Oil month Automotive Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Showing 1-10 of 2,067 reviews(Positive, Verified Purchases). See all 2,626 reviews
on November 27, 2016
I've been sewing for over 50 years (No, I'm not old, I just started really young). I've used Brother, Pfaff, and Singer sewing machines, but Singer has always been my #1 sewing machine of choice as it was my mother's before me. I bought this Singer to give to my teenage granddaughter to learn on, but ended up liking it so much that I kept it and gave my granddaughter my 20 year old Singer. This machine has all the features that I used the most often on my old machine plus a few more. My favorite features that this machine has that my old one didn't, is (1) the self threading needle, (2) the clear, see-thru bobbin case so you always know how much bobbin thread you have left (3) the drop down needle position feature for easy pivoting around corners, and (4) the thread cutter.
Although I've made my own garments for years, I now have a small handbag business. I considered buying an industrial machine because I often sew on really thick fabrics like denim, but this machine easily sews through 4 layers of denim with interfacings! I also make alot of clothing from knit fabric and love the stretch stitches available on this machine. This machine is a real workhorse and I give it a 5 thumbs up!!
I have no negatives at all to say about this machine except that I wish the storage compartment was a little larger.
44 comments| 298 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 23, 2016
I'm new to sewing. I love this sewing machine. I've made t-shrits for me and dresses and stuff for my niece. I literally never sewed before but this sewing machine was perfect. It's solid and has everything you need to get started. Now that I'm a little more seasoned (i.e. I've been sewing for a couple of months) I want one that can do more stuff, but to be honest buying anything more fancy for someone who sews as hobby isn't really necessary.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
66 comments| 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 21, 2016
So funny story, I bought this machine back in Sept of 2013. That was 3 years ago. I bought it with intensions of starting to learn how to sew - well that never happened. For the next 3 years, this thing sat in my storage room in its original unopened box, being used as mainly a nicely shaped heavy box that all my other crap can pile on top of.

Imagine my surprise that in 2016 when I saw this pop up on amazon again, I was like "oh let's see how much it price dropped since I bought it" (note this is a really common thing w/ me, I buy stuff that I end up not using much and it price drops dramatically next time I check), and it turned out to be a good $40 MORE EXPENSIVE than when I bought it 3 years ago! O__O With most technology a 3 year gap would drop the price by hundreds - but I guess this totally doesn't apply to something like a sewing machine?

In any case, I finally pulled this out and started modifying a lot of my garments that have been in the "sell to resale shops or donate" bags. I did some research ahead of time on how to use it via youtube vids, and got ideas/steps/guides from various youtubers on how to mod my existing clothes to something new. I find this machine to be pretty beginner friendly as long as you do some basic research first. The booklet explains a lot of the parts very well but I mostly just glanced through it or skipped to the specific foots that I need to look for (ie zipper foot) since I got the rest of what I need to know from youtube.

This does come with a detachable foot pedal but also a start/stop button for if you don't want to use the foot pedal. I prefer the pedal as initially when I tried using the button I keep forgetting to press it when I need to stop. foot pedal, even for beginners, is much more intuitive. There's a speed control slider which lets you adjust the speed no matter how hard you press, which is suuuuuuper nice for beginner. At the lowest speed I find the machine to be not very noisy, but recently I changed it to medium speed for one of my projects and it did seem louder. I'm not sure how much dramatically louder the highest speed may be, but I don't think it'll really bother my housemates when their doors are closed (I work in the living room dining room table due to lack of space haha). I did notice that the plastic lid over the bobbin seem to shake at medium speed though...that part is a little worrying but I'm hoping it won't be that big of a problem, and I don't think I'll be moving on to full out medium and high speed yet.

There's a button for leaving the needle up or down when you stop sewing which became incredibly useful when I was working on long chunks of straight sewing that still required periodic adjustment. As someone else also mentioned, I did notice that when I turn the wheel to pull the needle up and try to pull my garment out sometimes it's hard to pull - that's because my needle wasn't at the highest point apparently. Initially I broke thread (and got paranoid I'm gonna bend the needle) but now I know to just turn the wheel some more and pull the needle up further. Once it's in the "nice" zone it's very easy to pull out.

There are maybe 3 things I'm not too happy with. One is the reverse stitch button - if you're using the foot pedal you basically have to wait a second or two before you can press that button, and vice versa. I'm guessing I know why for safety reason (or just how it's programmed), but what it means is that I find I can't do what I see a lot of youtubers are doing when doing back stitching - ie it's not nearly as fast. Most people I see them do a very speedy stop stitch, reverse stitch, then forward stitch and done. With this machine I have to stop wait a second, press the button, wait another second or two, then forward stitch again. If you don't wait long enough, you have to repress the button or the foot pedal - and if you do THAT too quickly it still doesn't work. What ends up happening is that I'm sitting there holding down the reverse button and nothing happens, I realize and I let go and repress and NOTHING HAPPENS. then I have stop and consciously count 1-2, and then press. It makes kind of a slow going and constantly causes me to forget to back stitch.

the other thing that I was a little meh about was the fact that there's no mini screwdriver that comes with the machine. This means if you want to replace the needle or open the bottom for cleaning/unjamming, you'll have to have a set of mini screw drivers on hand. Most standard screw drivers are not small enough to fit in that tiny space (for example the screw for holding the needle). This thing came with a mini seam ripper but not a mini screw driver. :( That bummed me out. I did end up buying a mini screwdriver set from amazon anyway, but it can be a bit irritating if you don't know and need to replace the needle and suddenly you have to pause your project. In my case, I ended up using a tweezer until I got my screwdriver set.

the last thing was that a few times the bobbin thread got jammed on the bottom of the plate and it was insanely difficult to remove. I had to seam rip my garment out of there and at a latter point I was able to use my seamripper again to pull out the clump of thread. I'm really not sure why it got jammed, but it happened 2-3 times, with the last time being particularly bad. I'm going to assume it's from my inexperience, but just wanted to put it out there that it did happen. Because I still didn't have the mini screw driver at the time, I couldn't open the bottom plate to remove the thread clump so again irritating that it didn't come with something that can open it.

Other than that, I LOVE this machine. So many different stitches AND it came with insane number of foots for free. I saw that a lot of other models/machines require you to buy the foots separately. The number of stitches and the number of foots that came for free was what really sold me on this (plus the price was excellent when I bought it and all the positive reviews!). As a total beginner to sewing, I find this to be a really excellent machine. Even at its current price it's still drastically cheaper than a lot of other machines with less stitches and attachments. Highly recommend this for beginners and intermediate sewers, but I imagine if you're a heavy duty seamstress, this might not really be for you (but I think if you're an experienced seamstress you'd know that anyway!)
11 comment| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 13, 2013
I got this sewing machine for mother's day this year. I haven't sewn since I was a child and I was a little nervous so I watched the ready, set, sew! DVD first. Immediately after I was done with that, I wound a bobbin and threaded the machine. Both were very easy to do! I have already made two dresses for my two year old and some pillowcases for a friend! This is the perfect machine from a beginner. It is fool proof!
review image
11 comment| 516 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 15, 2017
My favorite sewing machine I've ever used. This machine takes the guess work out of sewing and makes my projects a breeze. I use this for my sewing buisness. It's light and portable.
on December 19, 2011
I recently purchased this sewing machine because I got tired of having to go to my mom's to use hers. She has an old Singer machine (she wasn't sure of the model because she bought it from a school who was replacing all of theirs years ago) and I just loved it. It was straightforward to use and I could operate it without many hitches. I wanted to find a machine that was comparable to this old one. I'm not an expert sewer, so I didn't need anything extravagant; however, I do know enough of what I'm doing that I did want something that had some neat features.

This one was not as good as the old one - it was MUCH better! It is so easy to use. Threading the machine is a breeze; all the directions are printed on the actual machine. Winding a bobbin is a cinch. I love that there is a built-in thread cutter. Changing stitch patterns is super easy, and you can see an example of what the stitch will look like easily because it is printed right below the keypad. There are a couple of features I really didn't think I would care too much about, but I have ended up loving--the speed control feature, and the needle position feature. The speed control allows you to go as fast or slow as you want. You can set the speed to slow when you have a lot of intricate work to go through and the machine won't "take off" on you because you've pushed the pedal down too far. The needle position feature was also great. With a simple push of a button, the needle will stop in the "down" position so you don't pull material out of line with where you want to be sewing. My husband walked by while I was working on something the other night and said, "Wow that thing is really quiet, aren't they usually a lot louder??" - the machine is SO quiet, and I love that.

The only problem I have with the machine, and thus the 4-star rating (if I could have given it a 4 1/2 star I totally would have), is that it doesn't sew thick material very well. I was making a pair of sweat pants, and when I tried sewing down the waistband, it locked up and beeped. It was pretty dang thick though, and I really don't plan on sewing anything like that very often, so it's not a huge deal for me.

All in all, this is a fantastic machine. I would recommend this for anyone looking for a high quality machine that's simple to use.

UPDATE: I have used my machine so much over the past couple of months, and I still havent had a single problem with it! I still stand by my review that this is an AWESOME little machine!
review image
44 comments| 370 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 27, 2015
I've been sewing for about 40 years. I also sold sewing machines at a local sewing repair shop. This is a nice machine, I was able to thread machine and select stitches without help of instructions or DVD, for someone who has experience using sewing machines it's very easy to operate. For someone new to sewing machines, keep in mind, it takes time & patience to learn the functions of any sewing machine, so I would recommend this machine for any beginner, it's just that easy to learn on. Don't get discouraged or feel its to technical, take one step at a time, most problems with machines, such as threads breaking, machine jamming etc.etc. is due to tension adjustments, improper threading, incorrect bobbin or winding or incorrect needle for fabric. Once you gain experience on the machines operation thru trial and error you'll find this machine is quite nice for the money. One other nice feature for those who have back issues or difficulty with pain in their legs that using a foot petal is difficult, this machine can be operated without the foot pedal. It has a start/stop button on face a machine. (Update..as of 3/26/16 I'm still in love with this machine. I use it all the time and never had a issue. Great machine).
review imagereview imagereview image
33 comments| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 16, 2016
I've been sewing all my life. I grew up with my mom's old-school singer that was built into a table. In High School, she bought a new one that I've been borrowing ever since. I always wanted my own but assumed they'd be way too expensive. I was wrong! This machine is perfect! This is what I've been doing with it....

-sewing dresses and skirts with elastic and elastic thread (with many Ive been sewing on top of the elastic)
-sewing dog collars with thick nylon
-hemming jeans (I bought a jean needle and jean thread for this)
-tailoring men's shirts
-hemming yoga pants (I bought a twin needle for stretch fabric)

***All the extras I purchased from Amazon of course!

MANY of my products require several layers of heavy fabric and I've had no problems. I did have to return my first Singer Stylist as it made a funny clicky noise that made me nervous. However, Amazon let me return for free! My new machine is perfect! I was worried this machine that specializes in fancy/pretty stitches would not be heavy duty enough but so far it suits all my needs (as long as you buy the correct needles)! I have really put it to the test and have not been disappointed. My FAVorite feature is the automatic needle threader. I'll never go back! Thanks Amazon and Singer!
on July 10, 2017
Best inexpensive machine out there. As a quilter, I spent my big money on a free-motion Juki, but this little back-up and fancy stitch machine sews rings around the expensive all-purpose machines that my quilting buddies have. I own two of them- one at home and one at our vacation home because they are so affordable. I especially LOVE the start/stop button, which allows me to sew foot-free. I get more hours at the machine when I don't have to press the accelerator with my foot. Love this baby!
on December 21, 2015
I'm no expert when it comes to sewing. I had gotten another brand name sewing/embroidery machine a few years back and I think I used it 10 times and that was just the sewing part. The bobbin thingy was way too complicated.
I've been looking for a sewing machine for a while now. Something simple and easy to use. Yay! I finally found one.
This SINGER 7258 is perfect for me. I still have a long journey with it, figuring out what is what and how. But so far, it seems to be doing great. I'm finding the instructions very easy and it's super simple to use.
All the parts function with ease. I had no issues setting it up or reading the user manual.
LED Display Screen is clear and easy to understand
Needle is easy to thread.
The reverse button I found out that you don't have to even use the peddle. It just automatically goes in reverse when the button is pushed.
The peddle pushes smoothly, not sticking or any issues.
Overall I'm quite happy with this sewing machine. If any changes arise, I will come back to follow up.

[i did NOT receive this item at any discount nor for free for my honest and unbiased review. my opinion is that of my own.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image