddenly you have to pause your project. In my case, I ended up using a tweezer until I got my screwdriver set.

the last thing was that a few times the bobbin thread got jammed on the bottom of the plate and it was insanely difficult to remove. I had to seam rip my garment out of there and at a latter point I was able to use my seamripper again to pull out the clump of thread. I'm really not sure why it got jammed, but it happened 2-3 times, with the last time being particularly bad. I'm going to assume it's from my inexperience, but just wanted to put it out there that it did happen. Because I still didn't have the mini screw driver at the time, I couldn't open the bottom plate to remove the thread clump so again irritating that it didn't come with something that can open it.

Other than that, I LOVE this machine. So many different stitches AND it came with insane number of foots for free. I saw that a lot of other models/machines require you to buy the foots separately. The number of stitches and the number of foots that came for free was what really sold me on this (plus the price was excellent when I bought it and all the positive reviews!). As a total beginner to sewing, I find this to be a really excellent machine. Even at its current price it's still drastically cheaper than a lot of other machines with less stitches and attachments. Highly recommend this for beginners and intermediate sewers, but I imagine if you're a heavy duty seamstress, this might not really be for you (but I think if you're an experienced seamstress you'd know that anyway!)
on November 26, 2016
Unfortunately, mine broke after less than 6 months of use and no more than 20 hours total of sewing. Now I not only have to pay to have it shipped to be repaired, I also have to pay to get it packed because I didn't keep the box after months of having it. I do not recommend any singer machine and will never buy one again. The whole warranty process is horrible and disorganized.

***UPDATE 5.10.2017***
I sent my machine in for repair at the end of November 2016 I got it back right in time for my birthday, around April 21, 2017. When I called the Singer repair place to ask about it, they said they were waiting on Singer to send them the parts they needed. So I waited 5 months for repair. Now I have been sewing on it for probably 10 hours total since I got it back and it's broken again with a different error message. So I've had this sewing machine for 11 months and I was able to sew on it for no more than 35 hours. This is the worst purchase I have ever made and will never buy anything singer makes for as long as I live.
on December 28, 2014
I purchased the 7258 as a gift for my daughter in December.

I was putting the machine through it's paces with 5 pairs of denim jeans which I was hemming. I hemmed 4 pairs without issue. However, on the 5th pair of jeans, I received a pin prick near my thumb which drew blood. At first i thought that I must of stabbed myself on the many sharp parts near the eye of needle (I was threading the needle at the time). Fair enough, I continued with caution as this was a machine that was new to me.

Then it happened again. I received a much larger cut, 1/4" which again drew blood and was very similar to a very deep paper cut. Then I saw what was causing the cuts to my hand. It seems that the thread cutting guard broke (see attached pictures) exposing the razor blade. The piece of plastic which covers the blade can easily be broken. I had used the thread cutting features a few times and while using it I thought it was a nice feature. But it is poorly implemented. I'm not sure what caused the guard to break but the machine was not moved nor anything fell or touched the machine. I suspect the fabric got caught on it and snapped it. The plastic is thin and brittle so a thicker fabric could easily get snagged and break the plastic...and you wouldn't know it.

I would consider this a safety issue and a huge design flaw. It can cause bodily injury if you are unaware the guard broke off. Since you have to access the presser foot lever from behind the machine and fiddle with fabric back there, you can easily put a nice long gash on your arm or hand that may require stitches if you brush up on the exposed blade.

If you have this thread cutting tool, please remove it before you or someone using the machine gets hurt.

Removing the blade is easy to do and all that is required is a philips head screwdriver (the one that looks like a.. + ).

Please refer to your owners manual for instructions on how to remove the cover. Once the cover is off, there is one screw that holds the cutter in place. Remove the screw, remove the blade and toss it in the trash!

The machine itself is nice however, I can only give it one star due to the poor design of the thread cutter.

Please watch yourselves!
review image review image review image
1212 comments| 444 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2015
The bobbin winder on this machine stops the machine and causes an error. In researching the error online; I discovered this is a common issue with the 7256. Singer never returned any of my contact emails, and judging from there support blogs regarding the issue they are either deliberately ignoring the issue or completely clueless. Some users reported various fixes but none of them resolved my issue. I should have returned the item to Amazon; I even repackaged it but the holiday's came up and I got side tracked and for the price and the hassle; I'll just use a bobbin winder.
I grew up with big solid Singer sewing machines that even after 40 years still work flawlessly, although without the features of today's machines. It is sad that Singer isn't the product or the company it once was.
on July 29, 2016
This is my third singer sewing machine in 20 Years. I am still getting used to it, my previous machine was simpler but seemed to have better functionality with the small details (thread cutter on this machine seems to be in an awkward place, automatic needle threader on this machine gets in the way frequently, and the backwards sew function is not precise as to when the needle stops and starts). The biggest annoyance I have with this machine is the foot pedal cord. I like running the cord behind the machine so it comes down the back of my table and to my foot (so there is no annoying cord in front of me or on my workspace, or running down the front of the table on which I am working. The way this machine is designed makes this impossible because the 1/8 inch jack for the cord is at the front right side of the machine and the cord is maybe 4 feet long. if I try to run the cord back and behind my work surface, the foot pedal just barely touches the floor - annoying. Can't just buy a longer cable because it's hardwired on. Can't find an extension anywhere. Have to have the machine at the right edge of the work surface to keep the cord out of the way. The machine sews well, just lots of small annoyances and seemingly poor design choices based on my preferences and previous experience.
on February 27, 2015
I've been sewing for about 40 years. I also sold sewing machines at a local sewing repair shop. This is a nice machine, I was able to thread machine and select stitches without help of instructions or DVD, for someone who has experience using sewing machines it's very easy to operate. For someone new to sewing machines, keep in mind, it takes time & patience to learn the functions of any sewing machine, so I would recommend this machine for any beginner, it's just that easy to learn on. Don't get discouraged or feel its to technical, take one step at a time, most problems with machines, such as threads breaking, machine jamming etc.etc. is due to tension adjustments, improper threading, incorrect bobbin or winding or incorrect needle for fabric. Once you gain experience on the machines operation thru trial and error you'll find this machine is quite nice for the money. One other nice feature for those who have back issues or difficulty with pain in their legs that using a foot petal is difficult, this machine can be operated without the foot pedal. It has a start/stop button on face a machine. (Update..as of 3/26/16 I'm still in love with this machine. I use it all the time and never had a issue. Great machine).
review image review image review image
33 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse