Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > 808s & Heartbreak forum

808s & Heartbreak Full Record Review

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2008, 2:19:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2008, 9:54:18 PM PST
I. Diaz says:
Overall Record Review : 7.5/10

I have had the album now for some time and i have listened to it non-stop and I own all his records. Let me just say that it's his most artistic and experimental record out. You will need to be open minded to really like this record. he uses auto-tune to have that voice effect alot as heard in love lockdown. I have over 800 albums so i am used to all hearing all genres of music. Here goes:

1) Say You Will - the entire song has a very basic 5 second drum pattern with 2 easy electronic notes and ends by using the snare drum. He has the angelic voices going on throughout the whole song. The first half of the song he sings about women being real to her words. Telling them to do what they say. He is not specific as to what. the second half of the song, the last 3 minutes, he doesn't sing and all you hear are the angelic voices and drum pattern. The most basic and interesting song on the album at over 6 minutes long.

2) Welcome to the heartbreak featuring Kid Cudi - the song has a small piano sample piece throughout the song with an easy electronic normal sounding beat with a little thud at the end of the beat. he also uses synthesizers. The song is about all the different times he has made mistakes in his life.

3) Heartless - the second single off the album. The song has a normal mainstream beat with a one note flute sample that works throughout the song. the song is mainly about his lady flippin out on him and changing as she is being cold harded to him.

4) Amazing (ft Young Jeezy) - one of the best songs on the album. the song has a simple drum pattern with a consistent drum tap to it. there is a piano sample as well when young jeezy starts rapping. the song also has the angelic sample sounds. the song is about being prideful and proud about it.

5) Love Lockdown - first single off this record - if you are reading this, im sure you've already heard this song. Unique 4 beat bass line with some piano samples in there. he uses a synthesizer as well. he does use autotune to change his voice. the chorus has an exquisite congo drum pattern to it. the rest is history. one of the best songs on the album.

6)Paranoid - featuring Mr. Hudson - this song is one of his experimental songs. he really emphasizes using synthesizers for his electronic beats, with arena sounding drums. the melody of the song reminds me alot of new wave music from the 80's, some devo. its his most danceable song on the record. the song is about making his lady a star as she has nothing to fear because he is there for her and although complications arise, things will be ok. very different song.

7) Robocop - his most artistic and eclectic song on the record, lyrically and musically. he really experiments with electronic sounds and this might be the hardest song on the record for people to grasp. with the wittiest chorus ever, "you moving like a robocop, when did you become a robocop, i dont need no robocop". he emphasizes using a synthesizer with a machine like thud sample at the end of his looped unique beat. he has a small orchestral sample thought the song. the song is about acting his lady spoiled and him wanting change.

8)Street Lights - he uses autotune to change his voice often accompanied with a piano sample. drums are congo sounding like but not as emphasized as in love lockdown. there is a group that sings in the backround that sound like angels in the sky. by far his most humble song on the record. i interpret the song to be about all his ups and downs in his life and where he ultimately wants to be symbolically speaking. my personal favorite song on the album.

9) Bad News - as the title states, this is saddest song on his album.to make this beat, he uses some piano, orchestral samples, consistent drum taps, and his two beat congo drum/bass samples. the song appears to be about his girl cheating on him. that "my face turned into stone when i heard the news"

10) See You In My Nightmares featuring Lil Wayne - this song starts off by stressing the synthesizers as is through out the whole song , with a basic low souding congo like drum pattern, and has an orchestral piece. the song is basically about him leaving his girl once in for all. nothing out of the ordinary.

11) Coldest Winter - starts off with an outstanding electronic 3 second sample with a fast tiking sound through out the whole song. he does stress the congo like drums on this song, with some unique keyboard samples. the song is about leaving his friend and him wondering if he will ever love again.

**12) Pinocchio Story (Live)- Bonus Song - at 6 minutes long, the song is recorded live as you can hear the crowd yelling in the backround. the melody to the song is really mellow,just using easy piano and an easy orchestral piece. however, kanye does release his anger as he raises his voice often about him being real and not fake. he really talks about the material brands and things saying they dont really exist when in misery.

In conclusion, i congratulate kanye in going in a different musical direction. this is somewhat of a risky record to release but its obvious that he wants to be known being different. although this is a ground breaking record, reaching new heights, it is my least favorite record he has released. If i had to rate the entire album, i would give it a 7.5 out of 10.

If you really like this record and would like to know more hip hop artists like kanye in this record, check out:
Cadence Weapon - Breaking Kayfabe (electronic rap)
The Bug - London Zoo (experimantal rap)
Cadence Weapon - Afterparty Babies (electro rap)
Prefuse 73- One Word Extinguisher (glitchy electronic rap)
Dizzee Rascal - Boy In The Corner (european electronic rap)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2008, 7:40:09 PM PST
J says:
awesome review...u know ur stuff...dj much?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2008, 12:51:07 PM PST
I. Diaz says:
i dont dj. i just have a love for all genres of music.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2008, 10:13:41 AM PST
A. Branch says:
I agree with you, you have to be very open-minded to this cd, it's more than just beats to hear, it's a heart break album and he's pouring out his pain to us in his music.........I love this side of Kanye......I like this record 2nd to his first album
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  808s & Heartbreak forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
808s & Heartbreak
808s & Heartbreak by Kanye West (Audio CD - 2008)
4.0 out of 5 stars (471)