Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Size: 77 mm|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,504 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,634 reviews
on October 6, 2016
Came here to purchase another B+W filter, and here's why...

...last night my wife came home from a photoshoot a little flustered. It was a bit overcast and some of the photos didn't turn out as well as she thought they could have. I was upstairs replacing some light bulbs, but had left the ladder downstairs. My wife bounced around the ladder, but had forgotten to snap the cover shut on the camera bag that she uses, and out flops her camera, lens first.

Now let me backup here. My wife shoots weddings/families/portraits with a Canon 6D with L series lenses: the 24-70 f/2.8L II, the 70-200 f/2.8L II, the 100mm macro, the Sigma 50mm ART lens, etc... They have had B+W filters on them all for the past three years, and they've been great. Tack sharp images all around. No perceivable loss of quality whatsoever. They're also a cheap form of insurance for your nice lenses. I don't know if you've looked up the price of the Canon 24-70L II recently, but let's just say it's still upwards of $1,700.

Now back to the camera flopping out of the camera bag. The lens hit the (carpeted) floor directly on the lens cap, crunching the B+W filter glass in the process. Horrified, I gently pried the glass out of the filter to check the (certain) damage to the front element of the lens. To my pleasant surprise, once the filter glass had been removed, there wasn't a SINGLE scratch on the actual lens glass. Not one. Attached is a pic of the damage.

This $60 filter saved our $1,700 lens. And that's exactly why I'm buying another one.
review image
44 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2012
There seems to perpetually be some discussion regarding filters, no filters, expensive filters, cheap filters, on and on. Well, I personally believe in using filters, and going with branded, but cheap.

Well, maybe not anymore.

I've personally used a 67mm Tiffen UV protection filter for about 4 years. I recently purchased a EF-S 17-85 IS USM, and decided that instead of just buying another 67mm Tiffen, I'd invest in a B+W MRC filter and see what all the hype is about.

This review is not about the physical protective characteristics of the filter, no review is done on the MRC coating of the B+W.

The two filters are physically very similar, both are slim filters, and both feel very nice in the hand. The B+W has brass lettering (the filter itself is made from brass) while the Tiffen is aluminum, with enamel lettering. Both are very well built. The B+W is somewhat better labeled, with labels that are less likely to get damaged located on the inside of the filter ring. The Tiffen has slightly rougher knurling, and i lighter than the B+W, but the feel of the B+W is slightly better.

When it comes to filters, we're most concerned about filter flare. I have noticed slightly better color depth on the B+W, but this is somewhat subjective and easily corrected in post-processing.

If you choose to use a filter, the B+W is worth it. If you're not sure if you want to use a filter, I personally will continue to use my B+W. While i understand small scratches on my 70-200 are minor, I value the resale value of my lens, and I also work in the rain, with sand, and accidents happen - you will touch your lens one day. I would personally rather accidentally scratch my filter than my lens.

Additionally a common cause of scratching is cleaning your lens with a speck of sand under the cloth. This can happen to anyone, and again, I'd rather scratch the filter than the lens.

Also take a look at the images I've uploaded. I have also posted this review with the Tiffen.
review image review image
88 comments| 411 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon June 4, 2014
There are certain products that you use over the years and always go back to because of it's top quality. You don't even look at other products. B+W products are engineered into that category.

I recently transitioned from all pro grade Nikon gear and bodies to the Fujifilm line, starting with the X100s. As 49mm was not a common filter size with my previous gear, I purchased a B+W. As usual, I was not dissapointed. Unlike many other filters, the B+W has some weight to it that makes it feel substantial in your hand (brass ring versus aluminum). The build quality is perfect. Unlike aluminum, the brass ring and threads prevent binding, making it easier to remove and put back on.

As there has been, and always will be, great debate as to the impact of filters on a final image, many are concerned with placing an additional layer of glass between the subject and the lens front element. After wading through the debate over twenty years and being on both sides, all I can tell you is that B+W filters do not affect image quality in my opinion. I experience no distortion with their crystal clear glass. There is no color cast and white balance remains unaffected.

Hands down, the best engineered glass and construction on the market. Worth every penny.
on December 10, 2013
I wish I had just ordered this filter in the beginning. These are really expensive and cause you to pause when you need to outfit seven really expensive L series Canon lenses. This is not the place to try and save some money, especially if you do any professional shooting.

I originally went with HOYA top of the line MRC filters which are a bit less expensive. Unfortunately, if they get dirty, it is almost impossible to get them clean again - especially if the dirt on the filter is oily like finger prints or skin oil. No matter which optical cleaning solution you use they will leave a very slight haze on the filter and this is after almost 20 minutes of cleaning. Not a good thing to happen during a shoot when the talent and crew are standing around waiting for you.

I then tested the B+W non MRC filters, these are good as long as no light source is in the frame - you will have ghosting especially at night. For about 30 additional dollars you get the MRC version and this is at the top of the filter hierarchy. I had previously worked in Motion Pictures and the B+W coatings are far superior to all the different brands I have previously worked with doing film.

Finally, I bit the bullet and ordered a bunch of the B+W MRC filters. They are perfect and clean very easily. I am slowly but surely replacing all my other filters with these exceptional filters. I also use one of their circular polarizers (had to sell a kid to afford it) but it is amazing and produces great results at the right angles.

Summary: This is the top of the line absolute best filter for UV haze protection that is easy to clean, durable and very high quality construction. The only downside is they are very expensive.
on September 23, 2015
Sometimes I forget I have these filters installed. I purchased 2 of these 47mm filters for my A7 camera lenses, one for the Sony FE 28mm f/2 lens, and the other for the Sony 55mm F/1.8 lens. They are crystal clear and keep my lenses well protected. I have not noticed any additional reflections compared to without the filter. While I'm sure they help with bright sunlight shooting situations, I'm using them primarily as lens protection. They also work well with the lens hoods for my lenses.
review image review image review image review image
I ordered this to protect my lens on my new NEX 5TL camera. I almost bought some of the cheaper filters because it was just for protection by after reading the various reviews for the cheaper filters, I was more than willing to spend more on a filter that wouldn't alter my pictures and especially for the worse. I notice no difference in the quality of my pictures with or without it on but this comes from a photography novice.

It came well packaged and it looks flawless and crystal clear. I have much more piece of mind knowing that this is on my lens protecting it at seemingly no cost to picture quality. Also I should note for other novices that the lens cap will fit this as well.

If you're spending a lot on a camera or a new lens, I honestly see no good reason not to use a high quality filter like this. Easy recommendation from me.

UPDATE: first filter was the 40.5mm and recently bought 49mm. Again packaged well and crystal clear. Definitely get more piece of mind using it on my new pricy lens.
There is no point putting crummy glass in front of a good lens. You will lose any advantage of good optics. So a haze filter has a lot of uses--it cuts UV haze (the haze you might not be able to see, but which washes out your landscapes), and it protects your lens from fingerprints, dust, dirt and moisture.

These B+W filters are made from ground optical glass (Schott, I think) which makes them optical quality, not window glass quality. The filter ring is brass for easy removal (the threads are very fine on these filters and they can deform.)

I put this on my 70-250mm zoom lens, which is my best lens and one I want to protect. It's easy to clean off--something valuable when you are out in misty weather. Some filters just smear when you try to clean them--the coating on this one makes it easy to clean with lens tissue.
on July 22, 2017
There's not a whole lot to say other than the fact that B+W produces some absolutely fantastic filters. The coatings are top notch and I've noticed no vignetting or drop off in light transmission. The glass is clear and high quality, which is important since any additional element you add in the path of the light will inevitably have an effect on the quality of the final image. The quality of B+W's glass and coatings make any such degradation negligible. The only thing to keep in mind is that if shooting into light sources, you're more likely to get ghosting than if you're not using a filter, but that's just a function of using any sort of filter no matter the brand.
on November 24, 2016
Like the filters so far, although on one of them the coating seems to be a little uneven in places. Don't know enough yet to say much more, i.e., flare, etc. I use mine primarily to protect against accidental scratches and other damage in the field. But what I do particularly like about any filter is that, if it gets a fingerprint on it, you can clean it with soap and cold water in the sink. You can't do that to the lens itself. Just be careful not to scratch while smearing the soap around (use a finger only, no rag or brush, and wash hands thoroughly first). Rinse well in cold water and dry thoroughly on a clean microfiber cloth, taking care to remove all traces of water from the place where the glass meets the rim, especially on the inside where any residual moisture will be trapped.
on December 14, 2013
If you want something a bit better than Vivitar, Tiffen, or Hoya but not as much as Heliopan (the best!), B + W is a good option. They are well made.
I have been a SLR then DSLR photographer for 37 years. Also medium and large format too.
I think using a clear or UV filter is a good idea for protection. Not all out dropping a lens on camera on concrete from a window or even your car roof. That will destroy a lens with or without a filter. But rather for incidental spray (camel spit, water, etc.) and scrape and bump damage. Rain, keys, brick walls, crowds, travel, etc. The filter and the metal rim can take all that and even be mucked up. But the lens is *behind* that minor stuff.
But a direct hit on the center, with or without a filter, the lens and the filter will *both* be toast.
Pros will say do not use or they do not use a filter. Hey, if your gear is not your gear or you are a top pro with $$ or it is owned by a publisher, company, school, etc. you work for – no problem. If it breaks, they can just go buy another $200 to $2000+ lens. But freelancers and hobbyists cannot!
I say, compromise, use a good filter with good glass that is not too expensive. B + W is a good medium pick.
If you still have the kit lenses, just use Tiffen or cheaper brand filters or, none at all. Those lenses are cheap anyway. But if a lens is good or expensive, use a UV filter for minor protection of the front bezel and element.