Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on August 28, 2011
I returned these because the bulbs were actually about 5 1/2" long, not the 4" stated in the description. They didn't fit in my fixtures. Too bad, because I like the look!
22 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 17, 2013
Works well and is just as bright out brighter than the incandescent, but it's huge. I uploaded a picture of it next to the one it replaced so you can week just how big it is.
review image
on June 8, 2012
I bought three of these GE Energy Smart compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL's) with candelabra base to replace three 40-watt incandescent bulbs in an IKEA floor lamp. Sure, the incandescents worked fine, but they put out a lot of heat and use a ton of electricity. Three bulbs times 40 watts apiece equals 120 watts total. I replaced the bulbs with three GE candelabra bulbs at 9 watts each (27 watts total) that put out the exact same amount of light. So, 120 watts minus 27 watts equals a 93 watt energy savings. Not too shabby, in my book.

Be aware of a couple of things before you make a purchase: A) these CFL bulbs do take about thirty to forty seconds or so to "warm up" to full brightness after you turn them on, but I think it's a minor quibble in exchange for their lower cost of operation and longer life; and B) the bulbs are longer than incandescent candelabra bulbs, about 6 inches from base to tip.

The product's specs from the packaging are as follows:

9 watts;
430 lumens;
2700 K color temperature;
6000 hour estimated life;
4-year warranty (guaranteed to last at least 4 years, based on 4 hours of use per day).
on July 1, 2011
This is a nice light, however, since it is intended to replace a candelabra type bulb it really should be daintier, with more resemblance to a candle flame. This is probably beyond the technology at the moment but it could be a goal? Also, the light has more yellow content than a comparable incandescent bulb making it a bit softer than I would prefer.

Longevity is the most important quality of these bulbs as they are expensive. I have not had them in use long enough to evaluate their service life, so I will attempt to update this at a later date.

P.S. (1/30/2014) All 4 bulbs that I originally installed are still working. They are "on" all night every night and are mounted bottoms down in enclosed fixtures! The fixtures are designed for two smaller candelabra bulbs, but we are using these bulbs singly in each fixture. They look really nice!

P.S. (7/30/2015) All four are still on all night every night, and all 4 are still working!

P.S. (5/15/2016) One of the four bulbs finally burned out this week. We still like them so we reordered!
on December 6, 2012
For some stupid reason, I thought this was an LED bulb when I ordered two of them. That was my fault, not this light bulb's.

I can't speak to the longevity of the bulb's life, but it is a very long bulb none the less. It comes in at a little more than 5 inches when you consider the base. This makes the bulbs too long for my kitchen chandelier. Thankfully, I was able to use them in taller fixtures above the sink and near my front door. Color rendering and light temperature (2700K) are exactly as advertised and I couldn't be happier.

Well, I could be happier if the bulbs were two inches shorter and would fit in my kitchen chandelier without sticking up over the top... and were LEDs.
on May 18, 2015
This bulb is huge; fits socket but sticks out above lampshade. Lesson to myself I'm passing on to you: be SURE you measure how much height you have in your lampshade for a bulb to not stick out over the top before you order this very long bulb! If I had done that, I wouldn't have ordered this one, which stuck out about an inch above the top of my shade.... I'm giving it away to a flea market since its low cost negated a request for a return for a refund.
on February 27, 2014
Bought these to replace regular light bulbs in our driveway post light. For inexplicable reasons two of the regular bulbs had shattered during this, relatively harsh, New England winter. The post light contains three (3) candelabra-style light bulbs. Thus far, the three GE Energy Smart CFL 9-watt replacement bulbs have performed well. After a warming up period (at least, that's my sense, which may not be factual), the three bulbs provide plenty of light for a driveway post light. It takes a bit of time to brighten fully, but we do not consider that an inconvenience (even if the deduction of one star accounts for the one star deduction.) Generally speaking, we are pleased with the bulbs and pleased with the (even if negligible) savings.. Hope that they last even half the period projected.
on August 15, 2012
CFL with a candelabra base. Bought it for my desk, not so much as a desk lamp but to be used to illuminate my desk and a fairly moody room light for when I don't want to use the overheads. The CFL element is old school (meaning one of the first) because it takes a couple of minutes to fully warm up and come to full brightness. I don't mind that at all because the older CFL's with extended warm up times last longer than the new "squiggle" custard ice cream cone bulbs. You sacrifice lamp life for faster warm up time... So I expect this thing to last a really long time and it burns only 9 watts while giving off the lumens of a 40-45 watt regular bulb. How can you not love that?
VINE VOICEon April 12, 2013
Compact fluorescents are becomeing the standard for lightbulbs, and the increased life (especially for a hard-to-reach spot) and energy savings make it a good thing. But measure the space where you'll be putting this bulb before purchasing it--the bulb is considerably bigger than traditional "candelabra" based bulbs, and may not fit in the chandelier or ceiling fan in which you're planning to place it. (It was a close fit in my ceiling fan).

As it was just installed, I can't speak to bulb life. I do hope it lasts longer than some of the "spiral" bulbs I've used, whose stated life was overly optimistic.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 30, 2012
If you're buying this size bulb, chances are you need it for a candelabra of floor lamp of sorts.

Bottom line: These are longer than all the other brands. I've used various other brands in my floor overhead sofa lamp - you know, the kind with 5 long stems that are nearly ceiling height and hang over a sofa or whatnot.

Anyway, these don't fit - they are simply too long. Lots of other brands do. I imagine these wouldn't fit in all sorts of candelabra type lamps. They are really just too long.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.